Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my bike into the shop for a carb jet adjustment and tune up as a result of an exhaust swap.

I was noticing tonight that there's a rubber hose hanging down under the bike, near the left footpeg. It's attached to the bike frame with a loose zip tie (so someone wanted it there). It's just a rubber tube, open on the end, and going up into the carbs or air box somewhere. There's another one, shorter (from the other side of the bike?) that comes out near the clutch side cover.

Are these the snorkels? Does this mean my tech "pulled" them? Also, the one hanging down under the bike had some grease or engine oil on the end that was a little drippy. Does that seem weird? Maybe it was just a secondary transfer from something.

Thanks!

[ This message was edited by: poffypoffa on 2006-11-14 18:48 ]

·
Registered
196 Posts
On my 1970 Honda, the carbs have a drainage tube to prevent them from flooding. There are two hoses that hang underneath the frame.

:???: Same thing on your bike?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
There is an overflow hose from the gas tank. If you open the tank cap, you'll see a raised sort of spigot and it attaches to at the bottom of the tank to an overflow hose that runs down about where you're talking about. For instance, if you fill the bike up with gas, park it in the sun, and the gas expands and overflows, it will drain out that little hose. Best test to see if that's what it is would be to smell it--should smell like gas.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That must be what it is. It didn't quite smell like gas, perhaps, but it was distinctly enginey. Must have just been some gummy, dried gasoline mixed with dirt from the road.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
In addition to the fuel tank drain hose that badrufus identified, there is a larger hose (mine was clear in color) located about the center of the rear-bottom of the engine that connects to the airbox....if I remember correctly, it is kinda closed at the bottom...you can squeeze it and get the contents out...it is for draining the airbox should it get fuel or oil in the airbox....oil is the more common fluid that gets in the airbox--from the crankcase vent hose...when you overfill at oil change time has been reported as the culprit for this occurance.

I haven't had an airbox for 12,000 miles now, so my memory is not too good on that item. :-D

You have one snorkle...it is at the opening (intake) to the airbox...it is about the size of your fist...it is black rubber and is in a 90 degree configuration, i.e., the air comes into the snorkle and the direction of the air is changed 90 degrees by the snorkle. When you remove the snorkle (can be done by grabbing ahold of it and twisting and pulling), the part you don't see when it is installed is about 6--8 inches long if my memory is correct. Removal of the snorkle will probably expose the need to do some jetting and pilot screw adjustment.

Larry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts