Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well tough luck!

Because, although you can take the strap down easily enough, you are left with this ugly discoloration caused by the cheap rubber they use on the bottom of the strap.
Can't be washed, can't be buffed out.

Thanks Triumph.....

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
Well tough luck!

Because, although you can take the strap down easily enough, you are left with this ugly discoloration caused by the cheap rubber they use on the bottom of the strap.
Can't be washed, can't be buffed out.

Thanks Triumph.....
So sorry mate.
That's definitely a thing you should bring up in the "Bitching about the new Thruxton" thread.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I suggest that you take the bike to an automotive paint supply store and ask them to look at it.
They may have a product that will remove the stain as is probably in the clear coat only

·
Registered
298 Posts
I suggest that you take the bike to an automotive paint supply store and ask them to look at it.
They may have a product that will remove the stain as is probably in the clear coat only
I agree with this view, find it difficult to believe that it has gone through the clear coat into the base coat.

Looks strangle good though.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Excellent opportunity to have the two red parts of your bike (tank/cowl) painted the color you want. I can't imagine it's Triumph's fault - the problem you're having would happen to any manufacturer that covers the paint with an accessory. Pull some trim off a one year old car - what's under there?

One good scratch and I'm off to the auto paint shop for some color I like even better than the 'Ford red' the bike came with.

While you're at the automotive paint supply store suggested by @drlapotake a look at all glorious metallic and flake/sparkle paints you could have on your bike (if they don't have something to fix your problem) - please let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but has anyone figured out how to remove the discoloration? I just took the strap off on mine (looks way better without!) and I have a yellowish brown discoloration, but it’s really subtle. It’s seems to be residue from an adhesive. My strap was lightly glued to the tank, at least it seemed like it. Had to yank hard to get it off. Tried to wash it off with Muc-Off but that did nothing.

·
Registered
811 Posts
No such problem here. Soon after i bought the bike i got a different tank strap, larger holes and more of a brown leather to match my seat cover. My color is silver ice, there was no adhesive on the stock strap and no discoloring. Perhaps red is more susceptible to hazing or it was on longer than my std strap.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but has anyone figured out how to remove the discoloration? I just took the strap off on mine (looks way better without!) and I have a yellowish brown discoloration, but it’s really subtle. It’s seems to be residue from an adhesive. My strap was lightly glued to the tank, at least it seemed like it. Had to yank hard to get it off. Tried to wash it off with Muc-Off but that did nothing.

I took the tank strap off my silver ice as well. I figured the strap installed during production on a freshly painted tank wasn't great for the clearcoat. Mine was stained and dimpled from the rubber gasket. Paint correction fixed the dimpled clearcoat, but the stain is too deep to remove. I think if it was removed early enough it might not have leached the oils from the rubber, but after 3 years on my 2016, no such luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A proper detail artist can get rid of that discoloration with certain buffing compounds IF Triumph didn't install the strap too soon after the clear was applied.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts