Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about this the other day...

Even though I listened mainly to Moody Blues (music to get girls drunk by... you know ;)), Led Zepplin, The Who (party music), Pink Floyd (head music), Rolling Stones and Jefferson Airplane (out raising he11 music), Steve Miller's "The Joker" pretty much sums up my teen years.

Disco took over the USA when I was in high school, so I pretty much abandoned rock at that point and started listening to old blues and jazz.

What about you?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I've seen so much music in my life. Born in '62 when rock 'n roll was still in its infancy, then the British invasion, the psychedelic age, Motown, disco, punk, new wave, alternative, metal, grunge, and I loved it all at one time or another, though not always when it was popular or fashionable.

But the song that defines my youth would probably be "Staying Alive", the official anthem of the disco age and my high school years.

And no, rap and hip-hop are not music.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Danger Zone - Kenny Loggins OK Who didn't want a Kawi GPZ900R after seeing the movie especially in high school - got one the next year as soon as I enlisted and had it all through college when I was selected to turn my chevrons into bars - 20 years later retirement baby :)

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
I'm with hidesert on this one, still cutting my teeth, if pushed it would have to be "Paint it Black" The Stones.

-----------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Everyman - Jackson Browne

My brother and I, and most of our friends spent a lot of time in the early 70's talking about dropping out of society and living off the land, building a cabin in the woods, hunting bears and eating berries and whatever else there is to eat when you live off the land. We were all too young, stupid and naive to be able to define what our hippie paradise would look like, and had no idea how to travel there, but the dream was nonetheless real.

It's fun to fantasize, but dreams of paradise are sometimes nothing more than nebulous discontent and won't lead to anything tangible. I have to hand it to my brother for never letting go of his dream, but I also know that he has never been able to define it beyond some vague and restless notion of independence. He eventually did manage to walk away from society, but in a way that only led to his isolation, and to further discontent. Even in the early 70's, when he and I would talk all night about staking out our place in the wilderness, I somehow knew it would lead to this.

I remember very clearly the day, in 1973, that I picked up Jackson Browne's second album at the record store. I rushed home, grabbed a beer, and began the ritual of the first playing. I sat on the floor in front of my stereo, put on my headphones, carefully removed the vinyl record, cleaned it with my Discwasher, gingerly placed it on the platter, and lowered the tone-arm. As each song played I followed the lyrics, examined the album cover, and checked out the musicians who played on the album.

One song, Everyman, worked its way through me and I played it over and over again. The relevance of that song to my life and my brother's life was immediately apparent. With each playing, dreams of utopia faded to insignificance, and the floor beneath me grew firm.

Everyman - Jackson Browne

Everybody I talk to is ready to leave
With the light of the morning
They've seen the end coming down long enough to believe
That they've heard their last warning
Standing alone
Each has his own ticket in his hand
And as the evening descends
I sit thinking 'bout everyman

Seems like I've always been looking for some other place
To get it together
Where with a few of my friends I could give up the race
And maybe find something better
But all my fine dreams
Well though out schemes to gain the motherland
Have all eventually come down to waiting for everyman

Waiting here for everyman--
Make it on your own if you think you can
If you see somewhere to go I understand
Don't ask me if he'll show -- baby I don't know

Somewhere later on you'll have to take a stand
Then you're going to need a hand

Everybody's just waiting to hear from the one
Who can give them the answers
And lead them back to that place in the warmth of the sun
Where sweet childhood still dances
Who'll come along
And hold out that strong and gentle father's hand?
Long ago I heard someone say something 'bout everyman

If you see somewhere to go I understand

I'm not trying to tell you that I've seen the plan
Turn and walk away if you think I am--
But don't think too badly of one who's left holding sand
He's just another dreamer, dreaming 'bout everyman​

·
Registered
627 Posts
Difficult to choose

The ones I listened to the most ,Pink Floyd-animals,dark side of the moon,works,wish you were here, the wall,.......Kansas,Steely Dan........Rolling Stones-made in the shade,some girls...Aerosmith-Get your Wings.....Genesis,ELP......Foghat,BTO,.......and my favorites Doobie Brothers ,Joe Walsh,Eric Clapton,Eagles Keef: Never heard Echoes , but would like to get.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts