Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

What I did with my classic Triumph today?

1M views 11K replies 417 participants last post by  newsh 
#1 · (Edited)
As a Hinkley triple owner (don't hate me guys!) I sometimes also read the threads on that section of the Triumph Rat forum and they have a long running thread "what I did to my classic triple today" or something very similar. Posters put up a few lines about what they did with their 'bikes that day..... polished it, rode it, rebuilt it, crashed it, etc etc you get the idea, anything goes really.

Anyway, thought it might be worth starting a similar thread here as I'm selling the "modern" 'bike and concentrating on my classics.
I'll start it off....

Today I got back my speedo which I'd sent to the UK for repair. It was working but had a lot of needle "flutter". Looks like new (still) and can't wait to try it out....

OK who's next?

Richard

#1,113 · (Edited)
I added new stacks to the carb's, and not cheapo specials.

The horn on the stack on the inside perfectly matches the carb throat, these are custom in I ask to have them an inch longer then there stock stacks, my engine is built, so I'm far more interested in the performance aspect, and want the air entering the actual carb itself smooth - more efficient = more horses.
AND - they freaking look great.

#1,114 · (Edited)
Fri/Sat-Did a lap of the TT course , stopped off at Douglas and had a walk round the paddock , had an ice cream in Peel harbour , met some mates at the the Creek Inn , pint at the Ginger Hall Hotel , watched some Manx GP racing . Saw hundreds of old Brits on the road.:D

Attachments

#1,115 ·
a cam try

I cobbled up a sort of chest cam this morning. still have a few bugs to work out but I had some fun and thought I'd share..

I needed a sun glass to cut the glare from all the shiny bits.

Good thing it's not a belly cam :eek:

The dirt twistys were making the cam bounce too much - another bug to work out.

watch a small clip of almost two Gb. I got before my camera closed down.

#1,116 ·
RED LETTER DAY!!! Finally got some riding time...lots of roadblocks this last few months..work..travel...ugly weather...but finally got it all together. thanks to Plewsy and Mike's help--- I took my Bonnie for a beautiful ride this morning and for the first time EVER got all 4 gears ....the plunger set up is great, the shift is easy....Great feeling. Even my rebuilt tach and speedo are perfect....finally feel that it my project is coming together. Have a little power flattening out in mid range, (using PWK carbs, maybe some jetting adjust) but in general she purrs along nicely and just settles in at about 60 mph smooth and steady. This Monday (in 3 days) it will be 3 years to day from buying the pile of parts she sprang from.

#1,120 ·
Last night rode the '59 to a local shop.
Guy in a pickup parked beside me.
"Is that an original or one of those modern remakes?... "
(takes a closer look)
"No, it's the real deal all right. Monobloc... Ah, slick shift! Thunderbird? Nice bike. Thought it might be one of them Kawasakis."
Nice to see someone who knows what he's looking at.

#1,123 · (Edited)
Conclave 2012

I rode 55 miles of back roads to the British Conclave in Arvada. I had a long discussion with a TR6C owner on where to find exhaust heat shields for my 73 TR7 with high level pipes. $100 each and I need 2--ouch. It was a great day for conversations about: 29 Rolls-Royce "doctors car" being able to get down the roads of the day in all conditions, 1951 Jaguars overheating, Sunbeam Tiger spark plugs, BSA single carb vs dual carb, etc.
At our monthly club meeting, 8 of the guys had just returned from Sturgis, where they met the Cannonball Rally http://www.motorcyclecannonball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=255&Itemid=53 during a rest day. They bought me a t-shirt form the 1925 500 Triumph to support the approx $15,000 cost of the ride. He remarked that his Triumph was designed to go from town-to-town in the English countryside; not across the US. One rider had a machine shop in his support vehicle. Another rider went with a lunch-bucket size tool box. Another rider relied on internet information to keep his bike running. It was a wonderful fall ride yesterday. My guy is #70 Jimmy Bradley from Wisconsin on a 1925 Triumph model P. Bob

#1,129 ·
Just finished polishing the old bike, taking it to bike night in Adams, Mass, they close off the main street going through the center of town and anyone with a motorcycle parks and checks out everybody Else's bike, lining both side's of the street.
Of course I'm going down to take pictures.

Bill G.

An Irishman on a Limey

#1,132 ·
At 6:00 A.M. I switched out my glass tube fuse on the neg battery side to a plug type. Added another plug type to the positive side. Tightened my rattling chainguard, repaired a leaky oil hose end and then I rode and rode and rode to try and get the 1970 Commando for sale out of my mind. Went to the beach for a really great cup of .75 cent coffee. Perfect fall (ish) weather. This really is a great city when only a few people are around.

#1,133 · (Edited)
quiet please

My glas-pak inserts came for my 73 TR7 today. It made the bike quiet enough to ride to the closest fishing hole. It's time to put a proper tune on the motorcycle now there's some back-pressure. The inserts slipped right in and I drilled and tapped set screws to hold them. Bob

#1,136 ·
I really enjoy following this great thread ( Rath:thumbsup)
I haven't had much to contribute lately as I am pretty much done with my one and only build. I did bring home a new pair of EMGO shocks today. It is keeping with my retro theme but I am thinking the stock springs I had looks better. I'll run them for a while, maybe they will look better to me if I paint em green.

#1,137 · (Edited)
I had to look on Page 3 to find this thread. I know the warm months are behind us (except for the folks in Oz) but geesh... PAGE 3??!!!.

So, just doing my part to keep this thread on page 1.

First, nice bike, Dave. That's a very clean look for a modified OIF machine. Looks much older than it is, which on this forum is a compliment.

Today, after recovering the seat on my T120R restoration project, the sun peaked out and I decided it was a good time for a ride. Took the T140V out from under the cover and she fired right up an idled nicely as I strapped on my helmet and gloves. Took a nice ride up into the Helderbergs, a few roads I'd never been on before and just had a nice all around ride. After watching T120V's vid, I realize I need to get a good video camera to shoot a few riding vids.

What are you using T120V? And how do you have it mounted on your body? Camera is rock solid and sound is very good. Not the usual wind roar and jumpy vid.

May I suggest you have someone shoot a vid of you and your camera set up and post it here. Saving riders from trial and error extends beyond the boundaries of the motorcycle itself, ya'know.

regards,
Rob

#1,139 ·
What are you using T120V? And how do you have it mounted on your body? Camera is rock solid and sound is very good. Not the usual wind roar and jumpy vid.
The set-up is a GoPro Hero2 camera with a "Chesty" mount which is sort of like a bra for a camera that you can easily wear over your jacket (adjustable straps and confortable). For sound I have experimented with a couple of different ways but so far have found that wearing a wired lavalier mic and clipping it to my pant belt at the base of my back allows for a decent sound of the exhaust. Essentially my body creates a bit of a shield that protects the mic from the wind (you would know the proper terminology). Although the GoPro Hero2 is a bit expensive to purchase, it pays for itself in terms of ease of use, durability, reliability and quality of picture and sound. GoPro has really revolutionized the sport camera. I'll photograph the way I set it up the next time I take it out (next weekend?). Cheers from Canada. ;)