Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't use my Bonny as much as I should and its been getting progressively harder to start. Today it would only run at idle on full choke and wouldn't rev up. I found both pilot jets were completely clogged with some material so hard you couldn't push a wire thru it. I tried the old trick of boiling in lemon juice, then immersing in lacquer thinner for a couple of hours. Nothing shifts it. Fortunately I had a spare pair of 42s I've been meaning to fit anyway and after that she fired right up. I cannot imagine as an ex chemist what the heck is going in to present day gasoline? From now on I plan to run the carbs dry after every run

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Have you been using crappy "no name" gas for it? I'm a firm believer in using only "premium" brand gasolines in all of my vehicles. Do a thorough cleaning of the carbs & flush out the tank as well, and you should be GTG.

IMO, going on the cheap will only cause bad results farther down the road, so to speak...:D

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
It could have been left over cosmoline that finally dislodged from wherever it was inside your carb.

·
Registered
363 Posts
My mechanic, who is an SAE, says modern gasoline is so volatile it starts to leave deposits in a matter of weeks. If you don't ride much, keep some gas stabilizer in the tank.

To clean out the jets, immerse in vinegar for a day. The hardened varnish will turn to goo.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Gas

Ethanol doesnt help!! I try to use Chevron whenever. Do cleaner 1x/ mo as well. So fAR - SO GOOD? Stay away from the crap stuff if ya can!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
i usually only go sunoco or mobil if i hit reserve away from a sunoco (the sunoco thing is my political preference, as i HEAR theyre american) but no matter where i go i dont put in less than 93 octane, and ive let the Speedy sit all winter with no stabilizer (course, i start her when i can). havent hd any problems thus far.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just went through the same thing, I pulled my stock Pilot jets. Both were almost plugged with black jagged stuff. The main jets I pulled last year were okay. Two years ago I used Stabilizer and this year because bike was being rebuilt due to accident :mad: it was stored in heated show room. I also found large bits of opaque material in one bowl. Not sure what is going on as my Snowblower had the same results. From now on I am draining the gas tanks and running the carbs till dry and then drained. Gas is not the same. The ethanol is drawing in moisture and the composition is not stable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts