Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a first bike and stumbled across triumph... saw the classics and fell in love... im 21 years old and about 6 foot...i want a nice bike thats easy to ride and the t100 seemed perfect... then i saw a scrambler in person..... i want to be able to ride around my local area, but also have the ability to do some highway riding (100 miles) at about 70 mph.. would i be more comfortable on the t100... im just trying to picture the knobby tires and high straight up position on the scrambler at speed.. i was thinking about the dart windscreen.. how effective are those? and also what is the best choice for exhaust that is loud when your really on it and grumbly at idle? i heard the tor's on the scrambler and fell in love it sounded great... thanks for all the help i appreciate it....Greg

·
Registered
835 Posts
Sounds like me.....I bought my Bonneville at age 24 and I'm 26 now. I've put on over 15,000 miles in a year and a half mostly through the beautiful Rocky Mountains of Colorado. Most were highway miles as well, just like what you plan to do. The knobby tires would be rough for that. I have the Bonneville Black with D&D pipes that have just the sound you need......if you get anything quieter, you'll just want these pipes later. D&D's are real loud and menacing. I have talked two other friends into buying the T100. An excellent choice.

I now live on the coast and ride the Pacific Coast Highway all the time......the Bonneville is by far the best all around (city/highway) bike there is. Keep us posted...

PCH

Carrying Capacity

Your Truly.....plus a good look at some accessories in action, like the Lucas Style taillight, Classic Badge, and the Superbars....

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
More highway...go with the T100 or standard Bonnie. If you live where there are a number of dirt roads, or if you have a long gravel driveway...get the scrambler. If you ride in the city, both will do, but the Scrambler does have a bit more ride height. It may help in seeing ahead of traffic.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
The Scrambler should do fine on the freeway;those aren't REAL knobbys,more like dirt road/asphalt combination tires.If you like the styling then go for it.Thunderbike NZ make replacement pipes that you gotta hear,very impressive on thier website.
At 6' the slightly higher ride should not be a problem.The Triumphs do make a great first bike,you won't be sorry.
I do alot of highway riding too and I got some lower handlebars to get out of the wind some.That's just the way it is with naked bikes,a trade off .Can't speak for the Dart screen;people here have them and love them,I would rather do without.

·
Registered
347 Posts
G'day,

The T100 will do all that you want, plus lots more, without a problem. I highly reccommend the Dart Flyscreen. Apart from looking cool it gets rid of buffeting. I'm sorry, there is one problem. Going 70m.p.h. on open freeways. It is so hard to slow down to 70. :cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Scrambler TORs do sound distinctive. I just finished drilling my stockers and they finally have a growl. The riding position is slightly forward but not much. I do feel like I have a good view of everything, because of the ride position and the fact that it physically rides higher than the Bonnie.
I think beyond that its what style you like more.

Dave

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
are their any tires for the scrambler that are more on road capable?.. i really liek the scrambler but im afraid the road noise and comfort level will suck on long asphalt rides

·
Registered
835 Posts
You always have different tire options in the future...

These fit the Scrambler and are less exausting on asphalt....they are called Metzeler Tourance and are available the cheapest from
American MotoTire
Category "Dual Sport"

I buy all my tires from them and they are not only the cheapest around (even after shpping cost) but they also have good customer service.

[ This message was edited by: Thunder_Forever on 2006-04-16 17:56 ]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tires like those tourances can be mounted on the stock rim correct?.........im just really torn, i like the look of the scrambler but the t100 does seem more logical for on road use....i just wanna be happy with what I get :???:

·
Registered
835 Posts
You should go ahead and buy the T100 and, trust me, you will be very happy. The Scrambler is sort of a hipe to the guys that already have the triumphs...you are close to the same age as me and I'll tell you now, the T100 is the perfect bike to get.

P.s.- I took my bonnie on a lot of dirt roads during camping trips and it handles real well....keep your feet out and you won't eat the dirt.....even with the stock tires......

·
Registered
679 Posts
I love my Scrambler and it is fine on the highway, I don't notice that the tires are any issue at all. They will wear out qucikly and then I will switch to the Tourances which I have on the Tiger and I have had no problems in 30,000 miles. The little wind screen is a must and makes the highway no problem.

I am sure a more 'standard' Bonneville will also perform flwalessly. You can't make a mistake.

Fred

·
Registered
147 Posts
Get the T100.
The scrambler is a joke if you ask me.

Not great for highway riding, it looks neat but that's it I think.

I heard there is talk about to discontinue the scrambler already.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i realllly apprciate all of the help guys...but now im confussssed.....im starting to think the t100 with some nice pipes.....i also looked into the buell xb9s lightning.. any thoughs on that bike?

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Look into insurance before you get the Buell. T100 insurance is very cheap, the buell is a sportbike and will cost accordingly.

You can ride the T100 all day, I've done several 500 mile days, and it's still comfortable (bearable). The Buell will kill your wrists and back.

You won't get the attention on the Buell that you'll get on the T100, except maybe from the highway patrol.

I love my T100, great for city blasts from light to light, great for all day highway riding.

Get a T100 and put some predators on it.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I've never owned a Buell, but I believe that they are not as reliable as the Bonnevilles. Admittedly, the Buell is a great deal more powerful. I guess it's just that I like the output of the Triumphs just fine. Pushing a Sporty motor to the higher horsepower levels is just bound to cause a few compromises...ones that I don't care to live with.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a couple of friends with the Buell. Thy both thought the bike was fun for short trip but long rides were a bit taxing on the groin area. I can't believe that's a good thing. One just sold the Buell and got a Tiger and is very happy with the exchange.

I love my T100, which is my first bike, handles really well and the pick up seems pretty good for my taste. The only issue I have with the bike is that it too much fun to ride and I feel guilty when I don't take it out. Also, my carpool buddies can't all fit on the back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts