Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the HP and torque numbers for Bonnie's and Thrux. What would I have to do to an 04 Bonnie to make it perform like a Thruxton? I've got the m bars, Thruxton rear shocks, AI removed and TOR exhast. Do I need Thruxton cams?

-Gene

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Easy!

Start with opening up the airbox, or even removing it all together, maybe fit an after-market exhaust and rejet to suit.

You will then have surpassed the stock Thrux figures by a fair amount.

Sorted!!

V.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
a 904 kit and bigger carbs. You'd stomp a thrux then, if you had good suspension pieces. The question I ask is why do you think a Thrux has so much more power?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good question...

a 904 kit and bigger carbs. You'd stomp a thrux then, if you had good suspension pieces. The question I ask is why do you think a Thrux has so much more power?
I've never ridden one, I was just looking at the specs. I guess I should put mine on a Dyno to see where I'm at.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Go Fast

I was looking at the HP and torque numbers for Bonnie's and Thrux. What would I have to do to an 04 Bonnie to make it perform like a Thruxton? I've got the m bars, Thruxton rear shocks, AI removed and TOR exhast. Do I need Thruxton cams?
You need the Go-Fast stripe down the center :D

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Trade in the bonnie - stop fiddling with the add-ons - and buy a Thruxton. I did what you have done so far, and then bought the Thrux - best move ever:D

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Trade in the bonnie - stop fiddling with the add-ons - and buy a Thruxton. I did what you have done so far, and then bought the Thrux - best move ever:D
By the time I got done trying to get the Bonnie to run like a 1000 and feel like a Thruxton, I was out a lot of $$$ and it still didn't run like a 1000. Either get the Thrux or be happy with the Bonnie doing what it does. It's a really cool bike. It'll never really be a 100 hp bike anyway. Just sort out your suspension and make it look the way you want it. There are plenty of great guys at this site that'll help you get nice gains without braking the bank or your cam chains.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Which will then present you with the next challenge...

How to turn your Thrux into a Scrambler.

M-Bars anyone? ;)

·
Registered
960 Posts

-Gene
Oh that's easy... do the air box carve and install either K&N or Uni pods, get a set of free breathing pipes... TORs are actually quite restrictive... I bought the EPCO peashooters and love them... a bit loud when "on cam" though... and get your igniter rev limit raised to 8500 rpms and get the ignition curve reworked... Pieman does this service through his Triumph Twin Power site: http://www.triumphtwinpower.com/ (worth every penny)

Do a proper rejet job and you can get the same 70 hp and 50 ft. lbs. of torque at the rear wheel (dyno verified) that I did with my '03 Bonnie... I like Thruxtons... especially as I pass them! =;-)

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
By the time I got done trying to get the Bonnie to run like a 1000 and feel like a Thruxton, I was out a lot of $$$ and it still didn't run like a 1000. Either get the Thrux or be happy with the Bonnie doing what it does. It's a really cool bike. It'll never really be a 100 hp bike anyway. Just sort out your suspension and make it look the way you want it. There are plenty of great guys at this site that'll help you get nice gains without braking the bank or your cam chains.
It can be a 100hp bike

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
A Thrux is not a race bike ether its just made to look fast .The motors are the same as far as hp goes the one and only thing a Thrux has better then a bonnie is it has better headers.Thrux does handle alittle better then a bonnie but you can make a bonnie handle just as good and still be easyer on your back.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the bonnie

I had the chance to demo a GT 1000 and it was really fun, but it wasn't my Bonneville. I don't want the Thruxton either. They're great bikes, but I prefer to caffinate my own bike. I was just wondering what it takes to get the 790cc Bonneville's specs closer to that of the 865cc Thruxton. I plan on doing the airbox mod, either with a kit or cutting the airbox, but the first thing that i've got to do is upgrade the brakes. I don't want to go any faster until its stops better.

I'll have to post a picture, but I really like the look of the TORs with the rear fender removed and the Thruxton length shocks in the back. There's a lot of air under the seat and the pipes continue the line low and back.

I just want to be able to pull a wicked wheelie when I'm out hooliganing it up and farting around.

I do like the idea of a 100hp Bonneville though.

P.S. I also love by bike because it's paid for!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I've never ridden one, I was just looking at the specs. I guess I should put mine on a Dyno to see where I'm at.
Oh, there we go again! Do the Airbox, pipes and carb's, THEN dyno it!
RWHP is a pissing contest at this point! Get a Speed Triple...
Don't waste your money on a dyno just so you have a fact and or figure... get the A/F right with your mod's above and then find your RWHP and torque...
Or drop $80-$100 on the Dyno now...
Your choice...
SOTP works for free unless your trying to be....

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I just want to be able to pull a wicked wheelie
You are really going to have to pay for that privilage.

The Thrux motor, as said above, isbasically the same as a T100. The real advantage they have in the twisties is clip-ons/rearsets and a smaller front wheel/-1* rake/ jacked up rear end.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Oh, there we go again! Do the Airbox, pipes and carb's, THEN dyno it!
RWHP is a pissing contest at this point! Get a Speed Triple...
Don't waste your money on a dyno just so you have a fact and or figure... get the A/F right with your mod's above and then find your RWHP and torque...
Or drop $80-$100 on the Dyno now...
Your choice...
SOTP works for free unless your trying to be....
Couldn't agree more. It was fun geting that bike to run great but it was expensive. It was sort of the "Worlds Fastest Indian" thing for me. Making a slow bike fast is a lot of fun. Making a slow bike fast that can handle is the trick. Have at it. Bonnies are a blast!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts