Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1501 - 1517 of 1517 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
My 94' Trident 750 passed 80000kms today. I love this bike:ride

Yes, I know. The speedo is from a Daytona. My Trident is a blend of Trident, Sprint and Daytona:)
cheers

·
Registered
664 Posts
Did you hone those with a hedgehog?

You of course know the centre liner is a larger (or maybe smaller I can't remember) diameter than the two either side?

The bolt-hole/threaded recesses can be cleaned out with baby-buds and the bolts threaded in/cleaned and repeated several times so when you drop the bolts in to secure the head (with a wipe on/off of oil on them) they will turn and seat and tighten correctly.

But I think you knew all that ;)

When I replaced the rings on mine I found a previous owner/workshop had spun no.1 rod and piston 180 degrees so the oil control holes and valve cut-outs were counter to the manual (common sense/logic). No.1 piston is now correctly aligned but the con-rod is as found and has been OK for the past 10k miles. And I re-used the gudgeon in retaining clips... :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
No Hedgehogs were harmed in the honing of the liners....oiled fine grade emery paper was recommended....have used the cotton buds to remove all water and most crap fro the bolt holes will use the clean old bolts to sink into the threads after I have given them a good blast out with an air line..the new bolts come already oiled to torque up ;-)...I numbered the liners as they came out...final check over of the pistons to go in and install rings pins and clips today hopefully....have Blue Holymer to seal the liners but Ihave read that RTV was recommended for later bikes and it looks like black RTV that was used before ? waddya reckon

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Yes, the new recommendation is "RTV" and Hylomar is no longer recommended. I used Permatex Ultra Black on the liners in my old RS and probably got 20,000 miles on with no related problems before it got stolen.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
664 Posts
Perhaps I should update my reading list - my Triumph manual (issue 8) says Hylomar Blue. I've had no issue with it - it's a great product that I also use in my hair. I've just read a bit about RTV Silicone - sounds great - so if that's the current recommendation then go with that, but do bear in mind that Hylomar Blue may make your bike less valuable than RTV silicone and therefore less attractive to bike thieves :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Crap, now I have to hide the ultra black that I used yesterday.

Btw Mott. Which bike are you working on? My sprints water jacket looked completely different.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Speed triple Bob ;-) I used HYlomer as that is what I had...Mr T3 also recommended it !..she is alive fired up today...idles nice, ran up to temp teweaked a small leak from a hose and leaving to cool down to top up with coolant...going to run it for a few hundred miles and then drop the oil..but so far so good...but blimey tis a mamouth spannering sesh to get that box ticked !!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I swapped out the Trident / Sprint exhausts for a pair of Reverse Cone Megaphones. Sounds awesome, but I need to source some baffles before the Guards/Neighbours come knocking :p

I'm putting together a video now of the before/during/after, will shortly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think there's an issue with the petcock leaking air that's confusing things at the moment (I generally have to leave it in Prime), but other than that she runs fine.

I'd have to resolve the tap issue first and then do a side-by-side test to give you a definitive answer but it doesn't feel like I'm missing any grunt when moving.

On the plus side, I don't get as many cars or pedestrians trying to cross my path anymore and I've been told by "sources" that I can be heard up to half a click or more away when wound up ;-)

·
Registered
475 Posts
I think there's an issue with the petcock leaking air that's confusing things at the moment (I generally have to leave it in Prime),

Hi Estuans, have you checked that your tap selector is not just spinning on the shaft. When I bought my Daytona this is how mine was. Nearly left me high and dry coming back to Co.Clare from Montrose in Scotland. Anyway I have switched to a Pingle now so if you need another fuel tap let me know.
Sean.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Wow, this thread sure got stale. This is not today, but last week I rode my T3 every day and loved every minute of it. It's a '98 Sprint Sport and is running great after the spring tune up. Love spring weather in Northern Va. 60's int eh morning and high 70's in the afternoon. Couldn't ask for better motorcycle weather. Looks like another great week for riding coming up. Hard to point the motorcycle towards work some days. At least my neurotic and erratic boss is on the other coast so I only have to endure about 5 hours of overlap time.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Thread revival. I installed a Pingel fuel tap and new fuel lines - the plastic dial on the oem unit crumbled around the tap shaft and left me pushing to next petrol station when I needed to use reserve. It did this to me about 10 years ago and I replaced the tap - never again. While in there I also modded the airbox for easier air filter servicing, using information found on this site.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yesterday I cleaned up and repainted the camshaft cover. Today I’ll be replacing all the bearings in the rear suspension...

1501 - 1517 of 1517 Posts