Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what this thing is that is circled in Red. I assume it is maybe something to do with emissions? The bike is a 2004 America.

Thanks

Jordan

·
Registered
42 Posts
It is an abomination, the ill begotten off spring of "the Man" and some basement dwelling EPA mope who want to control every aspect of your life. Grab the closest King James available and excercise it, rid your bike of the dreaded thing now, then rejet, repipe, find its slimy cousin, snorkle, living on your airbox and whack it off too. Youll sleep better. It brings cooler, noncombustion chamber air into the exhaust stream to assist in burning unused hydrocarbons before they cause the next ice age, or heat wave , or tonado, or tsunami, or aligator baby or some such nonsense.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bravo

It is an abomination, the ill begotten off spring of "the Man" and some basement dwelling EPA mope who want to control every aspect of your life. Grab the closest King James available and excercise it, rid your bike of the dreaded thing now, then rejet, repipe, find its slimy cousin, snorkle, living on your airbox and whack it off too. Youll sleep better. It brings cooler, noncombustion chamber air into the exhaust stream to assist in burning unused hydrocarbons before they cause the next ice age, or heat wave , or tonado, or tsunami, or aligator baby or some such nonsense.
If I had to hand out awards for posts, this might very well take top honors...well said, well spoken

·
Registered
314 Posts
Amen Brother +1 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
What he said.
Or basicly under the tank is an air pump that pumps cooler air through that pipe into the exhaust outlet thereby increasing exhaust temp. That then burns the unburnt fuel in the exhaust gases reducing emissions to government spec and turns your headers a nice shade of blue. The A I removal kit that is available replaces that tube with a blanking bolt. The space under the tank where the A I pump fits can be used to relocate the horn out of sight.
FI models I believe have cats in the exhaust so this alchemy isn't required.

·
Registered
10,215 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Amen is right!

In the name of all that is good and holy DEMON BE GONE! :AngryFinger:

Triumph puts them on all of their bikes and they are a pain on the carbed units. I left it on my Sprint as it didn't do anything negative but it's off the Bonnie and plugged nice and tight.

·
29,948 Posts
It doesn't do anything performance wise, it just lets fresh air into the exhaust to burn unused gas to meet emissions requirements.

If you do want to do any performance upgrades it will have to go, because then it will make things difficult.

·
29,948 Posts
You're probably right Joe. It's more likely a cheat than a real fix.

Better to get more air into the cylinder at the front end and burn all the gas in there.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
If you want to cut your emission pollutions a bit...keep it in....but it will make your headers run hotter.

Most people pull it out. I've been considering putting mine back in....but I hate blue pipes past the first bend more than I hate pollution...so it may stay in a box in the garage.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I was wondering what this thing is that is circled in Red. I assume it is maybe something to do with emissions? The bike is a 2004 America.

Thanks

Jordan
Haha. It's like watching your kids grow up. I remember my first time.. Aw ...... Son, rip that thing out and don't tell your mother.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts