Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been running Motul semi-synthetic in mine because that is what the dealer recommends, however, I have always used a full synthetic in my other motorcycles "just in case". I have had no problems so far with semi in the Tiger, and I am curious to know what you use in your Tiger?

Just answer using one of the following:

Regular petrolium based oils
Semi-synthetic blend
Highly refined "synthetic" petrolium based oils
Full synthetic (ester and/or PAO based)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Semi-synthetic blend

Castrol 10/40 semi.Done 5,000 miles and only once needed to top it up.I also ran my TBS and my Legend on the same oil without any problems.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Yay! Another Oil thread.....

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10w40w full synthetic as recommended by Triumph.

I've also used Silkolene full synth, and from my previous experience of burning semi synth in the Speed Triple I won't use it.

This is another thing I find curious. We spend $15,000 AUD on a motorcycle, but try to save as little as $20 on an oil change and use inferior quality oil.

The manufacturers recommend specific oil for a reason, the brand doesn't matter, but the SAE does, so in my opinion should be followed.

Disclaimer - I have 40,000km on the Tiger and did 110,000km on the Speed Triple, the only time either have burned oil, and been hard to shift/find neutral etc is with Motul Semi synth or similar.

Mick :cool:

·
Registered
166 Posts
full synthetic (same oil for everything though... diesels, cars, motorcycles). Rotella-T syn.

easier to buy the same thing for everything.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I also use Castrol Power1 4T 10/40 Fully Synthetic oil. I spoke to the guy at Triumph Carlisle and he said they only ever use semi-synthetic in the workshop, but at £4.00 extra for fully synthetic it does not add much to a service cost ( I do my own) and it makes me feel better that I am giving my Tiger the luxury treatment. :)

Andy.

·
Registered
186 Posts
For me it's

Silkolene Comp 4 Fully Synthetic, 10 - 40.

Meets all the laid down standards and has made the gearbox smoother.

That's my 4d worth :p

·
Registered
83 Posts
A dealer (not Triumph) told me that Motul semi synth 10W 50 would be OK as he didn't have 10W 40. I can't get 10W 40 before mytrip. Is it OK to use this as I need to change the oil before I get away.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
A dealer (not Triumph) told me that Motul semi synth 10W 50 would be OK as he didn't have 10W 40. I can't get 10W 40 before mytrip. Is it OK to use this as I need to change the oil before I get away.
No idea where you are so, if your going for a ride across Death Valley you should be ok with 10w 50 as its a thick oil and the heat will thin it down : )

KK

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Something you must remember with oil. Your dealer will tell you to put in what ever he has in stock and makes the most profit on.

That's why some of them say "sure, put in semi synth, it's what we use and recommend". What they neglect to tell you is, it's what they make the most profit on.

If you must change for semi-synth, it will be fine for a trip, but be certain to keep an eye on it. Be certain too that you "may" notice the shifting get rougher or it may burn a bit more than usual, but then again for you it may be fine.

No sense in pinching pennies on oil in my opinion, but if you can get good oil cheap, even better.....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I live near Sydney and, once it stops raining, the weather should hot up a bit. So, I'll probably use the 10W 50 and then change to full synth 10W 40 when I get back. Cheers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I use Rock Oil Guardian semi synthetic. 10/40 goes in between Autumn and Spring, then I use the same company's 15/50 semi synthetic for summer as the bike will be used in warmer climes abroad. This oil meets all of Triumphs required specs, and coz I've got a trade account it costs me less than £2 per litre. ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Shell Rotella -T full Synthetic. Cheaper than most other Synthetics and easy to get. The arguement will never end which is better. Pick one and stay with it. My thought is that all oil's , (Dyno and Synthetic ) are all good.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Shell Rotella -T full Synthetic. Cheaper than most other Synthetics and easy to get. The arguement will never end which is better. Pick one and stay with it. My thought is that all oil's , (Dyno and Synthetic ) are all good.
Not trying to be contrary here, but if all oils, (Dino or Synthetic) are all good, how does one explain the difference in shifting with some oils compared to others. How does one explain that over 5,000km on Motul Semi-Synth my Tiger burns 500ml of oil, yet with Mobil 4T doesn't burn any?

Just sayin' Oils ain't oils Sol....:D, but you do have to find the one YOU are comfortable with using, and paying for.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not trying to be contrary here, but if all oils, (Dino or Synthetic) are all good, how does one explain the difference in shifting with some oils compared to others. How does one explain that over 5,000km on Motul Semi-Synth my Tiger burns 500ml of oil, yet with Mobil 4T doesn't burn any?

Just sayin' Oils ain't oils Sol....:D, but you do have to find the one YOU are comfortable with using, and paying for.

Like I said ,The arguement will never end !!!!!!!:D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts