Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys and gals, help me out here please - I've done searches on this forum and drawn a blank. :(

My son has an 06 Daytona 675 (In the really fast Tornado Red colour :D )

He's in the RAF and it seems he has gotten his maintainence book into storage.

Can one of you tell me what oil spec/type is it and how is the oil level checked.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Mobil 1
4T Racing
Full Synthetic
15w-50

Motorcycle Specifc Oil

Available from Triumph Dealerships

Dip Stick is located on the lower right side of the engine, just below and to the rear of the clutch cable linkage.

Oil should be added through the oil fill hole, found at the top of the clutch cover.

Correct Fill level is to the top ring around the stick (NOT THE TOP OF THE CROSS HATCHING ABOVE THE TOP RING, as originally reported in early versions of the owners manual and service manual - corrected in a Technical Service Bulletin in February of 2006).

Level should be checked when the bike is standing upright, not on the side stand.

Suggested method is to lean over the bike from the opposite side, laying your chest across the seat to steady the bike in the upright position (unless you have a helper who can steady the bike).

According to the sevice manual, it should take 2.6 litres to fill with a filter change, but I have found it to be a little closer to 3.0 litres if you change the oil while it is warm and allow it to drain completely.

Hope this helps...

TripleThreat

·
Super Moderator
8,474 Posts
I do the oil check in a bit simpler way. I just get on the bike, hold it upright and steady like I would if stopped at a stoplight for about 10 seconds. Then I put it back down on the sidestand and check the oil. The oil is still on the dipstick, and since you have to screw the dipstick in all the way to check properly, this method works really well if you check before going out on the bike.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hot tip

Also don't forget to run at idle for about 5 min as described in manual before checking if you're in a cold climate.
So many times I have overfilled a cold engine....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts