Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
7741 - 7760 of 8301 Posts

·
Banned
1,291 Posts
Not to be outdone, seeing Andytheflyer 's topbox https://www.triumphrat.net/cdn-cgi/...ww.triumphrat.net/attachments/024-jpg.773794/

... I assembled a bar riser that wouldn't fit without clashing with my T140E consule, a number plate from said dead T140E, four DIY brackets, and something that could pass for Tinky Winky's handbag.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Fender Automotive design

That void above light was created to be filled.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Big enough for my litre fuel bottle, tools, and several Mars Bars.

Tinky Winky's the purple Teletubby, if anyone was wondering.

·
Registered
9,033 Posts
Not to be outdone, seeing Andytheflyer 's topbox https://www.triumphrat.net/cdn-cgi/...ww.triumphrat.net/attachments/024-jpg.773794/

... I assembled a bar riser that wouldn't fit without clashing with my T140E consule, a number plate from said dead T140E, four DIY brackets, and something that could pass for Tinky Winky's handbag.

View attachment 773959

That void above light was created to be filled.

View attachment 773961

View attachment 773960

Big enough for my litre fuel bottle, tools, and several Mars Bars.

Tinky Winky's the purple Teletubby, if anyone was wondering.
What about La La then

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Mid afternoon ride to have tea and cakes with friends 20mi away, wife and child making their own way in the car. The ride there was great, just a light drizzle. Coming home in the dark in pouring rain with strong gusts of wind was not so pleasant... The country roads around here are pretty scary at night when wet in even a modern car, everything turns black. And then I ran out of petrol 4mi from home and had to sheepishly call the wife. She was not impressed at having to bundle the kid back into the car, find a petrol can, get petrol and arrive to find me grinning ear to ear.

View attachment 773742
That you were grinning ear to ear when she arrived is priceless! I'm envious! :D🍻

·
Banned
1,291 Posts
A cold, hard rain is falling on this grey day today, to paraphrase a folk singer. Expect even theives are cowering under their duvets.
In preparation for a brighter day, I've been thinking about those theives.

Classic Triumphs don't generally have drilled brake discs, so they can't have a lock through a drilled hole. Chains are heavy and have to be very thick to be effective.

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Vehicle

Here's my solution, using my cycling D-lock. Think the shank is 11mm. Importantly, those theives can't get a jack between the prongs. Amazingly cheap if bought from a bicycle retailer.

Tire Wheel Crankset Bicycle tire Bicycle frame

Doubles as a helmet lock.

Light Black Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bag

And dead easy to carry, although a pillion might have a word or two in your ear.

Alternatively, this offers better bike security harder to access lock or remove back than front wheel. Also stops pilfering hands getting under saddle. Less security for helmet, though, as cables are easily cut with a small hand tool. I'll probably use this, as it helps protect ignition and battery from said hands. Bit muckier, around dirt and chain-flung oil.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
9,033 Posts
Today I’ve been in the garage and decided to polish my T140 I used peak polish on the alloy and chrome also used Maguires Ceramic wax on the paintwork, and she’s come up like new.
View attachment 774045
Nearly the same as my colours. I like the purple and white. Far too shiny so ride through some puddles soon.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Banned
1,291 Posts
Nearly the same as my colours. I like the purple and white. Far too shiny so ride through some puddles soon. View attachment 774049
Have to admit, my bike is a pampered lounge queen. It even came home in a van on my last trip (sigh).

But I do really like that patinaered... hang on, quick google ... patinated purple.

Bit worried about the parking though...

·
Banned
1,291 Posts
Had a tidy up. The Great Spaghetti of Wires was causing me anxiety.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting

Would preferred to have mounted a fuse box, but wasn't room, really, not without a fair bit of work.

What I now have is just main fuse and hotwire fuse in battery area, the two important ones. All other blade fuse holders (day riding lights, heated grips, battery charger connection) are in toolroll section.
Battery can now be easily accessed, and I can see what's going on.

I've made tape flags for the hot wire and main fuse connections, so it's easily identified and swapped if I breakdown (sigh). This is a first and easy diagnostic. Thanks to StuartMac for the hotwire guidance . The fuse for the hotwire is in the bag taped to the wire, alleviating any shorting out. The hotwire may one day be my ticket home.

Wires are taped away from the guillotine-edge that seperates battery and tool compartments.

Underside of seat has foam. Not only prevents shorting out, but holds everything still, so no rubbing.

·
Registered
9,033 Posts

View attachment 774139

Would preferred to have mounted a fuse box, but wasn't room, really, not without a fair bit of work.

What I now have is just main fuse and hotwire fuse in battery area, the two important ones. All other blade fuse holders (day riding lights, heated grips, battery charger connection) are in toolroll section.

I've made tape flags for the hot wire and main fuse connections, so it's easily identified and swapped if I breakdown (sigh). This is a first and easy diagnostic. Thanks to StuartMac for the hotwire guidance . The fuse for the hotwire is in the bag taped to the wire, alleviating any shorting out. The hotwire may one day be my ticket home.

Wires are taped away from the guillotine-edge that seperates battery and tool compartments.

Underside of seat has foam. Not only prevents shorting out, but holds everything still, so no rubbing.
I have a thin sheet of rubber mat that covers that entire area. held with cable ties to keep it in place like hinges, just lift to expose all the wiring. Keeps the metal seat base totally isolated from the wiring below. I have a spare wire like that ready to connect right to the Boyer and this isolates any other wiring to get me home. Not used it yet as my only electrical failures have been the Boyer unit so i was stuffed.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts

View attachment 774139

I'm ashamed of you Alex, do I see those horrible squidgy insulated terminals? HERE are the ones to use, along with the male and female insulators (and of course a proper "W" crimp tool).
Cheers,
Mick.

·
Banned
1,291 Posts
I'm ashamed of you Alex, do I see those horrible squidgy insulated terminals? HERE are the ones to use, along with the male and female insulators (and of course a proper "W" crimp tool).
Cheers,
Mick.
I read the terminal thread. The terminals I've introduced are not critical, they are for ancillary items (those with fuses in tool compartment). Other than the hotwire, which is under zero stress. I'm not recrimping existing connections. I'm 60 tomorrow, time's getting short... and, I'm going to grow old shamelessly.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I read the terminal thread. The terminals I've introduced are not critical, they are for ancillary items (those with fuses in tool compartment). Other than the hotwire, which is under zero stress. I'm not recrimping existing connections. I'm 60 tomorrow, time's getting short... and, I'm going to grow old shamelessly.
If you're ever across here again, I'll put some proper ones on when your back's turned!

7741 - 7760 of 8301 Posts