Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the purpose of these?

I've searched the forums to no avail...

What is the purpose of the inserts in the snorkel (see 11 & 12 in the diagram)?

What are they supposed to do, and what if they're missing?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
It's my personal opinion but I think that they are pre-filters and/or intake mufflers. I took mine out. The sound at 7,000 rpm is great. I noticed no degradation in performance (using the seat of the pants dyno), the bike still does 131 (gps) with the bags on.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
They are intake silencers. The foam in mine was rotten so I left them out with no ill effect, just more induction roar!

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dyno tests at my local dealer show that (on a standard bike) you lose midrange power if they are removed. This steepens the power curve later in the rev range as the power climbs moire sharply back up to the normal level, so people are fooled into thinking they are getting boosted top end power.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Dyno tests at my local dealer show that (on a standard bike) you lose midrange power if they are removed. This steepens the power curve later in the rev range as the power climbs moire sharply back up to the normal level, so people are fooled into thinking they are getting boosted top end power.
Thanks to you for posting the relevant truth.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The foam was rotted in mine as well. I went to Home depot and bought a filter for a window A/C unit cut it to shape and fitted them back in.

·
Registered
396 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Blimey I wouldn't have thought the foam tube inserts would drop the power.....we are all clear on this one, that it is only the foam inserts that are referred to here...not the snorkles or resinators etc etc ????

I had my Speed Triple Dyno'd without them and there is no noticable dip in the power curve ??

If it really is the case that removing theses sleaves effects mid range power then I'll get it dyno'd with them and see ??

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
In fact, there was a fellow on here very recently that posted a story about how he removed them, noticed the performance loss immediately, and put them back on. I'll try to find his post.

*edit*

Here it is.

http://www.triumphrat.net/t3-sport-touring-forum/98669-remove-all-that-air-filter-tubing-malarky.html
He removed the snorkels as well. He very quickly put them back on.
I didn't notice any loss of power from removing the crappy foam, mid range is still as good as before.

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Blimey I wouldn't have thought the foam tube inserts would drop the power.....we are all clear on this one, that it is only the foam inserts that are referred to here...not the snorkles or resinators etc etc ????
I'm with MotT3 on this, we need to be sure that we're comparing apples to apples and not oranges. The regulars to the forum know that the complete air box with snorkels is important but these sleeves/silencers are a new wrinkle. Warewolf, can you confirm which parts were removed? I personally didn't feel a "boost", or a dip for that matter, but I do enjoy the additional euphony.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Has anyone had a chance to do any testing on this yet? I was cleaning/tinkering with the bike today and pull them out. The foam crumbled in my hands so I cleaned the snorkles and put them back in.

I had a glance at the air cleaner while I was down there and it looked pretty black. I didn't want to start pulling that apart today. Has any one got any experience with cleaning the standard air cleaner? I did a search but no result.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Its a paper element I think, probably won't stand washing real well.

Most people go for K & N which is serviceable. Anyway, its a pain in the butt to do as carbs have to come off etc.

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
The element is foam and they clean up fine. Just wash, dry and re-oil. Be careful with the airbox, they really weren't designed to be reused and they crack easily so don't over tighten the screws.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Be careful with the airbox, they really weren't designed to be reused and they crack easily so don't over tighten the screws.
I found this to be the case with the original airbox plastic on both mine, and both had cracked-off outer threads. But I'd picked up a couple newer replacement filters with airboxes for a few bucks, newer being identified by two larger screws vs one each outer side. They seem to me a much sturdier plastic construction.

If you have a cracked or deformed airbox it may be worth searching for the later version sturdy airbox and get a free filter in the deal vs a K&N.

And also perform a little surgury to neatly split the back half of the airbox at the backbone and never pull the carbs again for a filter change or airbox removal. Also makes pulling the carbs a breeze.

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also tripped across this again in the old FAQ:

6.1.3.1. Are the airbox baffles superflouous? Shouldn't I just take them out to let the engine breathe better?

More from John Fitzwater ([email protected])

You may have read various experts telling you to remove the air intake extensions and the noise absorption baffles... Our dyno says leave them in. Unless you have a Dynojet kit that allows you to dramatically richen the midrange, you'll lose heaps everywhere.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts