Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up an 06 Sprint 1050 and was wondering what I need to keep on hand while riding. I know when I had the 02 Sprint ST the clutch cables were known for failure and i actually experienced one failure. What can anyone tell me about things to watch for on an 06?

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
JCM,

it is essentially the same bike, wouldn't carry anything different.

However years of motorcycling sometimes in uninhabited areas I carry the following;

1) Punture repair kit with C02 bottles (under seat)

2) 1 x roll duct tape

3) about 10 200mm or 8" long zipties (you can join them together too)

4) Std bike tool kit

5) A Swiss army style pocket knife and a leatherman tool.

I also carry a plastic side stand pad for soft ground.

Over the years these few things dealt with most on the road problems.:)

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Nice one, Dave. Don't know why I never thought of adding duct tape to my tool kit, but I will now!

I don't know if you have them down there, but I carry a Slime brand 12v air pump instead of CO2 cartridges. It'll pump a lot more air & takes just a little more space.

Oh, and the other big difference is that my soft-ground sidestand pad is metal. :D

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
All of the above plus a small vice grip. Works in a pinch if you break a lever (shift or clutch etc). Also a small 4oz. spray bottle of window cleaner and a rag for cleaning bugs of the visor. I have a couple of yards of duct tape wrapped around the bottle. The rag is a face cloth donated by the occasional motel which I recycle for a fresh one at my next motel stop.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Pretty much the same as DaveM (don't have a Leatherman yet) and I'm going to add a clutch and throttle wire and a small flashlight, found a nice small LED flashlight with a dyno, a few cranks and you are set to go, no need to worry about batteries.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
On a long trip last year, I think I carried the monster socket for the rear wheel, just in case. I thought I'd read from at least one poster who had a flat that the nearby shop couldn't get the wheel off.

·
Registered
177 Posts
A high vis vest is really useful if you break down. Means the repair man can see you more easily....oh! and it may even save your life !!

·
Registered
110 Posts
What to carry

I carry most of Dave's items all the time. On longer trips, I add:

Safety wire - about 10 ft
binoculars - a small, collaspable set
Multhead screwdriver
needlenose pliers
wet washcloth in a ziplock ) for keeping the faceshield
dry small towel ) and screen clean

as well as the cell phone, etc.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I thought JCM's question related to everyday riding. If that's the case and you're not using the panniers, where are you guys stashing all this kit? There's very few spare cc's of open space in which to stuff things on the Sprint.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Since there's a lot of room under the seat of a 955 Sprint, I carry the following there:

• Tire Plug Kit
  • Compact 12v Air Pump
  • Shorty Bicycle Air Pump (electric pump might fail, bike battery might be weak, etc)
  • .9 oz First Aid Kit
  • Powerlet to Cig. Lighter adaptor cord
  • Triumph Tool kit + small vice grips + folding torx wrenches +small bag of mechanics latex gloves (that I never bother wearing)
  • Camper's LED headband light
  • "Grunge Buster" chain cleaning brush, cotton rag, and small can of chain wax in a ziplock bag
  • An old nylon zipper bag (shaving kit) with spare fuses, electrical tape, duct tape, 2' 14 gauge wire, bag of assorted zip ties, small can of WD-40, Permatex clear silicone adhesive, super glue, spare turn signal and tail light bulb, JB-Weld, and a bungee net wrapped around the outside of the bag.
It's packed tight under there, but things like the LED light and chain cleaning stuff are on top, first aid kit and zipper bag o' stuff is next, tool kit is strapped into the niche under the seat, and the tire repair stuff is packed deepest.

Since I never ride without the tank bag, the following is in there:

• Thin windstopper half-balaclava (neck, ears and nose coverage)
  • Clear lens sunglasses
  • Eye Drops/Liquid Tears
  • 20x 400mg Ibuprofin
  • Spare earplugs
  • Chapstick
  • Bicylist Toque/Beanie
  • "Cooling" bandana
  • Battered old baseball cap
  • Spare set of non-mesh "summer" gloves
  • Spare pair of over-the-calf socks in a ziplock bag
  • Bic Lighter
  • Microfiber camp towel
  • Smaller microfiber cloth for visor cleaning
  • 4oz spray bottle with soapy water
  • Flattened 1 litre hydration bag (filled on longer rides)
  • Another camper's LED headlamp
  • Chewing gum and a couple of "energy bars"
  • Pen, notepad, compact road atlas for my region.
  • Cig. lighter cellphone charger and another Powerlet adaptor.
  • Cellphone, AA batteries, AA battery digital camera
And finally, since I almost never take the Triumph top box off now, I keep my 2pc rain suit in there, a spare clutch and throttle cable taped around the inside (takes no space), and can throw the tank bag in there too if I don't want to carry it with me.

On a trip, my panniers and the rest of the top-box space are for clothing and supplies, and if it's a camping trip, I use a Wolfman Beta tail-duffel to carry my sleeping bag, tent, cooking gear, etc.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I thought JCM's question related to everyday riding. If that's the case and you're not using the panniers, where are you guys stashing all this kit? There's very few spare cc's of open space in which to stuff things on the Sprint.
I'm getting older and may need new reading glasses, but I believe JCMathis did not state local or long distance. :rolleyes:

Either way, I ride local at about 50 miles every business day with no panniers. ;)

Here is what I carry.

In the Triumph rear tail pack.

Plastic plate for the side-stand.
Notebook with pen.
Small flashlight.
Three weights of gloves. One of which I will wear.
Jumper cables.
Tire gage.
Cable lock.
Stop N Go tire repair kit with Co2 cartridges.
Bike cover.
Windscreen cleaner and towel.
5 Dominican 42 ring Coronas in a zip lock bag.

In the map pocket in the fairing.

Original tool kit with many supplements.
Fuses.
First aid kit.

I wear a Gore Tex suit, so no rain gear needed. I carry my cell phone, pistol and bike papers in the jacket.

Happy trails! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts