Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What mods have been particularly successful and have improved the quality of your biking life or pleasure of ownership?

These are my main ones:

* The Monza quick-fill chromed gas cap. Makes re-fueling almost a pleasure, looks and works well. I look forward to it, and the other day I caught the gas station attendant actually stroking it in a loving way...the pervert.

* Surprisingly, the Scottoiler Vsystem chain oiler. I fought against it and tried all sorts of methods of lubing my chain but this is the best. Whenever I glance at the chain now all I see is a clean, shiny and moist component that works efficiently and silently and will last considerably longer than an unlubricated or neglected item. Covered 1000's of km with it now and the chain shows no need of attention or adjustment yet.

* The PJ Glassfibre's ram-air ventilated side panels. The lovely shape and lustrous factory-like finish not only ensure a continuous supply of fresh, cool air to the airbox, but make the bike look more "muscular" and manly, somehow.

* The Farley & Ace friction steering damper. Neat and unobtrusive with just a beautiful alloy knob (now polished to a chrome-like finish) protruding from the top triple clamp, steadies the steering, adjustment is easy and quick on the go, and has another advantage I had not realised until I released it completely the other day: It stops the handlebars wobbling gently when coming to a stop. With it nipped up slighly the bike tracks straight and true right down to walking speed and stops straight. Makes me look as if I'm in total control.

* The Fenda-extenda rigid plastic mudflap for the front fender. Looks as if it's part of the bike and keeps the front of the engine, downtubes, oil cooler, etc nice and clean. Well worth the little it costs.

* The combination of Intiminator inertia valves on the front forks and Hagon Classic shocks on the rear. Bike simply glides along in total control. Corners as if it's on rails.

* The combination of an Oiled foam Unifilter and crankcase breather re-routing away from the airbox. An inspection after 10,000 km of the inside of the airbox reveals a perfectly clean and dry interior, a tribute to the effectiveness of the foam filter in trapping dust and absence of combustion by-products, oil or water normally piped in there by the breather hose.

* The Upgraded horns, twin Stebel Magnums TM80. Very loud, penetrating and effective. It warns others of your approach most effectively, even when used before rounding blind bends to alert budding Alonsos that come round the bends using half of your lane.

* The large and powerful (21W v 10W OEM) flasher units from a Yamaha Virago together with the hazard light facility recently installed means that I can confidently signal others with authority and know thay can see me doing so.

* The Dart Flyscreen. Beautifully made, with neat fixings, provides chest wind protection out of proportion to its size.

* The Arrow 2-into-2 stainless steel exhaust system. Beautifully made, great fit and finish, and almost half the weight of the OEM system. Wonderful, spine-tingling howling sound, with quickly detachable baffles if you fancy a quieter life. Wakes up the performance and its matt finish is easily cleaned using nothing more than a damp rag.

* The TTP (TriumphTwinPower) Up'n'Over rear brake caliper re-location bracket. An elegant, well-made component that keeps the caliper clear of dirt and makes maintenance and inspection a pleasure. It also looks good.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I've got a little clock which fixes onto the steering stem nut, sad I know but I like to know the time when I'm out. Not exactly in the same league as your Forchetto but I've only had it 6 weeks.

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
1- Arrow 2 into 1
2- YSS adjustable shocks in rear, progressive springs up front
3- corbin Gunfighter seat.

Three most impactful in that order.

edit- I forgot another important one: converting to Thruxton rearsets. Awesome.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The one and only I've done.... the no-cost AI bypass (marble in the hose).... Cost me 99 cents for a bag of marbles of which I only used 1. That's less than a penny, which I consider no cost.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Only really done 2.
1st was Staintunes. That took care of the sound.
2nd was the Marc Hanna airbox mod. That was/is the Duck's.
3rd will be overall suspension. At the mo', it sucks.
Oh, and the Dart is coming. Only for the long rides, but.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Its a long list!

But at the top of it is.....

All the air box mods (including cutting it up and throwing it away!) :)

And.....

Fitting a 3.5" x 17" front wheel to my Scram....... WoWee!! :D

V.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I'm another with a long list, but I'm particularly pleased with:
1) Progressive shocks (Thrux length) and Ikon fork springs
2) Organic rear brake pads; much better feel than the OEM sintereds
3) Epco mufflers; music to my ears, my muffler-junkie days are over

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
The most significant ergonomic change made on my '04 thruxton was doing the clip on elimination and fitting speed triple bars. Comfort in town + lots of leverage for the twisties, but low enough to allow speeds to about 90 without significant wind blast.

Performance-wise, I have to say that three things transformed my airbox-eliminated, D&D piped machine (this is how I purchased her),
these being early 790 cams, CR35 carbs, and a pieman-modified ignitor. The bike is a handful now.

In the handling department, I can't say enough about the YSS rear shocks and emulators in the front forks. Took all the jarring out of the ride and makes it possible to put the power to the pavement. Another favorable change was addition of a fork brace, which took out the high speed wobble I had when pushing hard through the curves...

YMMV,

--Rich

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Most important for me was Modre's peg lowering kit and raising the handle bars a bit. Scrambler gel seat and occasionally a solo seat. Then the next most important was progressive front springs to stop the dive and some good hagons in the rear. Increasing the power and improving the sound with sleepers and opening up the air box for about 68 hp was great, but the comfort and handling improvement exceeded that. Icing on the cake was bright leds for the oil warning and turn signal warning lights, a LOUD Wolo (same as Nautilus) horn, headlight modulator and brake light modulator and Metzeler Tourance tires. Procom igniter that I bought for $25 was worthwhile, but I rarely wring it out anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
All good. Considering the source, a I'll be adding a few on your recommendation alone.

I currently use the DuPont Teflon chain spray. Is the Scottoiler lubricant a non-dirt attracting product that won't leave me with a dirty oily chain and wheel? (I assume so from your "clean & shiney" comment). Please explain....

Thanks. Always good to get testimonial from a pro. When I order, I'll be sure to tell them why!

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the Scottoiler lubricant a non-dirt attracting product that won't leave me with a dirty oily chain and wheel? (I assume so from your "clean & shiney" comment). Please explain....
The oil they recommend doesn't become sticky at all. Apparently they claim the little that gets flung off in normal use serves to get rid of the dirt as well. I took this with a pinch of salt but it looks as if they're right.

After a few miles some ends up on the rear wheel rim, but it's very easy to just wipe off, unlike the sticky gunge that Castrol chain wax left behind. Needed a chisel for that muck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
1st - Cam swap and airbox mod. 55RWHP to 70.5. I came to the thrux after riding a CBR1000. 55 horsies was a hard come down, what I have now is plenty. The twin sound craps all over the honda's soul-less noise.
2nd - Fender Elimination / Replace signals - just a cosmetic thing I know, but I really hated the rear end with the star trek lights. I love ducking out of work for a ciggie and just staring at the bike
3rd - Got rid of the stock mickey mouse mirrors - useless, ugly and tricky to adjust without tools, replaced with CRG hindsights. Nice.

Next up - Ikon Rears and Progressive springs, then I think I'll rest on my laurels for a bit. Or not.
Wouldn't mind beefing up the brakes a bit too.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Putting longer shock absorbers on my Bonneville and moving the stock handle bar back just a fraction of an inch has made it the most comfortable motorcycle that I have ever owned, mile after mile after mile after mile.....:)

·
Registered
536 Posts
This small observation may save someone a little money in not replicating the errors made by me in the past. On previous Bonneviles (all T100's) I have ordered and collected them from the dealers with many hundreds of pounds of aftermarket goodies as I obviously thought they would be essential for my needs/pleasure. WRONG !. This time bought a bog standard base, alloy wheeled model and added as equipment as it became apparent it was required. First on were the heated grips (took delivery in January and ride every day that you can "stand up") superb addition. Next came the center stand, a must for general maintenance. This was followed by a Scottoiler and I would recommend this very highly. Next will be a Dart flyscreen, just to take the edge off at speed and then a Monza cap as I find that as I have to fill up every second day the standard cap to be a surprisingly annoying aspect of the bike. In the first few weeks I deemed some form of seat mod to be essential but this seems to be less of an issue now, I will still get a "Gel insert" fitted when the opertunity arises as I wish to maintain the standard profile of the seat. All in all a better bike for my needs seems to be evolving. Almost forgot, TOR's had them from scratch, absolutely essential.

Geoff.

·
Registered
81 Posts
By far the most impactful mod I've done was a set of inexpensive 1" handlebar risers. They are unobtrusive and allow me to use drag bars comfortably.

My favorite aesthetic touches are the shaved front fender, painted silver-ish to look like alloy, and the British-Bird pinup girl decal laid under a new clear coat on my right side cowl.

The mod that others probably notice the most is the glass-packed emgo shorty reverse cones from Specialty Spares. The bike is now thoroughly capable of sounding it's presence if I so desire.

Next up...rear-sets...hoping to find a Thruxton rider who wants to swap for my Bonnie mids (I know, I'm not holding my breath).

·
Registered
161 Posts
What is the Monza gas cap?

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Hmmmmm I have done a ton of stuff to my Bonnie Black over the last few years. It would be hard to pick just one or which on I am happier with.

The airbox elemination/exhaust I think I am happiest with. When you do them together the gains are tremendous and they put a huge smile on my face when I start the bike up.

Appearnece wise, my paint job. It was an incredibly frustrating experience because of the winter I had and my complete lack of patience but now that it is done it is just so good.

Getting rid of the stock seat and going to the Scrambler solo seat for long hauls. My arse thanks me every mile.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Modifying the suspension (which has increased my average speed and enjoyment) and getting a Fly screen which in tandem with the custom seat provides me with all day riding comfort.

ric

·
Premium Member
2009 Bonnie A-1. 1968 T120R
1,049 Posts
In order of effectiveness:
Predators
Intiminators
Ikon Progressives Rear Shocks
Scottoiler
AI Begone

Pending: Airbox Removal

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.