Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to replace a totaled sprint RS,can anyone edcuate me as to what changes were made to come up with a tbird 'SPORT " model ? thanks

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
better front forks - 3 way adjustable cartridge
better front brakes - dual rotor 2 pot
lower handlebars
key locking seat retained on later models
different (higher) rear subframe
different exhaust setup with crossover pipe
different color combinations
different (taller, better and adjustable) rear shock
higher rear stance
rear set controls
different seat shape
different airbox covers (cosmetic)
shorter rear mudguard (shared with Legend)
17" wheels front and back.

Interestingly enough thats it - the engine and carbs etc remained the same as a regular Tbird in all but color. The quoted Bhp differences are myth.

All in all the TBS was better value for the money though - the upgrades improved the bike quite a bit for not all that much extra money. The feel of the bike is much more sports. A word of caution - in no way will it match up to your RS in handling or performance.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MM- THANKS for the info.after searching through this portion of the site, its like reading about english bikes back in the 60-70's.nothing but ignition and fuel problems.i lived through those days, NO intrest in returning ! 60 HP ? AIN'T NO WAY..................

·
Registered
199 Posts
johnO

Had an 04 RS and 04 TBS.... I agree that the TBS doesn't match the RS in power and handling but when it came time to move up to an R3 I traded in the RS. There is just something about the TBS that will keep it in my garage. That something goes beyond the specs and goes to something intangible for me. I only have 10k on the TBS and the only problem i had was a coil that crapped out early on and that was fixed under warranty. Since then everything has been great. Knock on Wood.

Good luck with whatever direction you take in the future.

Willy T

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
willy t- who did you trade your sssa RS TO ? I WANT IT !

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
MM- THANKS for the info.after searching through this portion of the site, its like reading about english bikes back in the 60-70's.nothing but ignition and fuel problems.i lived through those days, NO intrest in returning ! 60 HP ? AIN'T NO WAY..................
Thats a poor characterization these are actually very sound bikes - I'm sure a scan of the Sprint forum could make people think they were laiden with problems too - that s the thing about these forums - people often come here for help.

As I intimated before I doubt you would be happy with the performance as it isn't on a par - but it IS a completely different bike to ride.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I have had the Tbird for almost three years and it's reliability is as good as the Honda. The only thing is I can't seem to stop spending money to personalize it where as the Honda is just fine the way it is!:)

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
LOL - you know, I had an 02 Sprint ST and also the T-Bird. I got rid of the Sprint and kept the Bird. There is just nothing unique about the Sprint that endeared it to me. It was fun to ride, but not as much fun as my classic.

I have to agree that these bikes are very durable. I think many of the problems you hear on here are largely due to poor maintenance practices and ignorance (sorry folks). There are only a few small weak points on the machines, which perpetuate themselves in things that can be easily remedied.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I have to agree with Scot. It seems most of these problems were inherited with a purchase from somebody who didn't maintain the bike correctly.

·
Registered
411 Posts
l too sold my ST and have bought a TBS. The St beats the TBS in every department except one..... when l park up in a pub car park , l know most guys cming in will look at the TBS and nod approval, with the ST , they would not know it was there. It just looks soooo Triumph. Also it is multi-use, on a club runout with the old classics , it does not look out of place. On a run out with mixed bikes sports and crusiers, it has no problem keeping up. It may not have flatout top speed but it grunts away ok. We have so many speed cameras in the UK , that over 100+ speeds are pointless, The TBS has that lazy grunt like a Harley but with acceptable brakes and suspension. With Ohlins and multirate fork springs , plus mag wheels, my freinds TBS gives a few sports bikes a good run!!.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On this page alone there are TEN issues with electrics.... i rest my case.however,you can still sing for the chior,after all it is ST.PATRICS day.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
On this page alone there are TEN issues with electrics.... i rest my case.however,you can still sing for the chior,after all it is ST.PATRICS day.
You are clearly not the type of person that can handle owning one of these bikes.

On behalf of the group, I must decline your request for ownership.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
I wonder how you are using this as a yardstick - do you know how many T3 classics were made - do you know how many owners of T3 classics we have here? Have you notice that T3 riders are low on non-tech thread postings? this is 10 threads out of how many thousand.

I second Al's motion and label you as a Troll sir!

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Mick & Al, +1, well put!

·
Registered
411 Posts
sniff, sniff, yeh l thought so, that guys a Harley owner, of course we have more repair threads, Harley owners would no touch their pretty things with a nasty wrench, its off to Mr Main Dealer in the 4x4 and trailer.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Quote:
sniff, sniff, yeh l thought so, that guys a Harley owner, of course we have more repair threads, Harley owners would no touch their pretty things with a nasty wrench, its off to Mr Main Dealer in the 4x4 and trailer.

Isn't that the way you are supposed to make a Hardly Ableson move from one place to the other?

Darien

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
All of the T3's have the same electrical components. They are configured differently for each variation. So any of them will have the same potential problems.
That includes Sprints, Speed Triples, Trophy's, Tigers, and Daytona's. All of the 885 Triples and 1200 4's.

I doubt that the Triumph igniter, coils and pickup coil are any less reliable than any other motorcycle. They are quicker than any production Harley, except maybe the Vrod. Also quick enough to out run most production auto's at the stop light.

And as far as Carburetors.
It does not matter what name is on the tank, Carburetors need to be kept away from old fuel. That's pretty hard to do if you store your bike for part of the year. Fuel stabilizers help, but still those carbs will need cleaning eventually.

These bikes are unique. Very fun and satisfying to ride. If you do not like to make new friends at gas stops, move on to something with modern styling.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I frequent VFRworld which of course is a VFR forum. There is quite a bit of dialogue about issues and problems that do crop up from time to time. If you knew nothing about the VFR it would scare you away from owning one.

There is an old saying "if it has tires or boobs you'll eventually have problems with it"!;)

Buy the Triumph and enjoy the charm and character....

·
Registered
325 Posts
Be honest all t300s are crap.

Just admit it our bike's are unreliable pile's of junk.And the prices will just keep on rising unless we get this message out there!
We should do the world a service and buy up all these old triples for not much money.
I'll take 3 cheap ones here and now.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
No problem John, if you don't want to believe us. That'll be one more bike out there for us to collect and appreciate! :D

Most of the electrics problems are simply a matter of cleaning the contacts. Do that and add a little dielectric grease - problem solved. Of course, I understand if you are not capable of this. :eek: Old Triumphs had problems with shorting and improper termination. None of that going on with these bikes at all.

Give the ST forums a few years and you will see the same stuff cropping up there too I imagine. Had to clean a couple of switches on mine for the brake lights to work properly. Most of the bikes listed here with "issues" are older than the first RS ever created. All bikes require care and maintenance or they will have issues crop up. Good point also Al that most of the folks coming in with issues are second owners!

My advice for you is to go buy a green Harley. Happy St. Patsy's Day!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts