Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Someone is describing pipes to me via email. Are these TORS?

The stamp on the muffler says they don't conform to noise standards which means they are louder than stock, "for closed course use only" and "not for road use". These pipes look exactly like the stock exhaust but have less baffling.

Also: can pitting be repaired with ceramic or powder coating?

Thanks!

·
Registered
245 Posts
What model bike?

Really depends on the model of bike. I know the TORs for Scramblers look exactly like stock but have that message stamped on them. The other model bikes stock exhaust lack the distinctive heat shielding over the mufflers that the stock and TORs pipes for the Scram have though, therefore it can be trickier differentiating between exhaust systems on say Bonnies and Thruxtons.

Also the chrome Performance Thunderbike pipes for the Scram look nearly identical to stock\TORS except the ends are a little shorter.

Don't know about the pitting repair, but hope someone weighs in on that as I'd be curious to know too.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
They are bonneville triumph pipes, but they have the above message on them. it sounds like TORS to me, but i need to make sure. Thanks for everyone that is replying!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there are two sets of pipes i'm looking at

one set of bonneville pipes that say "for closed course use only" and "not for road use" with just a bit of pitting. i'm wondering if these are TORs and if i can get rid of the pitting or if its even a severe problem.

the others are TORS off a 2001 bonneville with "dime size surface rust spot that you can barely see at the header attachment point"

should i avoid both sets, or do i have nothing to worry about? keep in mind the prices are super reasonable.

·
Registered
245 Posts
endswithaW - not sure about how to handle pitting or rust, although I'm sure a bunch of people here can.

But if you haven't already be sure to search the "parts for sale" forum here. From a trust standpoint it might be better to buy from someone here even if you spend a little more.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Pitting can be waxed out with light rubbing compound or neverdull. It will almost completely disappear and the wax will keep it from rusting more. I would stay away from actual rust spots on pipes. They are only going to get worse. By the time you powdercoat pitted pipes, I would think the cost would be almost the same as buying stainless aftermarket pipes, which are great.

Also, anything louder than a fart is going to say "for off road use" due to legal issues and noise regulations. I don't think you can even buy aftermarket pipes that are "noise compliant" and don't have some caviat about off road use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts