Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My previous bike had tubeless tires, so if I got a flat while out riding, I could plug & inflate w/ the co2 cartridges. With the TB's tubed tires, are there any temporary fixes - e.g. - Flat Fix- type products that can be used if one gets a flat while riding? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
411 Posts
There is usually two scenerios. The first is, you are in the Uk, if so forget temporary fixes or get you homes fixes. Why?, because with a tube , it has to come out and be replaced, end of story l,m afraid. So you can try just pumping it up and see how long it takes to go down. If its a slow puncture and you are not too far from home , say a mile or two, then pump it up to 30 pd/in and ride slowly home. Do not be tempted to rush home before it flattens cos it might just tear and lose the air in a second and you will be in big trouble. If it goes down fast forget repairs and call the AA,RAC ect. If you use the commercial liquid tyre sealer, your fitters at the tyre store can charge you to clean the stuff out. secondly they only work in tubeless tyres where the rim is sealed. If you do manage to get the tyre inflated with the stuff , it increases the chance of the tyre peeling off the rim as it deflates, not a good idea. Oh and if you do try to ride home do not remove the nail before you pump it up. and good luck!.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
How did ya know it was a nail?
Criminnee, I'm impressed!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sorry , l just noticed you are in the states, the advice stands but just use the cell phone to call AAA or local tire depot to come and get you. You could carry the tubes in case they don't stock many bike tires. My Nokia 95 has a GPS that locates the nearest garage or tire depot , l guess you have the same service too, as you are usually in front of us!!.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
If its a slow puncture and you are not too far from home , say a mile or two, then pump it up to 30 pd/in and ride slowly home. Do not be tempted to rush home before it flattens cos it might just tear and lose the air in a second and you will be in big trouble.
Tried that once in my youth (in the UK) with a front tire - never again - the thing went 1/2 flat and I lost all steering. Came up on a roundabout, went to turn left and the bike went straight on - narrowly missed other traffic and ended up on the middle grassed section of the roundabout. Scary stuff!:eek:

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Seems to me that the $8.00 for roadside assistance coverage would be the easiest.

I've seen a product called "Tire Slime" that has a version for tube tires that is supposed to temporarily patch the tube so if can be re-inflated.

·
Registered
671 Posts
yep theres not much you can do with a tubed tyre.... I've had one front and one rear on the TBS and just called recovery both times.. need to be careful parking/pushing it around with a flat as it tends to sit upright - was a bit disconcerting on the side of the motorway!

fortunately the front picked up this roofing screw at lowish speed as it went down almost instantly.. ! ended up buying a new tyre as well as tube as it made a bit of a mess of it..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts