Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If one of the bikes you've always wanted somehow became available in an area that really didnt have many of that particular brand. That appeared in fantastic shape. What is the top dollar you would pay? Here is the bike This one wont go away for some reason. Believe me I have tried to make it go away but it wont.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
I hate to be a buzzkill...

$3.95, maybe $4.50. It would be too much of a pain to get rid of all that chrome.

Chrome has no place on a sportbike. None.

But that's not at all helpful; have you been watching, and keeping track of the asking price? Go a bit below that and see what happens!

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
It all depends on what it's worth to you and how badly the seller wants it to go. It sounds as if its been available for a while if you're still toying with the idea. Find the asking price, put in a slightly ridiculous offer, test the reaction and adjust accordingly. These days you may strike lucky.

----------------
Ride on !

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Been listed for a month.

Hide whats the matter with chrome?:D Either do stickers on a sport bike on the street or do they ? :p

Look at the shiny thing P-Rat . Shiny:eek: yes shiny very shiny

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Hide whats the matter with chrome?:D
Absolutely nothing, for cruisers. To me, it looks heavy. Heavy is wrong for sportbikes.

But hey, I'm just as capable of being distracted by something shiny as the next guy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If it was a bike that I REALLY wanted, and I had the money, I wouldn't worry about the "value" or book price, and would just negotiate the best deal. You'll live with the bike for a while, but will eventually forget what you paid.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
get the blue book value, and 2 others
take an adverage. subtract $1500 because your cheap. Subtract another $2000 because of the chrome.

about $3.95, maybe as high as $4.50. :)

·
Registered
10,248 Posts
Yes, factor in the cost of taking all that shiny junk off. Maybe he'll pay you to take it off his hands.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
$3.95, maybe $4.50. It would be too much of a pain to get rid of all that chrome.

Chrome has no place on a sportbike. None.

But that's not at all helpful; have you been watching, and keeping track of the asking price? Go a bit below that and see what happens!
I wonder if that is really chrome or the guy had everthing polished. I agree with the comment about no chrome on a sport bike. However, polishing is a different animal. That would be very Cafe Racer.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
True, polishing is less objectionable, but somehow it looks fantastic on classic bikes, and (again just my opinion) somewhat silly on sportbikes.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Course if you live in relative proximity to Las Vegas (That'd be the Nevada version, not the stodgy staid New Mexico iteration); polished frames, pipes, and wheels are considered by some to be a plus on their sport bikes. Not that I know anyone who has a Speed Triple with polished rims or TORS mind you. :D

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok Hide You purist you! We now know you don't like chrome on sportbikes and polishing is stretching the limits of acceptance. But for you if you found a used bike, a bike you wanted , what would you pay for it? How much above per said book value would you pay had the bike been what you wanted and the condition of said bike been better than you expected ? Put aside your purist values for a moment;)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh and one more thing. Don't we all try to have something a little bit different? Black and chrome always looks great together!!! And Not only is Triumph somewhat unique in most situations biking related but take it a step further and do something not everyone is going to do as well. I like the look and I like the fact that who the hell is going to chrome up a sport bike? Not many I dont think and hell I would even ride it !!!!!!1:D Lots too!!!!

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts

Hide,

Stop pushing the prude button over-and-over, catch a flight to the real Las Vegas, drop some coin into my retirement fund, and loosen up man! You know the saying "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas." :D

Besides, I think the bike looks awesome!

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Oh, all right, Cat, but just as a personal favor to you. Besides, I didn't have to get any work done tomorrow. Party at the Luxor! :p

Alright, Rat, if are going to insist on some actual, useful input... A quick eBay search for completed Daytona auctions shows 9 bikes :)eek:), only two of which met the reserve :)eek:!!). A '98 with 10k miles and an '02 with 15k miles. The '98 sold for $3350, and the '02 for $5500. Offer $4000 or $4500 (I'll leave the USD to CD conversions to you), and if you truly, truly, truly can't live without it, let him talk you up to $5000. Even if you can live with the chrome, act like you loathe the sight of it. Quote my opinions, if necessary and not afraid of sounding like an idiot. :p

There. Happy now?

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Hide,

Cool! See you at Quiznos in the food court before we take in the Titanic exhibition. My treat! (Seems the least I can offer given the tack this thread has taken.)

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Buy the bike, shop around on eBay and switch out all that stuff over time...

If it's a good price, snag it...;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts