Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I am a relatively new Triumph Bonneville owner. I bough my first bike a 2002 Bonnie in December. I was planning on adding a Chatterbox wired directly to the battery when one of the guys at a local motorcycle parts store told me that the Triumph's can't handle the extra load of all the accessories. Is this true? The guy who told me this rides a Triple and I am not sure if that makes a difference?

I am planning on doing a 2 week trip and I would love to have the opportunity to talk to my buddy without haveing to stop to find places to charge the chatterbox each night.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Not sure what the alternator output is, but the output at idle is crap. It basically doesn't charge at all. At 1500+ RPM, you'll get enough to run some stuff and not suck the life out of the battery. Its not the alternator's fault though - its the rectifier/regulator. Stock, I measured 12.5v at idle and 13.5 at 1500+ RPM. I now get 13.5v at idle and 14.6 at 1500+ RPM using a Yamaha rectifier (FH012AA). The rectifier is also used on the Kawasaki Concours. I bought one for $50 on ebay.

The threads are here and here.

·
30,533 Posts
It's not just a question of the battery, but also of the capability of the charging system of the bike.

I was about to do some explanation but pokeyjoe beat me to it! :D

The charging circuit does have the capacity to handle extra items, and powering the chatterbox off the bike while riding will be fine.

It just won't charge at idle.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow... that is very interesting. I had no idea. I've read some things about swapping out the rectifiers, but until now I was not sure why folks did it?

So I guess I am ok to proceed; however, I may look into upgrading the rectifiler to get the extra output. Granted I do more riding than idleing and my bike is set about 1200rpm idle. Off the top of my head I do not know the draw of the Chatterbox.

Thank you both. Your input has been very valuable.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
You just adding a chatterbox then you dont have anything to worry about. Its when you have heated clothing, a gps and xm sat rad all going at once that you have to start to worry.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
You may want to do the math on this one ....

I'm going to use Pokeyjoe's voltage output in this formula to arrive at the Triumph's alternator in watts. w=va, or watts = volts x amps. or w = 12.5v x 27a = 337 watts. Now, I don't know at what rpm the alternator puts out this wattage, but I'd guess at highway speed .... traveling, not in town starting and stopping.

I'm going thru this math to arrive at watts to give you a comparison with my older BMW R100GS, which has a max alternator output of 280 watts. On that bike, I often ride with heated grips on 'hi', and with an electcic vest that draws approx 40 watts.

The significant difference in the two bikes' electrical systems is that the Beemer uses a 20amp hour battery (bigger electrical 'reservoir' than the Triumph). But all that means is that the Beemer could putt around town longer without discharging the battery.

I've added Triumph's 12v outlet to my T100 to power a 40W electric vest, and installed electric grip heaters drawing approx 25W. I've run this same config on the Beemer for years, and I've always gotten home.

However, a lot of the old airhead BMW riders do keep their bikes plugged into a Battery Tender, or similar, to assure that the battery is always at peak when they leave home. I've begun doing that with the T100 when the fall temps call for heated grips and vest.

Hope this helps.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts