Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come across a 1968 Bonneville that I am considering purchasing. By description and pictures it is in pretty much original condition with 19,000 miles. It is being offered for sale reluctantly by the 2nd owner for an asking price of $9,500.00. I am going to try and take a look at this weekend so I'm
asking if anyone has perhaps purchased or sold a vintage Bonnie recently to get some pricing information...any help would be greatly appreciated. Either post or PM...Thanks in advance.

Bob

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Well, for that kind of money it had better be a 100 point bike. The question I'm asking is what will you be using it for? Personally I can't see paying that kind of money unless I was really young, bucks up, and was going to hold it till the thing was worth a ton of money. In other words like more of an investment instead of a regular bike purchase. Usually any bike is worth exactly what the buyer will pay for it and the seller will let it go for.

But I'm a cheap bastard and would not pay a dime for any bike that I don't consider to be a daily driver. In other words I'm not a collector. Tried it a couple of times and it wasn't for me.

FWIW there's a poster out there who just bought a 1 owner 68 for $2500. It was pretty dirty and grimy, but a runner and had a local mechanic that worked on the thing. One thing you might ask the seller is who's worked on it?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Milage is a factor on these machines,a 68 is one of the desirable models,it is a ''design'' high point for Triumph where they melded earlier models with a quality control unheard of in the past..a Triumph of this period like a BSA OF 66-68 era are a true motorcycle expience,my advice..stick it in yer shed J.B.:)

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I fully understand Kirkus51 the concept of "offer and acceptance" on a trasnsaction involving the exchange of money for goods or services. I am simply trying to establish what would be "fair market value" for a Triumph Bonneville in the 1966-1969 range with condition and originallity being a major factor. That is why I posted here to inquire if anyone has bought or sold a vintage Triumph recently. I had a 1969 Bonneville back in 1969 and currently I have a 2010...a wonderful ride and I am very happy. I would in addition really enjoy have a nice vintage Bonnie to ride around town occassionally for my personal enjoyment. If I had an opportunity to purchase one at a fair price I would like to pick one up....I appreciate your view as well JohnnyBlack...it would be parked for the most part but if I owned a true classic I would also like to take her out on the streets as well...

Hopefully there are individuals here that will be able to help me establish a "fair market value" so if and when I run across a a Bonnie in my target range I will be an educated buyer...

Bob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bob, I'm doing a restoration on a 67 Bonne. I'm returning it to stock although I have my moments of wanting to "bob" it. I've seen Bonne's in the 66-68 years going well into the $9,000 range. These are usually numbers matching bikes in original/excellent condition. I'm not doing mine as an investment. I just like old Triumphs. They are expensive to restore so assume if someone did the work and replaced a number of parts money was spent. The one you are looking at as you said is original. If you want an early Triumph and you have the bucks, go for it. There aren't that many left and they are a piece of motorcycle history. It's only original once so it sounds like a great find. Dan

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
The place to ask is in the in the "Classic and Vintage" section where several people buy and sell these bikes on a regular basis.
However, even from the UK where prices are normally significantly higher, this bike would not seem cheap. It is the kind of price you would expect to pay for a very well restored bike with matching nos etc. From what I know of the US market, an original unrestored bike in reasonable condition would sell for $4000- 5000.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bob, I'm doing a restoration on a 67 Bonne. I'm returning it to stock although I have my moments of wanting to "bob" it. I've seen Bonne's in the 66-68 years going well into the $9,000 range. These are usually numbers matching bikes in original/excellent condition. I'm not doing mine as an investment. I just like old Triumphs. They are expensive to restore so assume if someone did the work and replaced a number of parts money was spent. The one you are looking at as you said is original. If you want an early Triumph and you have the bucks, go for it. There aren't that many left and they are a piece of motorcycle history. It's only original once so it sounds like a great find. Dan
Dan...I understand your points about validating the price based on the conditions you referenced. This particular bike is with the 2nd owner and by description and pictures it is original and parts like the exhausts were replaced with original old stock...The seller did mention it was a "numbers matching" 1968 Bonneville as well. you are correct that there are not many original Bonnies out there. I have run across many that were taken well beyond original stock and I'm not interested in going that direction. I also don't want a project Bonnie either so I understand I will be in the top tier of the market to find one that is in nice condition...I'm not in a rush and I will know when the right one comes along....

Bob

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
My 68

I just sold the 68 Bonneville below for $5500.00. I know the gentleman who bought it will probably offer it up for resale eventually. I considered it a fair price for us both since he also purchased two vintage Honda's from me at the same time. The bike had been converted to a five speed transmission but did have matching numbers. I had owned the bike for 12 years having bought it for $3000.00 and having put that and more in it with rebuilds,paint, and assorted upgrades over the years. It was clean, neat, and ran very well. Hope this helps in your search and look around you can still find a decent Bonny in the 5 to 6 thousand range.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
GBC that was a bargain - prices seem lower in the States.
My 'new' Norton was £9000 - a fully reconditioned bike with elec ignition, loads of new parts, stainless blah blah - I ride it hard and often. It has 3000 miles in 9 months and stone chips. The best bit, such as today, is passing Harleys that for some reason gravitate to the slow lane and look rather lame, particularly when overtaken by a piece of vintage machinery howling along at 80mph.
So, worry less about the price unless you are obsessed by every last penny, and think more about how you are going to use it to enrich your life.
And whatever you do, dont follow the advice being offered of sticking it in the garage.
That is a waste of time money and a damn good bike.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just sold the 68 Bonneville below for $5500.00. I know the gentleman who bought it will probably offer it up for resale eventually. I considered it a fair price for us both since he also purchased two vintage Honda's from me at the same time. The bike had been converted to a five speed transmission but did have matching numbers. I had owned the bike for 12 years having bought it for $3000.00 and having put that and more in it with rebuilds,paint, and assorted upgrades over the years. It was clean, neat, and ran very well. Hope this helps in your search and look around you can still find a decent Bonny in the 5 to 6 thousand range.

Thanks for the info GBC...you sold a very nice 68 Bonnie at a very affordable price. I hope I will do as well if I find one as clean as yours. I'm going out to look at this 68 Bonneville this week with my buddy who has a 1966 Bonneville he restored...he has a lot more money in his restoration than what this guy is asking for his 68...I'm not going out to negotiate...I'm only going to be kicking the tires this trip. I want to get a feel for how motivated a seller he is.... game on...hahaha

Bob

·
Super Moderator
12,577 Posts
A complete restoration will often run into five figures. Getting that much back out of it when selling, is not easy.

Today's economy is producing the best buyer's market I've ever seen. There are still a couple of unbelievably good deals right here in the "For Sale" sticky thread.

A 68 Bonnie for anywhere near $9,000 should be very nearly perfect (in this economy). You can always check e-bay COMPLETED SALES and get a little bit better idea what they've gone for recently.

·
Registered
727 Posts
From what I know of the US market, an original unrestored bike in reasonable condition would sell for $4000- 5000.
epynt1050 is right in there. Based on what I've seen, and I watch the Triumphs on Craigs List every day, nice bikes with reasonable mileage are right in that price range. I see some asking prices a little higher. There's a 67 bonnie in our area that's advertised as perfectly restored, zero mileage, for $9,500.

GPZ is right about it being a buyer's market, just take your time and the right bike at a good price will come along. The asking price for the one you're going to see seems awfully high based on what I've seen.

Good luck.
Ron

·
Super Moderator
12,577 Posts
GPZ is right about it being a buyer's market, just take your time and the right bike at a good price will come along. The asking price for the one you're going to see seems awfully high based on what I've seen.
I'm not saying it's "awfully high", but it has to be very nearly perfect (looking AND running, with paperwork) to fetch that much.

·
Registered
767 Posts
GBC - Thats a bargain for a great bike like that. Just wondering, the ignition key is in the side panel. On my 68 (and i beleive all 68s) its in the side of the headlamp. Did you move it?
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
GBC - Thats a bargain for a great bike like that. Just wondering, the ignition key is in the side panel. On my 68 (and i beleive all 68s) its in the side of the headlamp. Did you move it?
Cheers!
Kev,

Nope, it was in the side panel when I bought it years ago. Looked like a factory install and there were no extra holes in the headlamp bucket.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts