Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me, winter is vehicle maintenance time. I missed out on a couple of winters due to illness. Doing better this year. Have a nice warm place to work, but it is not very big. One vehicle at a time. First up…J.D.
Cold air induction.jpg

·
Administrator
2,956 Posts
On the to do list is the following;

Yamaha Wolverine: F&W gear oil & transmission oil change.
Honda CRF 450 - oil & transmission oil change.
Dodge V10 Ram. Inlet port rework and engine oil change.
That is about it for me. Everything else done.

·
Registered
125 Posts
On my working slowly list is my 1993 Trophy - now just awaiting new tyres and a wheel refurb, then hopefully its first start up since I've owned it.

General maintenance on my 06 Tiger, just had to replace the brake light switch after it fell apart when checking the contacts.

Awaiting parts to fix my Merc SLK 320 after a brake servo vacuum connector broke, not helped by my local Mercedes dealer parts department.

A much, much longer project is my '89 Honda CB-1 (400), which has not seen the bench since I got the Trophy last January. I suspect that'll have to wait though as I also want to revamp the garage when the Trophy is done.

·
Registered
2020 t120
134 Posts
Current project is sealing the spoke rims on the t120. While putting it back together I'm going to grease the caliper pin threads and slide pins.
Then is some garden tractor stuff to do. Hyd hoses on a plow. Starting issue on the 318.
Mower deck fix up for the 332.
I have a 3pt single plow I'd like to clean up and paint, then set up for the 332. Maybe I can get to a plow day this spring with it and roll some dirt.
My truck seems to want a new u-joint now also, lol.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I bought a non-running suzuki quad for $75 a few months back. My 8 yo daughter wants to rebuild it with me. I figure we can spend some quality time together in the garage and then (hopefully!) she gets to enjoy the fruits of her labor riding around the backyard.
Time will tell if it's even savable. Hasn't been ridden in 10+ years. This weekend we opened up the transmission space (just a big open space with two pulleys and a belt)... I have NEVER seen such a large mouse nest. Ugh.

·
Registered
2014 Thruxton
326 Posts
Install voltmeters on my Thruxton & wife's CBR so we can monitor things while using electric vests. It seems to draw down the batteries while using vests so we need to know when it is happening.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Need to get the Mitsubishi [picture] back on the road. It has been down with smog issues since late 2018. Illness has kept me from finishing it. Then I need to put my Sprint back together. Only needs a throttle cable and a battery. Lastly my Legend needs a new starter motor. Parts are on the shelf. ...J.D.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nothing motorcycle related needs doing, apart from their annual wash - I ride all through winter anyway. I do have a list of scheduled maintenance items that need doing on my tractor though, and I need to work out where the irritating squeak is coming from on its loader. Hopefully it's something simple, but greasing all the grease points I can find hasn't fixed it :unsure:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Its our summer here now but when things do start to cool down a bit I have had my Norton Manxman project on hold for about 7 years the frame and frontend was done before I put it away for those years but all my other projects that have kept me away from it have all been done so in the next few weeks will start the 1960 Norton Manxman rebuild, I bought it in boxes and was a ex race bike so a lot of original parts missing so am building it into a cafe racer style bike, it has alloy wheels, alloy mid oil tank, a new alloy fuel tank, so far have rebuilt the forks, and brought new Ikon shocks, the motor needs complete rebuild, crank has been balanced and has hi compresstion pistons and have brought a new hot cam, I was building this bike for my youngest daughter but her and boy friend are now into Japanese drift cars and has lost the urge to ride again so it will be another hot rod Norton to my collection.

Ashley

·
Administrator
2,956 Posts
Sounds like we all have a good bunch of projects to keep us busy. It is also nice to see a bunch of us still "work" on our own equipment. We're kind of a dying bread.
I have a nieghbor friend that always talks how he fixes & works on everything --- His idea of fixing and working on his things is to put it in the back of the truck & take it to the "guy".

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got organized last winter. Had heat installed in the garage & moved all the mechanical stuff over from my other building. Most of the winter was spent on moving tools and equipment from next door. It is still unusually warm here for January [California desert]. Fixing my own stuff is my only "therapy" in the winter months. I can't handle riding in the cold at my age. Just a retired old gearhead. ...JD.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I do all or most of all my work restoring bikes and a few cars over the years, a few things get sent out like rebores and any major machining jobs other than that its done by my own hands, when I converted my 850 Commando into a Featherbed frame back in the early 80s I only had basic skills and tools but after owning it for over 45 years now I have a full equipted motorcycle workshop with lathe and milling machine, I am semi retired now and can't afford to pay someone else to do my rebuilds.
I was a T/A to the maintenance fitter and turners for over 20years and learned a lot of machining skills but the boss of the workshop had Sunbeam cars he did up, he kept bragging he fully restored 4 of them, but in realality he paid others to restore them all he did was polish them, I use to bale him up when he said he restored them, "no Kev you paid to get them restored", he use to get pissed off when I baled him up about it but he knew I was right.

Ashley

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is a good time to stay in, stay warm, and stay healthy. A series of bad health scares the last few years has made me really appreciate life. Just got over all that and this virus thing came out. I am determined not to let that get me. Having trouble getting going again, but wrenching is like riding… if you stop doing it, you die. Be safe everyone. …J.D.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
My mates are asking what I been up to as they haven't seen me around much these days, well I just tell them I am still living in the same place I have lived in all my life and I have plenty of things to keep busy at home, my wife goes out more than me, I only go out on the bikes, to the hardware store (Bunnings) to the booze shop when I feel like a drink or two at home, I just avoiding over crowed places and when I go to the shops I know what I need and usually straight in and out.
As I say to my mates I am still around and you know where I live and when I contact them to see if they want to go out on the bikes for a day ride they say I leave to early and ride to far without stopping much and you go to fast around the ranges and twisty roads or its overcast it might rain, so now I don't ask them and I ride with the mates who do enjoy the long day on the bikes instead of of the mates who like stopping all the time bragging how good their bikes are (bloody Harley owners), I just do my own thing and if anyone wants to join me they are always welcome and if not I go out by myself or with the wife on the back, but sometime I like being out on my own, its my escape.

Ashley

·
Registered
05 Speedmaster
101 Posts
My Stihl chainsaw leaks bar oil like crazy. I bought a new oiler tube, now gotta wait till the garage is a little warmer to do the fix. It's supposed to be in the upper 40's F this weekend so maybe I'll get it done Saturday.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Setting up my new Honda NC 750 X. Givi panniers and wind screen, Honda center stand, and who knows what else.
2018nc750x.jpg

Reactions: Back2-2 and Skwirl

·
Registered
2020 t120
134 Posts
T120 progress yesterday. Finished installing the front tire and calipers. The tire is holding air pressure. The rear tire is good to.
I took the calipers apart and put some synthetic brake grease on the slides and pad pins. Just so everything comes apart nicely when needed.
Did the rear caliper to. Just waiting for the sprocket to finish the rear.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Got rid of the smaller soft side saddlebags and replaced them with locking side cases on the Can Am Ryker Rally, a serious task considering there is no frame back there. Had to fab up a bracket to make it work. After welding, grinding, sanding and painting the new bracket, hardware and support brackets, it turned out pretty nice. I also painted each side case insert to match the Liquid Steel trim on the Ryker. I've been wanting to set it up for long distance trips ever since I purchased it last July. After adding all the other accessories, this was the final piece. It doesnt look like much of a project, but it was hours of labor to make it work.

Test fitting before paint.

Finished

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
181 Posts
U got a Ryker cool, nice fab work, I like! ...FTG

1 - 20 of 22 Posts