Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking a cue off of a thread in the General forum, what would you loyal Tiger riders trade your sturdy steed for?

I was considering trading mine for something else if it was a great deal. A local guy here traded his Sprint 1050 for a '02 Tiger straight up. I've seen his Sprint and I hope the Tiger was well cared for!
I've been thinking on what I'd trade my baby for but haven't come up with an equal enough bike to trade for.

Block

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
When I went through my mid life crisis at 40 yrs old, my (now ex)partner said "you get that Subaru and I'll leave you", she didn't and I got a 305bhp Prodrive Imreza :D

Then I wanted a new Tiger 955 and she came up with the same threat. I bought one and she buggered off :(

The bike's great :D

So I traded in my partner for a Tiger !

Cost me an absolute fortune, as any divorced fella will tell you !!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Hmmm....interesting question. I really do like my Tiger alot. It is the right bike for me at this time. Might be a beemer out there I might trade for but I'm not sure which one. Think I will just hold on to the Tiger.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've thought of this on a few occasions... and I still come back to not wanting to part with my mint 955i. Its just too perfect for my needs and very rare in these parts -- which I like.

The only other bike I'd like to have in my stable right now is a MINT 1994 or 1995 Sprint 900 or Trident 900

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Nothin really, just another bike of some sort that speaks to me. Perhaps a current Scrambler or even a BSA rocket or a BSA Firebird perhaps.

Nothing much modern these days grabs me.

Mick :cool:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought my 09 1050 new from the nearest dealer by email while overseas. Didn't let on to wife what I had done, picked up the bike and rode it home.

Wife is in the kitchen with her sister and I can see the :eek: looks as I ride into the drive, now I'm for it :rolleyes:.

Gets into the house to be greeted by an unexpected question:-
^":Where's my car?"
>"What do you mean?"
^"What have you done with my car?
>"Nothing."
^"Then where is it?"
>"It's at the train station where I parked to go get the bike."
^"That's all right then, I thought that you had traded it in for that bike."
>"So you don't mind that I bought the bike then?"
^"Oh no I knew you were going to do that sooner or later"

:( left feeling deflated and emotionally short changed, am I that transparent, I had been building myself up to a good solid bollocking too. I'm just going out to the garege to look at my new Tiger again dear :D

·
Registered
255 Posts
If I actually had to pay for it, then most likely nothing. I kind of blew my bike cash on the '09 XR1200.
If its just fantasy and what would I rather have I think I might like an R1200GS mainly because I do like the Telelever front end and the idea of abs. Plus I also think BMW does a better job of designing a whole package than just about anyone else (luggage and other accessories). We now have a good BMW dealer which was the main reason I didn't get one when I bought the Tiger.
I alos like the look of the KTM Super Motard tourer but its not available here.
For the most part though, I'm pretty content with my 955. I use it mostly to commute and over time I've gotten it to where its pretty comfortable so no real compelling reason to make a change.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I am next year, so many great choices

1. BMW R1200RT
2. Kawasaki Concours 14
3. Triumph Thunderbird

One of these will be my next bike :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a 2006 Tiger 955i with 39,000 miles that I bought new. I'd consider trading it in for a 1050 Tiger or possibly a Yamaha FJR1300 but I'd want ABS brakes in either case.

·
Registered
435 Posts
depends on the riding you do!

The tiger I have is my "junker" - bought a "high mileage" (under 40K) tiger with bags. Been stored outside, so it's not the prettiest one out there. Clean it up maybe once a year.

So a replacement would have to have the same or similar luggage capability, upright seating position, same or better wind protection. Less maintenance would be a plus.

Older CB750 with luggage rack / bags would do (I don't go offroad at all around here). Some of the other bikes mentioned in the thread would work, but wouldn't get me away from the maintenance.

Might consider a honda ST1100, or even ST1300.

·
Registered
226 Posts
not sure

990 ktm adventure/r
1050 tiger
990 supermoto not the smt looks ok but the luggage is small
wish they did a ktm 690 adventure
but i do love my triple the 955i is a great bike and it does every thing i want of a bike at the moment also about to put a race can on the bike so will soun a lot nicer

·
Registered
5 Posts
trade

my 1050 tiger for - Jessica Alba??:D

oh, another bike - maybe a k13gt but probalby not as i've aleady seen too many on the road - and my orange is much better than theirs!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
If I was to trade today

1. Rocket III Tour
2. BMW R1200RT
3. Tiger 1050

No necessarily in that order..................

·
Registered
190 Posts
So nobody would buy a Multistrada?
I think i would if i thought i could afford to keep it running!

The Tiger is just fine at the moment, but i've always fancied the Sprint ST 1050...

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
So nobody would buy a Multistrada?
I think i would if i thought i could afford to keep it running!

The Tiger is just fine at the moment, but i've always fancied the Sprint ST 1050...
Each to their own, I think the multistrada is as ugly as the furniture in 2001AD :D

I had the Sprint 1050 first and much prefer the Tiger. If the Speed Triple (which I've also owned) had a more comfy seat, and the suspension was a tad better I think it the best of all the 1050's.

Rus

1 - 20 of 28 Posts