Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What characteristics make a hard core rider. I only asked because a friend of mine today told me I was a hard core rider and I honestly never thought of myself as one. I would like to hear your thoughts on what makes a hard core rider.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Anyone who can complete an Iron-Butt Rally is very hard core.

but so far as I'm concerned, a hard core rider is someone who rides most every day - rain/sun/wind/cold/hot.

Mechanical ability is a plus, but not a must.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
eigen funny you should say that ...the friend has been riding for years as well and does not own a car. He rides every day. I do consider him a hard core rider. He is also a throw back to the sixties. He is building a house or ...I think they call it an earth ship...I saw a few of them on the outskirts of Taos when I was up there riding with Hidesert...

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Earth Ships are cool. I'd love to build one some day.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since moving to NM....I ride year round. But even here with the huge elevation changes you have to be prepared for extreme weather and changes in temperatures.. I would not attempt going though certain ranges in Nov. ice and snow can be a great equalizer even for hard core riders.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I Ride every day,don't own a car, i'm 66 = Just a motorcyclist. :)
Modesto...I know certain areas of Cal.. are great for riding...on my big trip nothern cal..oregon and Washington nothing but steady and heavy rain....:Dat the time I was not grinning..oh and strong winds as well. I had the rain gear and luckily a heated vest as well.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And pea soup fog,weeks to months in winter.
Ever have fog freeze to ya?
Oh yes and in Maine they call it FROG,,,,:D I just like to ride myself...I don't think much about. I did not even plan the big ride until a couple of weeks before...too much planning can ruin a ride.....

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
And pea soup fog,weeks to months in winter.
Ever have fog freeze to ya?
Yes and it sucks. Impossible to see - even worse when wearing glasses. Had this happen to me on the interstate, about dropped the bike trying to pull over while dodging vague blurs I guessed were cars.

·
Registered
11,466 Posts
Never complaining but instead is invigorated by whatever challenges riding brings i.e., weather, road ragers, terrain, mechanical breakdowns etc.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Never complaining but instead is invigorated by whatever challenges riding brings i.e., weather, road ragers, terrain, mechanical breakdowns etc.
being prepared for weather and I left out mechanical difficullties.
On one of my rides on the Rocket the kuryakyn iso grips broke and it was sliding off ...I used electricl tape to fix it for the remaining miles ... Now the surgeon I work with is a two bike guy and he barely rides one...while he is a great surgeon and person when it comes to riding not so much. I met him at his ranch this morning waiting to have a great ride into work...he wasin his car...reason was there was a 40 % chance of rain....:D Invigorated...I like that but for me it comes from a feeling of testing myself...in the twisties or the distance and just enjoying the scenary and the environment I am in...except in New Jersey....lol

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
The old saying is you can recognize
a happy rider by the bugs on his teeth
may apply to hard core riders too.
That's not true. I wear a full face lid with visor down most of the time.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Ride most days and use the bike as an everyday workhorse.

If it's pissing down with rain or the temprature is below about 15F I sometimes get in the car. I also use the car when it's more convenient to carry stuff instead of trying to get it on the bike. No point in being stupid about it. 500 mile days are OK most of the time, but I don't do them for pleasure - only when I have to make the trip anyway.

I notice that doxiedog is from CA, where it's a bit easier to ride every day than in the UK.

I'm definitely not hard core.

Rob

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I've held a motorcycle license for 52 years, raced for about 25 years, but I'm just a guy that likes riding.

In my opinion this is the definition of hardcore:

John McGuinness. Holder of 19 TT wins, and the fastest lap record to date.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts