Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I've been looking for a modern Bonneville, perhaps even a project bike, and ran across a T214 model. It's a T100 and it has decals on it to commemorate the Bonnie doing 214 mph at the Bonneville Salt Flats back in the day. I'm familiar with that part of history, but didn't know it became a model.

Does anyone know... is this just a regular Bonnie with a few splashy decals applied to it? The seller seems to think it "very special". But, I'm not so sure.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
924 Posts
In theory it should be worth more if left intact. It depends on what you paid for it. If you paid a premium because it’s a Special Edition you’d be pretty silly to mess with it. If you got it for the ‘normal’ price it really just boils down to personal preference. Your bike; do what you like with it. It most likely won’t become a highly sought after collectable in any case. But you never know.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Staggering to think that Triumph got a 650, admittedly tucked inside a cigar shaped missile, in 1956 to travel at 214 mph. That’s 345 km/h. In 1956. Impressive.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm kind of new at getting parts for "modern" Triumphs. Can you guys tell me where a good place/dealer/etc., is to get new replacement mufflers, turn-signals, parts?

Thank you,
Steve

·
Driftless Admin
11,488 Posts
I ran into a guy with a T214 a while back. He carried magazines in cellophane in his saddlebags about the speed record. He was very into the whole thing and eager to talk about it.

But it the end the bike itself is just another Bonnie with a different paint job, and I believe a number up by the handlebars indicating the bike number. But same engine, same components, same plastic tank badges.

I don't think any special edition or anniversary editions of the Hinckley AC Bonnies have really garnered a higher price. Kinda cool to have I suppose, but hard to believe they'd be collectors items. IMO.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have one myself. It is a "T-100 Black" with small differences: a shorter rear fender, the small headlight (from the Scrambler model) and ignition location, unique paint scheme (Caspian Blue and Pure White) and seat upholstery, and the above mentioned numbered handlebar clamp - I believe 1000 were made?

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Staggering to think that Triumph got a 650, admittedly tucked inside a cigar shaped missile, in 1956 to travel at 214 mph. That’s 345 km/h. In 1956. Impressive.
Triumph Detroit Bob Leppan in the Gyronaut. My brother bought a Daytona in 68 from them. I saw it once at the British Motorcycle Museum.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have #60 out of 1000 and I totally made it my own. FEK kit, new pipes, shocks, seat, etc. Kept all of the stock parts so someone can put it back to original if they want but for me, it's a daily rider and not something pretty to just look at.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts