Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I could really use some input here.I'm probably going to have to change the gas tank and get the bike painted.My concern is that everything else is going look pretty bad unless I get into a total restore.Has anybody done a 'refurbish' under these circumstances to keep the bike 'original'.If so,how do you go about doing it?
Thanks in advance.

Here's my 'unrestored' 1970 T120R

http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l247/Anandbhat/1970T120R/

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
what's the problem with the tank that requires replacement ? serious rust out or minor leaking ?

from your pics all i can make out is what looks like rust or something dripping down from your badges .

personally i'd rather see a bike refurbished , than a "museum quality" resto with powdercoated this and stainless that .

·
Super Moderator
12,504 Posts
Lots of 0000 steel wool and elbow grease will clean up all the chrone and stainless, then wax it.

Rust-O-Leum glossy black spray eamel for touch-ups on the frame after spot sanding off rust. Wax on everything after the paint sets completely.

Carefully cleaning the spokes with scotch-brite pads really does well. Typically, rusty spoke nipples are the bug-a-boo here.

Try auto rubbing compound on the tank paint, then wax.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tank started leaking soon after I got the bike a couple of years back.I lined the tank with kreme and repaired the rust pinholes with permatex and later,seal all.The liner is starting to peel and the patchwork along the rust pin holes gets a little moist once in a while (I reapply seal all )I would rather not risk riding it this way.Any kind of welding,Brazing or soldering would probably have to be followed by paintwork.
I just got a new gas tank (after market) that I had ordered last year.
I tried to focus the one picture on the area that I repaired.
Wouldn't a new paint job make the exhaust etc look bad?
I'm worried that a restore job will 'snowball' into a lot more than I really want to do.
Thanks for the response(s).

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Woody

'powdercoated this and stainless that' is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.I love riding this bike,and I'm afraid to have it all shiny to the point I'm afraid to ride it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The paint, or at least most of it, can be protected while welding by submerging the entire tank in water and leaving only the small area to be repaired above the water line.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts