Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

No, not that Vanishing Point (one of the all-time greats, heard the remake sucked).

This vanishing point:

Where the sides of the road seem to come together. The idea is that you ride toward the vanishing point and if it is seems to remain at a steady distance, you're going the right speed for the corner. If it's approaching, you're going too fast. If it seems to be getting farther away, you're too slow.

Now, I've ridden a long time an' most o' my learnin' has been trial-and-occasional-error. I've read plenty about entrance and apex and exit and lines through a corner, but it wasn't until pokin' around on the web that this whole "vanishing point" thing came up. Seems to be more of a European thing and a staple of rider training in the U.K., so maybe MSF teaches the same idea with a different name. I dunno. I just find it interesting.

Learn somethin' new every day an' all. Anyone here actually use this technique?

[ This message was edited by: R100Pilot on 2006-12-07 13:43 ]

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I thought you rode ya bike over a cliff for a moment :-D

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I've read about it a while back, but most of my attention is watching out for pot holes craters and diesel spills rather than vanishing points. Bad roads.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I use the technique of "if it feels like I'm going to crash I slow down." When riding my triple I don't feel the need to whip out my calculator and determine the gravitational force the moon is pulling on me with respect to Jupiter divided by the volume of water in the Great Lakes.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
I've read about it a while back, but most of my attention is watching out for pot holes craters and diesel spills rather than vanishing points. Bad roads.
. . . and those insufferable tar snakes.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
On 2006-12-07 19:50, Catenaccio wrote:
. . . and those insufferable tar snakes.
We don't have those 'cause they hardly ever bother to maintain the roads. My biggest gripe at the moment are overfilled (to save an extra trip) cement bowsers spilling concrete all over the place and which nobody ever bothers to remove. OUch!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have actually used this method a few times and it seems to work wonderfully. Although you have to stare pretty hard at the vanishing point sometimes to tell where or if it is moving which robs you of all of your attention. I haven't made up my mind about it yet.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
On 2006-12-07 13:42, R100Pilot wrote:

No, not that Vanishing Point (one of the all-time greats, heard the remake sucked).
+1!!

On 2006-12-07 13:42, R100Pilot wrote:

This vanishing point:

Where the sides of the road seem to come together. The idea is that you ride toward the vanishing point and if it is seems to remain at a steady distance, you're going the right speed for the corner. If it's approaching, you're going too fast. If it seems to be getting farther away, you're too slow.
Makes sense. Seems to address varying radius corners. Thanks for tracking that down.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Best article I found so far is this:

Cornering, vanishing point, etc.

And yeah, one of the advantages is that it works for any radius or changing radius curve.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts