Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm really glad to have found his forum before buying what I hope will be a fantastic bike.
I'm coming back to big bikes after having lived in Asia for years, where I didn't need anything more than a Honda Cub:), and would realy appreciate some good advice.
I've spotted a 955i ST in a local dealer, and it looks great - it's a 2004 (04) model with 16547 miles, a service history (not complete), and the garage will do a full service, tax, MOT etc.. It's been sitting unused for nearly 2 years now, though, as apparently the previous owner has stopped riding. It does look in extremely good condition.
My question is whether there's anything in particular I should be looking for or concerned about, and if there's any questions I should be asking the dealer?
As I said, I haven't ridden bikes for a long while and consider myself an ignoramus ready to learn when it comes to bike maintenance.
I've read through the noobie stickies and searched for similar threads with no luck. Has someone posted a "things to look out for when buying a new ST" list before?

Respect to you all and thanks for any replies.

James

·
Premium Member
24,382 Posts
Welcome mat out

Hi and welcome to our Sprint forum here at TRat.net James:)

I have an '04 Sprint ST in Caspian blue myself with 62,000kms on it.

The '04 is the last of the 955's and is a pretty bullet proof unit.

You will need to keep the maintenance schedules better than the previous owner but that is really the same for any bike.

The OEM tyres the Bridgestone BT 020's are not the best tyre suited to the bike, almost anything else is an improvement.

In the UK you will need to keep her clean of salt and protect your metal bits or you will have a deterioration issue.

They are powerful, very smooth with a excellent all round ability.

You will enjoy it I am sure, very torquey power delivery smooth from 2,000rpm to redline.

Enjoy the forum and thanks for reading the forum stickies already:)

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lightning

Hi Dave, and thanks for the quick reply; I'm going to take her out for a test ride this week, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers for now
James

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Things to look for

the 04 is a top bike (not biased, honest!)

Look for pulsing front brakes (dirty bobbins, or warped discs)

Check the rear suspension travel is smooth and free as the rear links can seize over time.

Get them to adjust the preload and spring ring on the rear shock to show it is free.

Get them to adjust the chain (with you there) to show that the rear eccentric hub has not seized.

Check over all the plastics for broken tabs etc... they can be a pain and lead to big cost.

If they have the hardbags, go for them!

Oh, and take it easy with the throttle... there's a lot of grunt there!

Enjoy

Rexx

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers

thanks for that Rexx - just the sort of list I was after.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Deposit Down!

Just wanted to give you an update - the test ride was great, and armed with the info you provided I've got a great deal.
Looking forward to posting some piccies in a few weeks when I pick her up. :)

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Good job Yogi. They are a great bike and soooooooo addictive as no doubt you realise now!

Have a look at some of the rubber bootie bits too as they tend to perish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts