Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I bought a second hand Bonnie from an old dude who was down sizing his collection of bikes. its a 2008 model and hardly ever ridden, about 8000 kilometers.

as far as I can tell its never had an oil change and still has the same tires as when new

took it for a long ride the other day, bike goes real well, probably the first long ride its ever had, so gave it a blast

besides changing oil what else should I be doing, trying to get an idea about these bikes. lucky I know someone who has one and does some serious mileage on his, but dont want to run to him all the time for help, trying to learn myself

plus I dont have an owners manual, where do you get one of those?

·
Registered
214 Posts
first

check the tyres havent gone off and the brakes are Ok , which I guess you have done since you've ridden it ...so ride it some more and enjoy:grin2:

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Change the oil and tires, then ride the wheels off it. These bikes are solid and reliable, have fun with your new toy.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the tyres on it are rubbish, dont feel too confident with them so will be looking at doing this first, but today am taking it for a ride down the coast. look ay getting new shoes next week

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
Change the fork oil, flush the brake fluids, lube the clutch and speedometer cables. Check the brake pads, the rear might be mostly gone by now.

I'd loosen and retorque critical bolts too.

·
Registered
353 Posts
fresh tires & fluids. Once that's done, change the shocks (anything is better). It's a much better bike than the stock suspension bits would lead you to believe.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanx for the head up and the link. downloaded an owners manula and somewhere written inside it said its kept under the seat. so guess what I found. lol

do you think its really necessary to change the fork oil? only done 8000 Kilometers (now 9000 since I bought it).
does fork oil some how go off?

looks like a pita to change

·
Registered
353 Posts
if you we going to change the springs I would, it can also allow you vary the viscosity and thus the feel but its not like the fork oil has likely gone bad, particularly at that milage.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Get the mileage on the clock up to about 10000k. You'll know what to do first. Your butt will suggest a few things.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts