Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1961 T120 with an 800cc Routts kit from 40 years ago. That required an alloy 9 bolt head. The head that is on there has 1.60 intake valves and 1.35 exhaust valves. It is not in good shape and neither are the cylinders so it is time to have work done. The bike has been in stroage for decades.
Here are my concerns. Is this the proper head for the Routts? The exhaust valves seem small. Should I look for a different head with larger valves? I am in California and there are no local Triumph dealers. I would like someone who knows Vintage Triumphs to look at the head and advise. I also need to have the cylinder rebored. MAP is back ordered on .010 over Routts pistons. The cam is a mild street cam with .355 lift and 283 duration. This is a street bike, not a racing bike. Is the head OK for street use? I see where the T140 went to 1.5" exhaust valves. What should I be thinking about while the top end is apart?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I can't confirm without checking into old records but, it sounds like an early Routt Super Flow head modification, especially since you have Routt barrels. I have a 1966 with 825cc Routt cyls, and fully modified superflow head (bolt holes moved outward) and chamber work. I also have a set of 850 Routt cyls with no lower fins. It has been so long (same 40-45 years) I can't remember all head details. You can probably get an immediate answer by calling Arno St. Dennis at his Fab shop. Arno was Sonny's main shop guy back then and still does bike work. Do a search for Arno St. Dennis or Arno's Machine Service etc. (can't remember exact shop name but it will come up in quick search).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The head is a 63 and there is a 63 stamped inside the intake rocker box cavity between the two valves? I had the head media blasted and then all the casting numbers and flaws becoming evident. Sure is nice to work on a pristine shiney head.
Here is my next question. The intake valves are 1.59-1.60 and the exhausts are 1.34. is that a stock configuration?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts