Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1517 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've stolen this idea from the Hinkley Classic Triples forum where I've enjoyed reading it and picked up a few good tips. It's a place where we can post updates on modifications, rides, servicing, anything we do with our bikes, and if we all get behind it it should stay near the top of the threads and encourage more to get involved.

On that note I should start.

After my recent spark plug unscrewing issues I fitted a new set of plugs. To do the job I bought a new 18mm plug socket from Hazet Tools. This is a real slim socket which fits real neat allowing a positive feel on the plug so I hope they will be ok now.
On firing the bike up, it wouldn't run well and stalled whenever I used the throttle. I thought it was the vacuum line on the back of the fuel tap kinked when I refitted the tank and was right.
With that sorted I took the old girl for a ride up the old highway and all felt good. I'm happy with the feel of the recently fitted Metzler Sportec tyres and loving the sound of the Trident Exhaust mufflers.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Started stripping the bike to install suspension and braking bits.

New 1.0kg springs, Hagon rear shock, and Tokico calipers.

I'll have it done later today...yay

·
Registered
244 Posts
Finishing up chain/sprocket replacement and just need to reinstall all of those bits that get in the way.

I used an AFRAM front, JT rear and DID chain at about $200. I decided to increase the rear from 43 teeth to a 45, so I also upped the links from 110 to 112, which worked out well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Rode my '98 Sprint Sport to the office for the first time this season. Makes going to work tolerable. After the valve adjustment, it starts faster than I can ever remember. Forks rebuilt last year, new tires last year. Was a great ride, can't wait to ride on a longer trip away from the office.

·
Registered
826 Posts
not done anything today, but yesterday i ordered a full set of seals and pistons to overhaul my nissin 4 pots.they are 18 years old now, and have never been changed, so im expecting a positive experience when i get them kitted out with new pistons and seals, coupled with new disks, pads and brake fluid!

do you think it would be worth doing the master cylinder seals too?

also gonna get my new tyres ordered asap, then i can start the cosmetic overhaul!

·
Registered
250 Posts
New rear caliper, pads and braided line fitted to the Trident. No more binding rear brake:)
Also learned to inspect fully before jumping in and ordering parts. When I took the caliper off I could see the pistons were pitted, so ordered new ones. When i went got them out to put the new nes in there was a great big step in one of the bores, so I had to get the whole new caliper!
At least as its a Trident I can use the pistons on the front!

·
Registered
422 Posts
daytona, I would do the master cyclinders too. After all, you've got it all apart anyway and the new seals at the bottom may give the old seals at the top a rough time. IMHO.

Zip

·
Registered
61 Posts
Pulling the carbs out again today. Just found out I have one carby with a different size spring :brick: I will change emulsion tubes as well.

·
Registered
826 Posts
picked up my caliper seals and pistons for my nissin 4 pots yesterday! £160 GBP

for any one who is interested, they came from the "high level" catalogue(which most uk bike shops have) the part numbers are 283023 for the small piston and its seals and 283423 for the large piston and its seals.
still to confirm that they are the correct parts, as i wont know until i start stripping my calipers down

·
Registered
46 Posts
Got the S3 relicenced today! New plates have been given to me and officially, I can ride her where I want... given that the bike has no front brakes, headlight or fairings I might wait a bit, but still the legalities are in order. Only took two tries as well! First effort was thwarted when after waiting in line for 30 minutes the power went out due to a severe storm in the area. Particular kudos to the staff at the licencing centre who then threw every customer in the place out of the building and into the storm because of their "policy in case of power outage".

Had to wait out in the rain until it eased up enough for decent visibility... then after riding back I get asked what I was doing out in the rain. After explaining the situation with the bike licence, to quote the GF "*humph* You've never waited in the rain for me..." Somehow they always know just what to say...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New AGM battery

The old battery wasn't doing so well, if I needed to crank the S3 over for more than a few seconds it ran dead and that's even after keeping it on the trickle charger.
A mate had a warranty credit on a car battery he didn't need so we did a deal and today I fitted a Deka AGM battery. WOW! She's never cranked over so fast and it seems to fire as soon as it cranks. Best of all it didn't cost me any where near the reatil price.:D

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Took the wheels off the Speed Triple to get some new rubber put on....phoned the shop...alas they were too busy with MOT's all day to fit them, now booked in for next Saturday..! gonna fit some more Road Attacks. Bit of a bugger though I was all geared up to play on some new boots..;-/

T console myself I took the Sprint shopping...had a lovely ride on the big comfy old bus, low pegs, high bars, a screen...! truly pampered.

Was a bonus that I had on board possibly the best pillion ever...swooping through the country side, late braking, banging through the gears...no screaming or punching just at one with the bike....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tail of the Dragon

Just got back from a trip to Deal's Gap with some friends. Luck me that even though it was raining in Gattlinberg once we got over the foothills pkwy it dried up for us.

rode with:
buell xb12s lightning
zx-14 r
ninja 636
yzf r6

video on you tube from the zx14 but unfortunately he was out front.
he scraped his peg on a right hander though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
'95 Triumph sprint.

Having owned my Sprint since late last year i've been itching to go on a proper big ride, my chance has come this weekend as there is a big ride out with the SV1000 site of which I am a member.

My SV is in desperate need of a chain/sprokets and rear tyre so I can't use that and my triumph has just had new tyres and is all ready to go.

It's a 250 mile trip to the start point from mine so it's set the alarm for 3.30am to get there for 8.30 am, then a 160 + mile rideout before a bit of exploring on my own in the evening.

Next day will be a trip to the Ace Cafe' in london where i'm meeting some SV friends for lunch before taking the long backroad way home.

Should cover about 800 miles this weekend, I'll give a report next week on how it all went.

·
Registered
92 Posts
not today but last sunday did a trackday at cadwell, well happy, miss matched touring tyres and knackered suspenion make for fun times.

and tomorrow im off to the alps.

1 - 20 of 1517 Posts