Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pictured is the underside of one of my carb covers. The arrow points to what looks like a dot of some type of adhesive or rubber. The same dot of 'stuff' is on the other cover as well.

I'm going to be powder coating the carb cover and baking it in an oven. My question is; can this dot burn off without consequence or should I not put the cover in the oven? Anyone know what this stuff is? It will most definitely melt off once in the over but i can not figure out what it is for. It does not seem to be holding anything together.

Thanks for any ideas.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
Are you sure that's not a metal rivet?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the drop of goop is covering the metal rivet. I have no idea what the goop could be for. But why would it be there if for no purpose?

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
I think your safe. Even if the oven gets hot enough to melt it you can probably just retouch it with touch up paint. I think that just keeps the underside of the rivet from corroding.

·
Registered
964 Posts
That drop of goop is a sealant for the metal rivet. It prevents any vacuum leakage; however remote the possibility. The space under the cap (when assembled) is a vacuum chamber and causes the slide (attached to a rubber diaphragm) to rise as the pressure drops in the venturi of the carb. You could remove it before powder coating and replace it with a dab of silicone or epoxy after the parts are baked. .........James.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. I'll go forward with the painting, always better to be safe than sorry with these things.

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
That drop of goop is a sealant for the metal rivet. It prevents any vacuum leakage; however remote the possibility. The space under the cap (when assembled) is a vacuum chamber and causes the slide (attached to a rubber diaphragm) to rise as the pressure drops in the venturi of the carb. You could remove it before powder coating and replace it with a dab of silicone or epoxy after the parts are baked. .........James.
I learned something today! Great explanation, and makes perfect sense.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts