Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
7761 - 7780 of 8301 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,960 Posts
I read the terminal thread. The terminals I've introduced are not critical, they are for ancillary items (those with fuses in tool compartment). Other than the hotwire, which is under zero stress. I'm not recrimping existing connections. I'm 60 tomorrow, time's getting short... and, I'm going to grow old shamelessly.
I used to use salvaged harnesses to color match, then when I finally used up the 4 or 5 old harnesses I had, I started using crimp-on automotive ones. People give me grief, but I have NEVER had a terminal failure on about 70+ classic British bikes I have worked on for clients, and zero failures on 44 Triumphs, 13 Nortons and 4 BSAs I've owned, that I put crimp connectors on.

I always gave my clients the choice, too...

·
Banned
1,291 Posts
@alex the biker what’s this hot wire your talking about?

John.
If the bike stops, could be electrical. Say, a dirty switch, or shorted something or other.
The hot wire connects the ignition directly to battery.

Hood Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive design Vehicle

The hotwire is marked green. The connection I would swap it with is marked red.
Therefore, at roadside, could get home, if above problems occur.
Also good to quickly rule in or out above problems at home.
There's a thread of StuartMac 's how to do this, maybe he remembers the link.

·
Super Moderator
10,353 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm an electrical engineer and deal with wiring all day long. I also don't like the blue crimp on connectors, but if they are done correctly, there is nothing wrong with them and they will work for a very long time. I prefer to solder my connections and connectors, but there are times that that is just overkill, and the blue connectors will suffice. Problem is, most people don't know how to crimp them on correctly. However, even done poorly, they will work and last a long time.

Rob

·
Banned
1,291 Posts
Ok, ok, so it’s just me. I used to wire up very expensive scanners, and I knew someone would look!
You gave up to quickly, Mick.
My connectors will doubtless outlive me; however, there is an elegance and beauty in the crimps you suggest. I'd have said, given my background, God is in the details. What that means is, even if a detail is buried in the middle of a wall, someone knows it's there. As I ride along, I would get a tidge more satisfaction with the knowledge beautiful detailing is hidden under the seat I'm sitting on.
Not changing the crimps though! They'll do.

·
Super Moderator
13,960 Posts
... crimped by someone in the original Lucas company are still working 47 years later ... and the first I crimped are still working 39 years later ...
I am almost positive that I have crimps still holding 40+ years, but I just don't have those bikes or equipment any more. Last year I sold a couple of bikes that I had since the '90s and they were doing fine. The bike I've had the longest, that I re-wired or repaired electrical on, has only been with me since I built it in 2007 (my Bonneville race bike)

I had a '70 Bonnie "TrophyVille" that I got in 1999 that still had ALL the original Lucas stuff, I never had a battery in it, the original 2MC capacitor is all it ever needed. I had to make a few minor repairs to get the lights going after I bought it (also rings, valve job and tires). As far as I know the point & condensers were original. So original stuff still good 40 years on; the stuff I did to it was still good 20 years on.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Oh, yeah, an original '67 taillight and lightswitch in the sidecover...

·
Banned
1,291 Posts
Strobe-timed my T140.

To drain oil in the house, had to take centre stand off. When tried strobing in garden, garden and me got seriously covered in oil from inspection hole. I was seriously miffed.

Ah, I thought 💡! Tipped bike other way, into footrest.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

NO oil is sprayed out at all, even at 5,000 revs! Unlike on centre stand.

Not only that bike doesn't judder backwards; it bounces on front forks. Centre stand had previously damaged brick paviours.

Two wins, no oil spray, no bike going for walkies.

·
Banned
1,291 Posts
Also used my new throttle holder for first time when strobing.

Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Can hold throttle at any position, releases when twisting to deacclerate.

Act as bar weights too. Will see how vibration is reduced tomorrow on a ride.

Got it to slightly hold throttle open on starting, so can put my gloves and helmet on after kicking.

7761 - 7780 of 8301 Posts