Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well I did a few searches and found this subject for Daytona's and Triples, but no mention for Sprints....

I am considering getting tank grips for two reasons:

1. The grip (duh!).

2. Insulation / comfort - the tank makes a great heat sink when it is cold....

Anyone got / what / recommend tank grips for the Sprint? I know I could buy one of those 'universal kits' and mess around cutting it, etc - but I am seeking an 'out of the box' solution if possible......

·
Registered
218 Posts
Stomp Grip gets the best reviews from everyone I've asked about it. They don't have a pre-cut fit set for our bikes last time I checked (about 6 months ago?), but the universal kits should be easy enough to cut to the tank leg indentations. I'm looking in to getting Stomp Grip myself.

I just checked bikebandit, they do have stompgrip pre-cut kits for the daytona 675 and the daytona 995i..? no Sprints listed. All their kits run $41.99.

·
Registered
232 Posts
JR - try the TechSpec's... I have a paper template I cut for my Sprint and you can stop by and get a copy from me if you want.... Just order the universal sheets.

www.techspec-usa.com

They are easily removable, and the material is less harsh than the Stompgrips, and no worries about air bubbles underneath. they also come with a matching protector on the front as well as the sides.

Stompgrips rock too, just a little more difficult to apply/remove. I had them on my last sportbike, but felt they looked and felt like shower mats. ;-)

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appreciate the advice and offer - just where would I need to stop by though - not Australia I hope! ;)

·
Registered
322 Posts
JR - try the TechSpec's... I have a paper template I cut for my Sprint and you can stop by and get a copy from me if you want.... Just order the universal sheets.

www.techspec-usa.com

They are easily removable, and the material is less harsh than the Stompgrips, and no worries about air bubbles underneath. they also come with a matching protector on the front as well as the sides.

;-)
+1 on the TechSpec grips. I have them on my '02ST, they work very well and hold up good. They are a 'wear' item, so they dont last forever, but they sold me enuf to last me several years. They come in a sheet, so you can make a template and just make a bunch any size/shape for each side (thats what I did).

·
Registered
218 Posts
I was looking at the TechSpec website, they do sell pre-cut pads for the 05-08 Speed Triple.. Would that set fit well on the 05-08 Sprint tank, or is it better to just get the universal set and trim it down?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I was looking at the TechSpec website, they do sell pre-cut pads for the 05-08 Speed Triple.. Would that set fit well on the 05-08 Sprint tank, or is it better to just get the universal set and trim it down?
If I remember rite, they included a template for my '02ST, but I didnt like the shape. I bought the sheet-grip, then put my bike on the center stand. Got on and sat in various positions (i.e; normal position, tucked-in, leaning..etc) and paid attention to where exactly my knee's were for each position. Used blue-painters' masking tape to outline the major area where my knee's contacted. Then experimented with a few of my own templates until I came to my desired shape, size and look I liked. Then traced the template out on the reverse side of the sheets so I could make as many grips for my tank as I could to avoid unnessesary waste of material. When they wear out, I remove the old and grab a new set. Just like as if i was replacing brakepads! (-: Anything to reduce intrusion on my riding time.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I tried to transfer the ones off my Speedy when I switched for the Sprint, and they didn't fit so well. I ended up trimming them down a bit, and never really liked the fit. Universal is the way to go so you can tailor them to your needs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have tried to upload a photo of TechSpec tank grips fitted to my 2008 Sprint but it has failed twice. It's probably too large and I don't know how to make it smaller. I can email it to anyone who is interested.

I made the template up myself and can mail a copy (email or snailmail) to anyone who wants it. I have provided a copy to TechSpec-Australia so they can add it to the bundle of templates they provide with the sheets.

I fitted them to prevent the damage that was being done to the paintwork when my knees ground insects into the clearcoat. I think they improve the look of the bike and they look ok with the Triumph carbon fibre tank protector. Before anyone asks - the marks on the tank are reflections - not scratches.

Cheers

John

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Please email me the info, it sounds like just what I am looking for - My addy is on my profile. :)

Thanks, John.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Tried to send the photo and template to you but had the same problem, so I have been playing around with them and have managed to shrink their size. Hopefully successful this time in attaching them to this reply.

Note the chamfered edges which are essential to prevent the edges lifting. I thought it was going to be difficult to chamfer them but did it easily freehand using a Dremel handtool with a small grindwheel fitted. I expect sandpaper wrapped round a block would do the same job but a lot slower.

Cheers

John

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts