Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Totally new to the Triumph world, but liking the ST.

Going to the Dealer soon (Ft. Lauderdale, FL) and don't want to walk in there not knowing what a fair price is.

Out the door prices are the most helpful.

Thanks,

Michael D.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Are you planning on purchasing an ABS model, or a non-ABS model?

Based on my research, the dealer purchases the bike based on a certain percentage lower then the MSRP from the regional Triumph distributor.

If its an ABS model, the lowest I've gotten from the dealers I've been to was $12,400 - OTD, and thats with them almost eating all the freight and license costs.

For non-ABS I only got around $11,800 - OTD, which is terrible if you do some math.

Now, I hear the dealers I've been going to suck, so my numbers may not be the best. But 'tis what I have seen.

Good luck to you and welcome. :hammer:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
No sales tax in florida?

non-ABS $9,900 for the bike. ($10,900MSRP)
Prep is $300 maybe
dealer paperwork $40 maybe
DMV tags in Fla. is what, $50?

Just make sure they take $1000 off MSRP, cause thats what it will be worth, as soon as you leave the dealership. Not kidding!

walk away if they don't take $1,000 off MSRP. Pleanty of dealers around. :-D

G

·
a204600

Where are you getting that deal if you don't mind my asking? I am checking out both Great Bay and Second Wind, first stop will be whomever gets an 07 in first.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So in other words... my local dealers suck.

I'm starting to think I should buy the bike online and just eat the shipping.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Not a bad idea.

·
Registered
852 Posts
It is a bit important to support your local dealer though, without sales your local dealer will have trouble staying in business and then you will have trouble getting service when you need it without having to take a long trip.

·
Registered
58 Posts
On 2007-03-07 18:00, Sprint1050DA wrote:
It is a bit important to support your local dealer though, without sales your local dealer will have trouble staying in business and then you will have trouble getting service when you need it without having to take a long trip.
I've been tossing this around for a while, and I hate having to rely on the dealer when they can't seem to give me any good service. But I will see what can be done, I know a few places I can go to get the bike worked on besides them.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I don't know what that does to the warranty though. I know that every time I get my bike serviced they have to stamp the warranty book, does it void the warranty to have it worked on at somewhere other than a Triumph dealer?

·
Registered
861 Posts
On 2007-03-07 18:00, Sprint1050DA wrote:
This sparks a thought...
I paid $1378.00 for a 12k service and tire change. On the way home, I had to stop twice to loosen the chain and straighten out the back wheel. Not to mention that the engine kept accelerating as I backed off the throttle. Not to mention that my beautiful gel seat was ruined with a scouring pad. Not to mention I had to swallow my pride when my friends asked me "how does it feel".
Not to mention that when I returned with these complaints, they told me that this is the way all thier bike are handled, that I was 'crazy'...that the mechanic who worked on my bike has 20 years of experience...funny...'cuz when I met him, he couldn't be more than 28 years old...do the math. I had to go back 5 times to get the bike back to its pristine character, arm twisting them to balance the throttle bodies the right way...I saw what they did when he hooked up the balancer, boy did they mess them up. Excuses I got.
I love Triumph bikes, I bought a second one, but not from that dealer. Now I cringe thinking that I'm going to bring my new Sprint in for it's 6k service, it's actually 3k overdue...Any dealers reading this, I want to watch them work on my bike please!!!!
The service at Ledgewood left me with fear, and I can do my own work better in my garage, and I think I will.
But i do love the performance of the Triumphs. The service...eh!!.

[ This message was edited by: airrider03 on 2007-03-09 20:58 ]

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just left a deposit for an 07 ABS for 12125 out the door and a free helmet and a discount on anything on the racks.
Greg

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
congrats on the new bike.

Airrider, sorry about your troubles.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Holy hell airrider03, @%^!.

Thats what I'm afraid of. I'm no mechanic, I know very little about the bikes components, and I don't want to spend billions fixing the bike (haha).

Friggin' dealers.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have owned an independent auto repair shop (7 years) and worked as a master auto tech for several dealers, and now work for Ducati/Triumph NYC. Note that these are my opinions only and not necessarily those of my employer.

My two cents: dealers and independents vary and you should consider the following:

warranty work may only be done at a dealership

dealers have more service info, factory parts/training and special tools like scanners for serious and/or complex problems as well as the latest service bulletins and recall info.

A dealer will be more likely to go to bat on your behalf with the manufacturer about problems if you've bought your bike and/or parts and accessories from them. This can be very important if you experience a major problem under or just out of warranty that has some leeway as to cause.

Independents may be cheaper and have lower overhead, and may be able to provide more personalized service - particularly if they're smaller and less busy.

If you buy a new bike on the cheap from some far out of state discounter and run into, say, an improper setup issue don't expect your local dealer to bend over backwards on your behalf. Same deal if you're one of those people who come in and try on every helmet & a few jackets, gloves then buy it all mail order.... or call and pick the tech's brain about a problem for a half hour then fix it yourself with parts you bought somewhere else.

Nobody likes being taken advantage of and doing free work primarily gets you the opportunity to do more free work.

For service, if you have particular needs be sure to tell the dealer personnel in advance. If your bike is perfect and you are very detail oriented, let them know ( I always told the service writer I was a master tech when dropping off relatives' cars for warranty work and made sure they understood I was going to check the work when done ) . Do read the copy of the service order before you leave the dealership when dropping the bike off - make sure what you want done is on there, accurately and in full.

Do tell the service writer if you need it back by a particular date and time - calling Friday at lunch and saying you now need it back by 3pm isn't going to help things if you left it there with no firm due date and a laundry list of work to do.

Feel free to request a particular mechanic if you've liked his work in the past; the reverse is also true - you can request that a particular person not work on your machine.

If you have a problem with work done, *DON'T WAIT TO BRING IT BACK!*. The longer you wait, the more difficult it will be to resolve. Out of sight, out of mind.

I hope this info proves helpful.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Stiles, thank you for that piece of mind. I actually created a little checklist for myself. I was wondering if some of those requests seemed appropriate and now I know they are.

Take care.

G

·
$12.5K OTD, 07 st black abs , probably a little bit high , but i got two apex helmets as part of the deal (it was a "buy new triupm" event)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts