Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had this bike (2005 Bonnie Blk) since 2013 and always assumed this was how every Bonneville with an adjustable clutch lever was. Until I saw someone else’s and I realized this lever is not like the others.

I bit the bullet and bought a OEM adjustable clutch lever (thinking maybe the aftermarket one I had from
NewBonneville.com was not in fact like the real one) it is the exact same! The pivot points, the lengths, the everything. So why doesn’t mine look like everyone else’s?! What am i missing?

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
The levers on my 08 T100 look almost exactly like yours. Except. My levers have the naked aluminum to about 1/2 inch from the adjustment screw for the cables. I know my levers are stock. Maybe yours where changed to aftermarket when the mirrors where changed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The levers on my 08 T100 look almost exactly like yours. Except. My levers have the naked aluminum to about 1/2 inch from the adjustment screw for the cables. I know my levers are stock. Maybe yours where changed to aftermarket when the mirrors where changed.
Hmm thanks Wenzel850. Mine IS is aftermarket lever but it is identical to the factory one that just arrived so there IS no need to replace it. On other bikes I don’t see the aluminum body of the lever sticking out as shown in my 2nd pic. It is a smooth transition from “clamp”(?) assembly to the aluminum lever body. Doesn’t look right! See attached pics of “normal” levers. (Also I switched out my mirrors for bar-ends so no one pulled a fast one on me)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That's exactly what is it @BonnieBlack, that (my) black bracket got taller and the (silver) aluminum "piece" just disappears inside :)
You are right. Maybe the adjustable lever was only ever made for the EFI models? In which case my bike is too old to properly fit the adjustable lever? Hmmm. Anyone with a carbureted Bonnie AND an adjustable clutch lever? Frustrating! But helpful. Thanks guys.

·
Vendor
2,350 Posts
I believe Triumph changed the lever and lever housing around 2005-2006 from the bog standard lever to the adjustable lever. They are not interchangeable. If you want the adjustable lever, you will need to change the lever housing as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are very welcome - but besides the not so sharp looks of your older housing version, yours is still working, no?
Well sidecar, yes it is working for now although every time a triumph rider/mechanic grabs it they say “oh no, that’s not right” but since I don’t know any different it’s hard to say what makes it wrong. Also I’m just a little concerned the pivot points aren’t right which may cause premature wear or kinking of the clutch cable. Although 14000k miles without any trouble so...

My friend with a carb’ed Bonnie, 2007, sent the attached which shows the longer/deeper housing piece which covers the wider adjustable Lever body...so it isn’t a matter of carb vs EFI. Must’ve been a model change between 2005 and 2007 I’m guessing my shorter:shallower housing simply can’t contain the extra width required by the adjustable lever. I doubt adjustable levers were available in 2005.

Anyone with a 2005 or 2006 with an adjustable clutch lever out there?

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe Triumph changed the lever and lever housing around 2005-2006 from the bog standard lever to the adjustable lever. They are not interchangeable. If you want the adjustable lever, you will need to change the lever housing as well.
Ah ha! Here I was replying elsewhere and missed your helpful
and enlightening note. Grrr. Not the news I wanted but at least the world makes a little More sense now. Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well sidecar, yes it is working for now although every time a triumph rider/mechanic grabs it they say “oh no, that’s not right” but since I don’t know any different it’s hard to say what makes it wrong. Also I’m just a little concerned the pivot points aren’t right which may cause premature wear or kinking of the clutch cable. Although 14000k miles without any trouble so...

My friend with a carb’ed Bonnie, 2007, sent the attached which shows the longer/deeper housing piece which covers the wider adjustable Lever body...so it isn’t a matter of carb vs EFI. Must’ve been a model change between 2005 and 2007 I’m guessing my shorter:shallower housing simply can’t contain the extra width required by the adjustable lever. I doubt adjustable levers were available in 2005.
View attachment 716688

Another one with a sidecar :) love it :love: here is my hack in all her glory - sorry had to do that ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very nice! Love that driving light out on the outboard side. Very cool. My friend’s rig is similar. Cozy bullet(?) maybe? similar design to yours headlight and crash bar but don’t think he is the side light. Very nice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks @Phoeff99. Yes, it's a Cozy Bullet sidecar - put mine on about 3 years ago. Sorry again, didn't want to hack your post - good luck with your lever and always keep the shiny side up :cool:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ain’t no biggie. Especially now that PieMan clarified it for me! Is that a Bill
Cosy install? Those windscreens look fantastic. Don’t miss the rain cover though? Such a clean install (and clean bike)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks again. Yep, Bill Cozzi in NJ did it - great job the man did. 👍 Very detailed and very meticulous. Shipped the bike out over the winter (out in November) and got it back I believe in February - perfect time for NOT having a bike in Chicago winters 🥶 Funny, a „Mr. Cozzi„ is doing installs with „Cozy“ Sidecars. I do have a rain cover, but that’s either passenger or cover 😂 try to avoid the rain, but last year DGR in Indy, it poured (!) for abt 10 miles and we all were totally soaked - only my wife was complaining that “the water in the chair was rising“ 🤣

·
Registered
7,380 Posts

View attachment 716688

My 2005 Thruxton 900 had oem adjustable levers. Brake and clutch.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts