Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, you may remember me from other frequently repeated threads such as "What's this wiring harness plug connected to nothing sticking out the left side of my frame", "Why won't my bike start", and "Why is my gas tank a vacuum". Well, I'm back with another one.

Key information-

*I've put about 6000 miles on the bike now with stock tires, which are actually the stock tires from another speed 4. The tires themselves probably have about 10k miles on them. They need to be replaced.
*I live in MA
*This is my first bike, so the latest greatest super sticky tires are probably not going to benefit me at all.
*Bike is my only transportation, so I ride in the rain when it's raining, in the hot when it's 100 degrees, and in the cold when it's 30 degrees. I guess when it's snowing, I'll be walking.
*Triple digit speeds and wheelies occur on a daily basis
*My financial situation dictates that there will be no track time in the near future
*I usually don't push my riding abilities in corners on the street. There seem to be a lot of trees and guardrails that would ***** me up good if I hit them. But, when I do find myself in appropriate corners, I do push my abilities.
*I'm poor, so if the cheapest tire available has a cost of 1, the most expensive tire I will consider will have cost of 1.35.

I guess I'm looking for a tire that has good traction in cold and wet weather, and offers the best dry traction for the price range I'm considering. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
907 Posts
correct me if im wrong....

first bike, cold weather, fast speeds, wheelies and cheap tires dont seem to go together....:p

Try Pilot Roads or ContiRoad Attack

·
Registered
394 Posts
I agree with FuryFour completely.

Conti Road Attacks (on my bike right now)

Michelin Pilot Road

and at the expensive end Pirelli Diablo Strada

You can get good package deals at Tire Express (Compacc)

Package Deal

·
Registered
235 Posts
Pilot Roads are slippery as hell on wet, but on the plus side they last basically forever. I'd get Pilot Powers or Pirelli Diablos (not Corsas), they both have good traction even on wet

G

·
Pirelli Diablo Stradas were very good - easily as sticky (on the roads) as Bridgestone BT01 and very nice roll-in to corners.

Some of choosing a tyre is about be learning how you ride & where but from reading hte strings on this site, It seems that the Speed Four is good with any good tyre of the right size.

And that always has been the mark of a bike that really handled well.

Jon :cool: :-D :cool:
Hope your winter is not too cold :-D

·
Registered
235 Posts
On 2006-11-18 08:18, Joe-Dirt wrote:
I'll recommend Avon AV-45/46 Azaro sport touring tyres. Made in England. You can buy them for about $215 a set HERE. :wink:
What with that "made in England" stuff and some of you guys? Those tires are crappy, don't get them. I have 2 friends with them, they both say the tires were cheap but*****. Also, I recently read a tyre test, in the touring category Azaro was dead last, and by a margin

·
Registered
8 Posts
I never had problems with Avons. I would think tires from a wet and cold country might be pretty good in the wet and cold. I've never heard anyone call them "crappy" before.

·
Registered
907 Posts
you guys seem to miss the inexpensive and longevity factors.

sure the tires designed to last longer wont offer the same traction as a higher performance tire, especially in the wet. However, on his commute in the rain, im sure hes not trying to drag a knee, so they would be fine. Secondly performance tires cost alot more and weill only last him 3k miles or so.

·
Super Moderator
8,870 Posts
I got very good mileage out of Pirelli Diablos on my TT600. They did just fine in really lousy weather, including a blizzard. No, I didn't ride in snow, just the ruts between piles of snow. Needless to say, I wasn't going very fast at the time. I have Michelin Pilot Powers on the 675 now, and they may or may not last as long, but they stick fine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wasn't there someone on here using the scorpion sync's? supposedly those are great wet weather tires with a high silica content so they warm up real fast.

·
Registered
907 Posts
what i would actually do is...run race take offs of whatever you can find.

I have Pirelli Dragon Supercorsas on mine.
were free, putting like 3k miles on em

next are the qualifiers in my closet haha

·
Registered
67 Posts
Fitted Pirelli Diablos after the standard BT010's and I am very happy with them - if I can get reasonable mileage from them I will probably get them again. :-D

·
Super Moderator
8,870 Posts
On 2006-11-18 21:54, FuryFour wrote:

Race takeoffs are cheap to pick up, but they are also a good way to land on your head if you use them in cold, wet weather. Super high performance tires like that don't work very well until they are hot, and you won't ever get your tires hot enough to make them stick under normal street riding conditions, especially in the winter up here in cold, damp climates. In Florida, you might get away with it if you don't push on cold tires, and if you don't ride in the rain too much, but racers use tires until they are about to go 'off' anyway, and race tires that are cooked are a real adventure under the best of circumstances. Riding on tires that have gone off is a little like riding on tires that have a coat of vaseline on them.

·
Registered
907 Posts
On 2006-11-19 12:51, Will wrote:
On 2006-11-18 21:54, FuryFour wrote:

Race takeoffs are cheap to pick up, but they are also a good way to land on your head if you use them in cold, wet weather. Super high performance tires like that don't work very well until they are hot, and you won't ever get your tires hot enough to make them stick under normal street riding conditions, especially in the winter up here in cold, damp climates. In Florida, you might get away with it if you don't push on cold tires, and if you don't ride in the rain too much, but racers use tires until they are about to go 'off' anyway, and race tires that are cooked are a real adventure under the best of circumstances. Riding on tires that have gone off is a little like riding on tires that have a coat of vaseline on them.
haha oh yea didnt think about it.... i haven't had any problems ;-)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the responses.

Pilot roads are out because of the wet performance.

Between the pirelli diablo and diablo stradas, the stradas seem a better choice. Longer life and better wet grip are worth a small tradeoff in dry grip to me.

How would the contiforce road attacks and pirelli diablo strada compare? Has anyone here tried both?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts