Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
7781 - 7800 of 8301 Posts

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Eli, 500 fun factor, lighter and more tossable? Or faster - quicker?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Eli, 500 fun factor, lighter and more tossable? Or faster - quicker?
It's louder (pretty sure the PO removed the exhaust baffles), lighter and you have to work it harder to ride fast (of course speed is relative) so it's a lot more engaging. Lots of wide open throttle action, staying in the upper rpm range and constantly working my way up and down the box. It's a hoot on short blasts, a bit more tiring on longer trips where the torque and better tyres of the 650 makes for a more relaxing experience at normal speeds.

·
Banned
1,291 Posts
It's louder (pretty sure the PO removed the exhaust baffles), lighter and you have to work it harder to ride fast (of course speed is relative) so it's a lot more engaging. Lots of wide open throttle action, staying in the upper rpm range and constantly working my way up and down the box. It's a hoot on short blasts, a bit more tiring on longer trips where the torque and better tyres of the 650 makes for a more relaxing experience at normal speeds.
Sounds like I'm too old, I avoid hard work these days!
Mind you, it must be a bit easier to kick-start? If so, I should get one when I'm even a bit more old?!

·
Registered
9,033 Posts
500s are very popular around here. I suspect it is due to the work you put in riding it through the gears and spinning that motor up. My own T120r gives me a lot more fun that any bike i have owned and mainly due to the involvement of operating it and listening for strange noises when you wring its neck a bit.
I did ride a 3TA many yeas ago and it felt a bit flat in performance but later tried a 5TA bathtub and that was quite fast for back in 1972. Enjoyed the 5TA just for a day when i borrowed it.

·
Registered
9,033 Posts
Lubed clutch cable. Dry chain lube and Oxford lube tool.

View attachment 774957
Alex, you might consider moto cross chain lube. It seems to keep the chain dirt repellant so i have not cleaned a chain in the last 10 years. It does fling a fair bit off every ride and makes a mess of the rear wheel but chain life is excellent.

·
Banned
1,291 Posts
Alex, you might consider moto cross chain lube. It seems to keep the chain dirt repellant so i have not cleaned a chain in the last 10 years. It does fling a fair bit off every ride and makes a mess of the rear wheel but chain life is excellent.
👍 Will do, next purchase!

At moment, I've got an auto-chain lubricating system*, so never need to apply anything.

*A sometimes-leak, just a drip or two, and only when running. It runs across frame and, fortuitously, onto the chain. None gets on tyre.

·
Registered
903 Posts
As my dipswitch repair broke sometime during the last couple of months, while the bike was under its cover, I spent an evening fitting the innards of a pattern Honda Cub switch to the original top housing. This did involve removal of some material from the housing which was done with a drill and some small files and also the addition of some lengths of chopstick .
It seems like it’s going to work, I’ll solder it to the original grey cable in a bit and see.

·
Banned
1,291 Posts
Not often something goes well. Did today!

Used the pump that arrived today, drained my primary oil.

Motor vehicle Sleeve Military camouflage Personal protective equipment Camouflage

Ditched the hard plastic hose, which wouldn't go inside primary case. Use a softer hose from a Vax 3-in-1 carpet vacuum cleaner/shampooer.

Couldn't get into crank sump through timing hole. Nevermind.

Didit on a piece of white paper. Not the ineey weenyiest drop of oil.

Did with cold oil, no problem, straight out even with the thin tube. There's a thicker tube I'd use for oil tank (oif).

Afterwards, drained oil out, again no spills.

Wood Comfort Flooring Floor Thigh

I'm converted! No more oil going up my arm, ponding where it shouldn't. It was quick, quiet and mess-free.

Just a bit worried, two things never go well in a row...

·
Registered
9,033 Posts
As my dipswitch repair broke sometime during the last couple of months, while the bike was under its cover, I spent an evening fitting the innards of a pattern Honda Cub switch to the original top housing. This did involve removal of some material from the housing which was done with a drill and some small files and also the addition of some lengths of chopstick
It seems like it’s going to work, I’ll solder it to the original grey cable in a bit and see.

View attachment 775218

Ditched the hard plastic hose, which wouldn't go inside primary case. Use a softer hose from a Vax 3-in-1 carpet vacuum cleaner/shampooer.

Did with cold oil, no problem, straight out even with the thin tube. There's a thicker tube I'd use for oil tank (oif).

View attachment 775219

I'm converted! No more oil going up my arm, ponding where it shouldn't. It was quick, quiet and mess-free.

View attachment 775218

View attachment 775219

Well, while you have the pump next to the armchair, it can now pump beer as you watch TV. I have one of those 12volt pumps and it is worth having. Best use is on my BSA Spitfire oil tank.

7781 - 7800 of 8301 Posts