Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Top of the morning,

I just took possession of a wonderful 1970 T120R. It is an unmolested and original Bonnie, but lacking the tool kit. I'd love to know what tools, exactly came with the original kit, and which tools will need to hunt down specifically to work on this bike?

Many thanks for the help!

Bill

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The green box wrench shown is a special to adjust the valves on my bike and is worth it's weight in gold as it is shaped to fit a narrow space.

Not sure if it came with the bike or what.

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
Top of the morning,

I just took possession of a wonderful 1970 T120R. It is an unmolested and original Bonnie, but lacking the tool kit. I'd love to know what tools, exactly came with the original kit, and which tools will need to hunt down specifically to work on this bike?

Many thanks for the help!

Bill
I dont think you will do much work on a T120 with the Triumph toolkit.If you are going to work on it,get a decent Whitworth/AF/Metric socket set plus loads of open end and ring spanners.Clutch locking tool,Pinion extractor,Puller for the stator,Etc.Its taken me 40 years to get everything i need to do all the jobs on a T120.Some i have to make.However,stick around this site and the knowledge is here

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Plus the original tools are mad expensive. I was watching on Ebay a complete Triumph toolkit in original wrap, I think for a '68, and it went for over $400. I got the Whitworth spanners from Lowbrow, they really help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is very helpful. I've got a start on the Whitworth stuff as I do all the work on my 1960 Triumph TR3A four-wheeler.

I might rephrase the question: what tools do you find it wise to have onboard when out for a ride? I've always viewed the onboard tool kit as more of an emergency roadside set rather than a maintenance set.

Have I said yet how much I love the sound this beast makes?

Many thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
Look after it well and you wont need to take tools with you.Every breakdown i have ever had,and that is 3 in total in the last 33 years of T120,could not be fixed with tools at the roadside.Puncture,Gearbox nut came off jamming the clutch mechanism,broken clutch cable.So i carry no tools,just have breakdown cover which takes me home

·
Premium Member
9,887 Posts
I tend to agree. whatever you take, it won;t be the one tool that you need.

I don't bother with stuff like spare tubes and tyre levers. I have a phone and breakdown cover (included with my insurance)

Cables may break. So carry spares. There's room in the headlight bucket for throttle cables. Ditto bulbs. Thread in a clutch cable alongside the current one and bung tape/condom over the ends.

I have a couple of adjustables, screwdrivers, plug spanner and small hammer. Cable ties, wire with croc clips can be used to trace faults or tie up something.

Best thing is to eye up the bike before you set off

1 - 9 of 9 Posts