Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi chaps, I have put 2300 odd miles on my 05, she has Anakees on her at the mo, I am off to Scotland a week on Saturday for weeks bike tour we will cover another 3000 miles, will I need another rear, or should it last the trip.

I know its hard to say but i felt I could ask you your experiences.

Cheers.

Mutley

·
Registered
387 Posts
A bit confused here. How did you manage to get yours fitted with Anakees? Are all the 05s fitted with them?

Anyway to answer your question. On my 2000 Tiger I ran T66s till they stopped making them & then swapped to Anakees. I was on my first set when I traded up to the 04. I had a bout 3000 miles on them & they were lasting really well, better than the T66s in fact (better profile) & I used to get about 7000 out of a rear on them. So I think that they will survive your jaunt.

Interesting point here I have Tourances on my new Tiger, how do the rest of you guys running them rate them. As I said above I have run both the Mitchellins (T66 & Anakee) I thought the T66 was OK in the dry but a bit twitchy in the wet, I found that the Anakee was pretty good all round, wet grip in particular was miles better than the T66s. So here is the question, anyone run a set of Anakees & a set of Tourances till they have worn out? Which of the two did you prefer? I have just about got the new bike (Running Tourances) run in & I am still not convinced that the Tourance is as good as The Anakee.

Your Thoughts?

D

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Mutley,

The general consensus is that you will not get as many miles from your Annakee's as you would from Tourance's.

Michelins are generally a softer compund tyre, the T66X's were only good for about 4-5,000 miles tops. Guys i know that have Annakees on report very similar mileage rates as well.

I managed 8,000 miles on my last rear Tourance and it was still legal when i changed it.

I like Michelin tyres and have always used them in the past. But i have to say that the Tourance has won me over both on wear and performance overall. For every two sets of Tourance's i would have used three sets of Annakees. ??

Just my thoughts

·
Registered
658 Posts
The tourances I have had on the bike from new are as follows Rear : changed at 9000 miles. Front : I am about to change it at 16000 miles. Mind you, the performance of it went sour at 13000. I am just about to change the wheels to tubeless so am glad to be shot of tourances. I have no confidence in them. As can be deduced, I aint hard on tyres. :cool:

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Nehpets,
I'm curious....
If you had no confidence in them, why have you waited so long to change them ?? Have you had any major moments with them in their life?

Even 9,000 is incredible mileage for a rear tyre, given the torque that is being applied to them. Agreed that changing to tubeless rims will give you access to some more sticky rubber, but i'll bet that you won't get anywhere near the mileage from a Bridgestone or other road tyre.

I have ridden my Tigers to the limits of handling and performance both on the track and on the road,and apart from a few twitchy moments in the rain, i have never had a major moment using the Tourances.

I'm not having a pop, i am just curious to know your reasons behind your eagerness to get shot of them ??

Has anybody else had problems with the Tourance's ??

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
5500 miles from my rear tire and nothing left of it.
In fact I've just had a new Tourance fitted today.

Major dissaster refitting the rear wheel, the axle spindle bolt exploded while trying to torque it up 85nm, app 65ft/lb. Tomorrow tango was/is booked in for its 6k service and unless I can find another bolt pdq he aint going nowhere. ahh the joys. :mad:

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
i think the tourances are pretty good tyres overall. They grip well enough to scrape the hero blobs and appear fine wet and dry. My only complaint is when its very cold they take a loooooong time to get any heat into them, even with the pressure reduced a bit.

If bridgestone ever reply to my questions re using tubes with Bt20's I would be very tempted to fit them soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts