Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, particularly those that have gone down the sidecar route, I am thinking / toying with a 'chair', and would welcome experiences of those that have gone down this route, particularly with a T100 or Bonneville. In my case, I have a mag wheel black bonnie and am particularly taken with Motopodd, as this new sports chair/pod is a great design, minimalist and open to the elements yet very well engineered and great design. I think it could work well for occasional passenger use and touring/day trips, whilst still being sporty, so I can push on with my highly tuned Bonnie.

www.motopodd.com

Other options would be Charnwood Restorations Meteor, which is a great post-war design and looks comfortable and woujld suit the bonnie.

http://www.charnwoodclassic.com/charnwood_meteor_sidecars.html

The other option is a Watsonian Manx GP but I think these are just too old fashioned, albeit I love the style.

http://www.watsonian-squire.com/gp_sidecars.html

I looked at the new old Steib, but like the Watsonian, I think the style is too 'old' for what is really a 70's throwback bonnie with the mag wheels.

So, thoughts, criticism, ideas all welcome - but one thing - a Cozy is not an option - too expensive when you include the freight/import costs.

·
30,041 Posts
I still think the Hedingham Sprite is the bees knees for the Bonneville. I think that would suit it down to the ground.

http://www.hedinghamsidecars.com/Hedingham-Sprite.php

The Charnwood meteor like Lake has on his Thruxton is also a beautiful chair. I like the rounded nose and tapered rear, I just think they look sporty (both of these chairs) and would look great on the Bonneville.

Hedingham Sprite and Charnwood meteor are similarly priced. Sprite a few hundred cheaper. The sprite includes fitting, the meteor does not, so the Sprite is much better value. Hedingham have been in the sidecar business a long time - they really know how to set them up right.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think sofiaspin needs to focus on UK based manufacturers / dealers.
Thanks Prop yes I have a Union Jack on my forehead - I looked at the Hedingham Sprite and it does look good, good price too - not keen on the valanced mudguard but definitely in the mix - the Motopodd is the loose cannon here anyway, looking forward to the comments coming thick and fast.

·
30,041 Posts
Well it's just economics - the cost of freight and import duties just puts the foreign makes out of reach, which is a shame because there are some nice USA outfits, but there it is. I had the same problem when I was looking at the Hedingham for myself. Maybe one day, but right now it's just too expensive.

At least you've got a couple of good options there. Not keen on the motopodd myself, I prefer the other more classic lines, but it's a nice little sidecar.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Would it be possible with all the various sidecars out there to have the matching Bonnie mag wheel on the car? I've not seen that yet, and I have googled like a mad man!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
The mag wheel Bonnie is a good base to start with, there is a lot of stress placed on the rear wheel of a bike tugging a sidecar. I had a Hedingham SS on an SP MotoGuzzi some years back - I imported that sidecar into the states, it was very expensive. Hedingham chairs are very nicely done, you have an great advantage being in Scotland. The mag wheel Bonnie is a little lower than the spoked wheeled versions, so handling will be enhanced a little. Maybe a 16 or 17" sidecar wheel would work well.
Good luck with your outfit.
Tom

·
Registered
901 Posts
Folks, particularly those that have gone down the sidecar route, I am thinking / toying with a 'chair', and would welcome experiences of those that have gone down this route, particularly with a T100 or Bonneville. In my case, I have a mag wheel black bonnie and am particularly taken with Motopodd, as this new sports chair/pod is a great design, minimalist and open to the elements yet very well engineered and great design. I think it could work well for occasional passenger use and touring/day trips, whilst still being sporty, so I can push on with my highly tuned Bonnie.
Phil Plummer, the former owner of West County Sidecars sent me an article one time titled "How to ruin a perfectly good motorcycle"... the short answer was "attach a sidecar"... it was a tongue in cheek look at the "fun" of sidecar ownership... and the effects that mounting one has on a motorcycle...

I will tell you... it TOTALLY changes the character and demeanor of the bike... two wheels and three wheeled rigs bear NO resemblance to each other...

That said... I needed to be able to do "three up riding" as I have two daughters.. . I did a lot of looking around back in '04 and settled on the Motorvation Engineering Spyder hack... it had the classic look I was after and the integrated chassis/body was a big bonus to me in terms of appearance and safety...Plus, it is easily attached and detached, which is an important consideration to me since I ride 95% of the time without the hack attached...

Look at pics here: http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbums/showgallery.php/cat/1415

Now, you being in the UK, I doubt that it would be fiscally feasible to purchase and import one... The Watsonian Stratford looks really nice... has that classic look that would work with a Bonnie...

http://www.watsonian-squire.com/stratford_images.html

·
Registered
569 Posts
Ever since I saw the Charnwood meteor on Lake's Thruxton I've thought that would be the sidecar for me. In North America though we mount the sidecar on the right hand side of the bike, I assume so that the driver is closer to the on coming traffic (opposite in the U.K., right?). I wonder if a person was to import one if the manufacturer allows for mounting on the right side?

My 11 year old daughter want me to put a sidecar on so badly. Maybe by the time she has a daughter I'll be ready. ;)

·
30,041 Posts
I think you'll find that the UK manufacturers will set the chair up for mounting on the left side of the bike. I know that Hedingham does that.

You might want to look around for a used sidecar - if you can find a spirit eagle sidecar, they look a lot like the charnwood (not pointed at the rear though), and have the nice rounded nose. I picked one up and I'm going to put it on my CB750.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Ever since I saw the Charnwood meteor on Lake's Thruxton I've thought that would be the sidecar for me. In North America though we mount the sidecar on the right hand side of the bike, I assume so that the driver is closer to the on coming traffic (opposite in the U.K., right?). I wonder if a person was to import one if the manufacturer allows for mounting on the right side?

My 11 year old daughter want me to put a sidecar on so badly. Maybe by the time she has a daughter I'll be ready. ;)
Les at Charnwood Classic Restorations will set it up for the right hand side but it will require a different mudguard. I'm sure he would also pack and freight it over for you, he even gets them colour matched by Dreammachine but the cost would be high though.

An alternative option would be to fit the Meteor body onto a different chassis (it can be fitted either way, its symmetrical) and it would save you a fortune as you could source everything from the USA apart from the main body which would just bolt-on. Worth considering. I'm not sure what the price of just the body, screen and upholstery would be, but Les would be only too happy to let you know if you send him an email [email protected].

·
Registered
333 Posts
well. i've got a lot of experience with bonnies and sidecars..

i mean like, i go all the way back to march of (what year was that again?) oh yeah, 2011.

this one seems to work okay.

only problem is that everybody smiles and waves at me all the time..sheesh!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts