Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all.
I have two rolling basket cases that I am planning to use to make one rider. I have to pick between the two frames. The first is a mid-60s Bonnie with a hardtail welded on. I am leaning toward using that frame, unless I learn that this other frame is something special. The friend that I bought these bikes from thinks this was a Harley frame. I'm a total newbie, so I have no idea. Can anyone tell?

The most distinct thing about this frame (to my untrained eye) is the way the top bar comes all the way back to make a Tee into a cross bar.

For the most part, the frame looks like it is unaltered from the way it was originally built, except for the motor mount tabs and the neck. I think the gusset used to have roughly the shape of the red line, until someone cut it out to fit a gas tank.

So... any ideas what this frame is?
Thanks --
-- Jim

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
The frame you have posted a pic of above looks like a home-built fabrication to me. IMHO, it holds no particular historical, engineering or aesthetic connection to the bike. But then, what do I know..?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GrandPaulZ said:
If you are building a chopper, I'd stay with the altered triumph frame if the welds are sound on the rear end clip...
and DeanRider said:
The frame you have posted a pic of above looks like a home-built fabrication to me. IMHO, it holds no particular historical, engineering or aesthetic connection to the bike.
That pretty much confirms the way I was leaning. As I think about it more, even if this frame was something "highly desirable", it's not really what I want. So I am better off to build on the Triumph frame, and sell this one to somebody that likes it.

GrandPaulZ said:
Those fork yokes are mighty raked! That is a GOOD thing, if they are used with an original frame; that way, the frame's original rake can remain unaltered when creating a chopper. I wish more people had used those 'way back when'.
Yes, it's a good idea, but these were not executed well. The offset of the two trees did not match the bends. It took a LOT of prying and pulling and grunting for me to get these bolted back on.

Thanks for the info!
-- Jim

·
Premium Member
9,565 Posts
Looking at the position of the footpegs on that bike, the PO had serious back problems and probably no heels on his boots after a ride.

The frame might look ok with standard teles on it.

The advantage of a standard Triumph frame is that standard components will still fit and you can fit a bolt on hard tail.

Bobbers are more common/popular than radical chops these days if that's the way that you're going. Or "restore' it to either your custom spec or go the whole hog and try to go back to near standard spec.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking at the position of the footpegs on that bike, the PO had serious back problems and probably no heels on his boots after a ride.
The footpegs are only half of the story. It was also set up as a jockey shifter, with a skull mounted on the footshifter, which was cut and turned up - but not extended. Riding that thing had to look like a game of Twister at the Special Olympics.

Both of these bikes are way too far from original for restoration to be feasible. I'm going to build up a bobber on the hardtail Triumph frame.

Thanks --
-- Jim

·
Registered
11,466 Posts
Both of these bikes are way too far from original for restoration to be feasible. I'm going to build up a bobber on the hardtail Triumph frame.
Modern choppers tend to look odd when out of context of the 60's and early 70's. The extended forks, paint jobs, ape hangers, etc. was a way in the 60's - 70's to legally demonstrate a personal dislike to authority, i.e.,"The Man". Although I appreciated and understood them back then, I have yet to see one through the lens of contemporary times that I think looks any good or makes much sense. Well built bobbers on the other hand, have always represented creativity, ingenuity and resourcefulness in the builder, back then and even today. Good luck with your build. ;)

P.S. I still have the dent in the two front tubes in my frame from the same style of chrome twisted highwway bars I rode with in the 70's. Ha!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would go by which frame has good numbers and which one I have or can get a title to. I'm pretty sure the chopper frame would not be numberer and has to much rake. I would also check the rake and trail on both http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/advchoppercalc.html and use that to help me decide. Then strip and check for cracks or bad welds cause you ass is riding on that frame.

But number one, before you put a dime into them is the title issue and Georgia, if I remember correctly requires a police inspection before giving a registration so you better make sure things like VIN numbers are correct and nothing is stolen. You can find the info at your states MVD's web site.

Mutt

·
Registered
80 Posts
Also looking at the pics the backbone of the frame looks bent, that may just be the picture but should be checked. The neck gusset looks to have been added at some point cause it doesn't follow the line of the neck. It may have been added after cracking, cause the whole front end is really out there, so far out the front suspension probably doesn't dampen at that angle and nothing stresses (and cracks) a frame more then a ridgid front end.

So my vote is not for this frame but post some pics of the other.

Mutt

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not the greatest picture, but here's the other frame. Despite the poorly sprayed maroon with the LOUD lime green showing through, the underlying metalwork looks quite good. When I strip it down, I will be sure to check all of the welds thoroughly.

Thanks --
-- Jim

·
Registered
80 Posts
Do what you want but be sure you can get a title or get it registered and have good numbers before you start this project. If the numbers on the frame have been molded over, get them visable and see what you got.

Mutt

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice, jerseymutt. This Triumph frame has a plate on it where it was issued a number as a custom motorcyle, and has a title to match that new number. I will do my homework to make sure I know what the DMV is going to want, and try to get a Georgia title in my name next week.
Thanks --
-- Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts