Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all.

I'm wondering what kind of general MPG reductions people have seen with the installation of aftermarket silencers.

I'm thinking of upgrading the stock ones on my 2016 T100... mainly just for the tone/sound. I'm really not worried about increasing the power (though, yeah... that'd be nice, too. :grin2: )

I guess I'm just wondering about whether the upgraded sound will be worth the MPG reduction.

Items under consideration so far (other suggestions welcome, of course): TORS, NH Togas.

One thing I've thought would be ideal would to be a matrix ranking various silencers for loudness, MPG effects, kickstand compatibility, etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
I recently did some experimentation with baffles in and out with my Predators and discovered I pick up a couple more MPG with the baffles inserted into the mufflers.

I end up leaving the baffles in since I like the sound and the better mpg.

Apparently this engine is happiest with some amount of back pressure.

As far as the power gain without the baffles.....that power gain happens up next to the red line. I never ride up on that end of red line. So real world riding I'd rather have the baffles in.

Also noticed less vibrations all the way through the rpm range. The bike's smoother now.

I'm glad I finely figured this out. It's been very enlightening.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recently did some experimentation with baffles in and out with my Predators and discovered I pick up a couple more MPG with the baffles inserted into the mufflers.
Thanks, sonicboom. I take it that when you say you picked up a couple more MPG that was comparing baffled to unbaffled Predators. How about over stock? Any idea?

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
I'd echo above. As long as the tuning is tweaked to match, it shouldn't matter too much. I happily got 45mpg with the preds without baffles.

I do have a new set of TORs going extremely cheap, if you're interested ;)

Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jkrobin

·
Registered
301 Posts
Slight drop in MPG for me (+/- 3mpg) with Togas and a retune. I'm sure a custom map instead of a canned one would help with that though

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd echo above. As long as the tuning is tweaked to match, it shouldn't matter too much. I happily got 45mpg with the preds without baffles.

I do have a new set of TORs going extremely cheap, if you're interested ;)

Nick

@N1ckel: I might be interested. I'll let you know.

Also, which are the louder, TORS or Togas?

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
@N1ckel: I might be interested. I'll let you know.

Also, which are the louder, TORS or Togas?

No worries :) Togas and Predators are both louder than TORS

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And are there others I should be looking at, as well? I've seen Arrows and Predators mentioned a lot.

I'd like to maintain the peashooter look and ensure compatibility with the center stand.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Thanks for that offer on those mufflers.

As far as gas MPG, the best I ever got was the bike totally stock. After that it went down hill with the airbox removal and the Predators.

What I discovered with the vibration and power band is not my imagination, I checked this out over and over again to make sure I was on the correct track.

One other thing I forgot to mention, I actually experienced a mid range torque power band increase with the baffles.

This back pressure thing is not new to me, I also discovered this years ago with a big twin HD. On that bike, mid range increase with reducer washers was dramatic to say the least.

So what we have all thought for a very long time that we actually have power increase with these after market exhaust was not really the entire story. Most often that increase only found next to the red line. Everything up to that point actually decrease, esepcailly mid range torque, and that the place you spend the most time. The gas increase I don't totally understand, other then less flow or something. But flow rates also have not as much to do with power as I previously thought, especially with torque factors.

I may have open up a can of worms with this. Most of the testing is done on tread mill dyno machines and the bikes are often take all the way to the red line and then people only look at that but not the scale on the way upto that point. It's that mid range that is the place you ride. That's what you need to focus on.

Years ago I had a race bike and my mechanic insisted on reducer washers, and I remember I felt a loss at the higher RPM's, which pissed me off, but then I came to understand I was rolling out of the turns better with those washers in place. I sort of forgot that whole thing over the years. Sometimes you re-learn the things you forget about.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have TORs and a TTP tune. I get the same 50 mpg when driving leisurely (under 60 MPH) as I did "stock" and MPG drops into the mid 40s when riding a lot harder/faster.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like the TORS might be just my thing, then. I want to go a little louder, not a lot.

If I do TORS, what is the recommended corresponding intake change? Filter? Wide-mouth air scoop?

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Sounds like the TORS might be just my thing, then. I want to go a little louder, not a lot.

If I do TORS, what is the recommended corresponding intake change? Filter? Wide-mouth air scoop?
Dealer has a factory tune. Start with that. If you buy the TORS there, tune should be "free". ;) Who is your dealer, BTW?

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Actually I don't think my TORs will fit a 2016

·
Registered
6,142 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
@N1ckel: do you have the Triumph part number for your TORS?

Yeah see pic - I believe good for all carb models and EFI up to vin 380776

·
Registered
192 Posts
So from what I've noticed, while not silencers, after my arrow exhaust was installed, if I rode it normally (conservatively, responsibly, whatever you may call it) I get about the same distance out of as what stock. If there was a change it wasn't enough to be noticeable.

That being said, I'm not one who logs every fill up, every mpg, and all that stuff, because I know people out there do that. I'm the kind of person that I see my fuel light, I see how far I've gone since last time, and then I fill up. Also, I will admit that a new exhaust/silencers may make you want to crack the throttle a little more. I enjoy the sound of the engine singing at higher rpms more now, so when I'm out having a good time, I know I've got to be getting worse fuel economy than what I was before

1 - 20 of 28 Posts