Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My goal is to ride through the winter here in PA and am looking to upgrade gloves and boots. What do you all winter riders recommend?

This is what I have:
A great Frank Thomas winter/rain Aqua Explorer jacket (It's been put to the test at 27F and stayed VERY warm, as well in HEAVY rain, stayed VERY dry).

A Pair of Triumph Explorer riding pants. They're so warm that I've never used the inner linings.

A pair of Joe Rocket summer riding boots. Little insulation and not waterproof.

And a pair of off brand winter gloves. They act like sponges in the rain and like a refrigerator in the cold. :wink:

For winter/rain gloves, has anyone considered These?

How about heated grips? I've seen Heeterz, as well as Triumph's heated grips. Any suggestions?

Finally, what kind of winter boot do ya'll recommended?

Thanks

·
Registered
497 Posts
I just got some Gerbings and what a difference.

The good:
Gerbings jacket liner
Gerbings glove liners
Firstgear Dakota winter gloves
Olympia Sports Airglide pants

The Bad:
Firstgear Kilimanjaro Air (it is good except the zippers, which are awful. otherwise it is dray and warm).

The in-between:
Alpinestars Roam boots. They are really comfy, but they leaked like a sieve! I had to put a lot of sealant on them...hopefully they'll hold now.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I where a Stich all year. In cold weather (below 40) I where long sleeve shirt and a heated jacket, gloves, and socks.

Gore Wind Stopper is a great product. I have socks, pull over, balaclava. I have learned that if it doesn't say Gore-Tex or Sympatex it ain't water proof.

Heated grips are very useful, but when its really cold I like to have the top of my hand heated as well.

I have a lot of rain riding time. My ride at the end of last month was 400 of 1000 miles in the rain. I have tried many "waterproof" products. None work better than Gore-Tex. I will caution you to NOT buy gloves with huge gauntlets for wet riding. If you cannot fit the gauntlet under your jacket the water will run down your sleeve and into you glove.

I gave in to electrics a few years ago. Layering is good but bulky. Add to that my riding suit was ordered without considering the addition of the back and hip pads. Lectrics are easier for me and I can control the amount heat.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Heated grips: I have the Triumph brand on the Sprint. They work and are easy to install, but are pricey. I just installed the Dual Star heaters on the FZ6. They work great, are cheap ( less than $50) but not as easy to install. I spent about 2.5 hours on them I think I only spen an hour on the triumph.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I really prefer heated -waterproof gloves, like Widder, over heated grips. Given the road crews here are poor at winter maintenance, if there's any precipitation, black ice is more of a threat than the temperature. Also, lined bibs are nice to make sure your back stays thawed.

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
When in snowy NZ I wear:

Tecnik courdura waterproof touring pants with zip out thermal liner
Tecnik Thunder waterproof thermal lined gloves
Arlenn Ness "All Weather" long Cordura waterproof jacket with Thermal liner

All very toastie and dry.

Davem

:cool:

·
Registered
896 Posts
I don;t ride on snow/ice and tend not to ride if there is any sand down on the road from morning icing.... I ride if the roads allow.... I have a Widder electric vest/armchaps and gloves... I have an on/off switch but could elect for a thermostat control.

There is a huge difference between a 10 mile commute in rough conditions and a 50+ miles ride in the same. There is a definite cumulative effect when riding in cold weather... what is "toasty" on a short ride could be freezing after 50.

Electrics are the way to go.

Wet is always not fun. I use what ever glove I am using and put on the Aerostich rain glove. It is a three digit affair and packs extremely small. They are easy to put on and are totally wind/waterproof. I have a Roadcrafter suit I bought used on ebay and it is too small ( read I am too chubby) to bundle up underneath.

When I know there is no rain in the forecast I use a bib-overall attachment to the pants of the Stich and layer my top with a long-sleeve shirt, the widder vest and arm chaps, a windbreaker or thin sweater and then my leather jacket with liner.

In the cold i also use a neck cozy rig that came from Triumph. It is designed to velcro inside a Triumph Jacket. The dickie ( for lack on a better name) is thick chamois and sport a tall collar that velcros around the neck.

I also use a balaclava to prevent my helmet from getting too much body oils as well as helping to seal up the drafts around the helmet to jacket gap.

Removing drafts is crucial in staying warm on a long ride. Even a small gap at the wrist gets amplified after enough time. Being able to seal up the gaps around your ankles, waist and wrists is hugely important. Even stopping airflow from pocket zippers etc can make a big difference.

I love the stories about folks using newspaper to create a layers to preserve body heat.

If your hands/feet are cold, what it really means is that your core/brain are cold and the body is saying... we can live without feet and hands, so they don;t get as much blood to keep them warm... this is a sign that you need to stop riding and get warm! having a vest means keeping your core warm and thereby allowing blood flow to the extremities, which in the case of the hands are really key to riding and reacting safely... if the hands are cold and numb they won't get to the brake as fast....

·
Registered
156 Posts
Anything from Triumph`s line that is waterproof should be good. My personal preference for boots is Sidi. Watch for water resistant or waterproof.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'll certainly second all those who go electric - been using a Widder vest for a few years. When it's sub-freezing and you have miles to go, heat generation beats heat retention, IMO. Just added a set of Oxford wrap around heated grips a couple of weeks ago, so haven't had a chance to really judge, but seems good so far. Probably electric gloves would be more effective...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Winter- whats winter? Do you guys have to wear something special for some parts of the year.
Think ill go our and sunbath.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Fieldsheer Moncur jacket
Oxtar Matrix boots
Gerbings heated jacket liner
Widder Lectric gloves (wired for the Gerbings)
Warm Wraps wrap-around heated grips

I need new pants and gloves. I'm looking at a pair of Moto GP Alpine waterproof sport textile pants or the Moto GP waterproof textile overpants. Both come with a removable thermal liner. As for gloves. Olympia Ultima 1 or the Joe Rocket Nitrogen.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TXRyder,

What is a texan doing commenting on winter wear? :-D

I'm originally from Central CA and never worried about serious winter wear. Now that I'm an East Coasterner, I've discovered a new meaning for cold weather riders.

Although I've resisted going wired heaters, it seems to be the most logical choice.
After completing a 1200 mile trip last week in 35-40F weather (1/3 of which was pouring rain), I discovered that warmer fingers and toes are a must.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Here's my cold weather kit, from the feet on up:

Cotton mid-weight sock
Wigwam "N-genius" thermal sock
Chippewa motorcycle boots
DuoFold thermal underwear
Cabela's (mine are HD branded) nylon pant liner (Thinsulate lined)
Jeans
DuoFold thermal undershirt
Long sleeve t-shirt
Gerbing heated jacket liner
Very heavy leather jacket
Gerbing heated gloves
Fleece neck "gaiter"
Full face helmet

I use a Warm'n'Safe single controller for the electrics. I'm good to about 30 or so, if colder I'll a balaclava to protect my face. Adding an inexpensive rain suit over all can really make a difference when the temps are ridiculously cold or the air very damp.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm embarrassed to admit that, for any journey over 10 or so miles and after 20 years of all weather riding, cold weather gear for me now constitutes a nice warm car. Less than 10 miles and I just wear my summer gear on the premise that 10 miles isn't long enough to get cold. In my defence, I consider cold to be sub 5 degrees C (about 40 degrees F).

In my youth, I can remember one particular journey from Manchester to London, half way through the night, freezing fog, jeans and a leather, naked bike (Kwak Z400) and it was impossible to put the visor down as it had half an inch of ice on it. I promise you that I am not exaggerating when I say it took me just over half an hour to even get off the bike at the other end. :-D

·
Registered
929 Posts
check out the new fieldsheer gear.

adventure stuff. highest abrasion resistant 1000 denier Teflon

I just got it and its fantastic so far only one ride.
it was about 4 degrees Celsius and I was nice and warm.
I will do a long term review once the snow thaws out...

unfortunately we just got a foot and a half over the weekend and and are expecting another 6" today. :(

I'm still looking for gloves but have it narrowed down.
I will order the Roadgear boss I tried but they are on back order.

bwt

·
Registered
50 Posts
Frank Thomas Sprint textile waterproof jacket- excellent
Frank Thomas Strike 2 textile waterproof pants- excellent
Triumph Sympatex Explorer II boots- excellent
Cortech Accelerator gloves- great gloves but not cold weather gloves

Need:

better gloves
head/neck sock

·
Registered
564 Posts
as with GavinB,
"what's winter"?

I have a pair of wool undergloves and a scarf and an extra pair of socks under my Rossi boots.

Draggin' jeans with long running tights underneath

And I put the liner back into my Triumph Horizon leather jacket to give my T-shirt a little assistance

All this only if it's a longish ride or going into the late evening

That's pretty much my Aussie "winter" covered :cool:

[ This message was edited by: stevecro on 2006-11-29 17:52 ]

·
Registered
32 Posts
In SE North Carolina we are going into our coldest two months of the year. Average high temperature is 52 degrees F. Average low is 32 degrees F. I use draggin jeans with long johns, Triumphs vented leather jacket (with zippered vents closed) gerbings heated jacket and gloves. Warm socks with Rev-it boots. I'll take wimpy but warm over tough but cold any time. I'm too old to worry about proving anything...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Aerostich with a fleece neck gaiter and a thin fleece pullover. Winter riding gloves (last pair was Olympia, I think), although non-perforated leather gloves seem to do me right.

Coldest I've ridden in was 16*F. Used to ride year-round in Virginia, where winters stay in the 30s and 40s with breakouts lower.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts