Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
7141 - 7160 of 7201 Posts

·
Registered
11,738 Posts
Well worth the expense.
I agree. My old carbs weren't too bad but I figured the bike has been enormously dependable with all year riding these last few years, why not upgrade where possible to keep the good performance going.

200 main jets hopefully.
I asked Mike at Walridge Motors to put in what he thought would right with the new 750 barrel. He put in 210's because that's what he puts in for the 750's. I asked him what he thought about 200's before he shipped them out to me a couple of days ago. He said to see how it goes with the 210's. If it's too rich he'll send me 200's no charge. My thought is that when the weather turns much colder, like in late October and November/December- the 210's might be just right. 200's for summer. We'll see. I ordered the 200's anyway because with the extreme temperature changes I think I'm going to need them and maybe a few different needles on hand anyway. Still learning after all these years...

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I can remember my father's Ford Anglia struggling up Porlock Hill, early 60s ish. By the late 70s I was down there often, hang gliding off Bossington Hill then having a beer in the Ship Inn at Porlock Weir. great days. Did fly off Porlock Hill one day, shallow hill to run off with trees to get over before flying over the ridge, good fun.

·
Registered
11,738 Posts
I mounted the clocks in a Triples Rule 3-Gauge Bracket.

Hth.

Regards,
Thanks for posting. I had tried to order a set several months ago but these were "out of stock" for a while and I gave up (maybe due to lockdown?). They are available now and have been ordered. (y)

Canadian Special?
I asked Amal if they could also include a red maple leaf along with the red and white float bowl drain plug washers. They said they'll get back to me. ;)

I use the grey/off-white ones - thick and squashy, the (chromed brass) screws can be tightened by hand and the washers seal. (y)

Hth.

Regards,
Sounds good! I'll give those a try. (y)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Been a soggy last few days here in Cheshire but this morning's v early dog walk was in the windless mist, here on this fairly high ground where I live, so a portent of a possibly nice day. Whatever, it was the Daytona's turn to be taken out for some exercise, so I hoped for a nice afternoon.

And what an afternoon it was. The lunchtime dog walk was in a cloudless blue sky and very warm, so picked another 3 blackberry-and apple crumbles-worth of blackberries and once back, it was roll the Daytona out into the sun, check oil (fine - never needs any), fuel (needed a bit) and tyre pressures all fine. A tickle and some choke and a first kick start. As usual.

Togged up and off we went. No real idea of where to go so let the mood take me. Half way round, beyond Ellesmere, an eventual (and uneventful) 65 miler on lanes and quiet A roads here in the Marches, and the bike was telling me off for dawdling. Give me some beans it said. Stop pootling.

So I did for around 30 miles. Up and down the box, powering around bends rather than cruising round, and both bike and rider has a whale of a time in the warm late summer sun. But, Meriden, why did you not give a fantastic bike a 5 speed box?

No drips on the drive afterwards, no leaks, no dramas. Just a ride as it should be, past hedges now being cut ready for winter (note to self - check tyre pressures in a few days), past fields no longer full of waving corn, or even stubble, just ploughed, cultivated and with next year's crop already sown.

Autumn's around the corner. How many more classic riding days like this this year I wonder? Difficult year for me, but today lifted the spirits enormously. Thank you, Triumph.

·
Registered
T140V '73 / Being built T140V '73 with T140E '78 engine / Bits in boxes T140V '77
365 Posts
Went for a ride. Too much fiddling--sorry fettling--with the T140. A warm, not hot, sunny day with, to my mind, a melancholic waning of the sun, hinting of the season to come.

So, out for a ride.

From my house, through the pleasant Georgian quarter, across one of the world's greatest bridges--Brunel's Suspension Bridge--into North Somerset.

Water Boat Water resources Vehicle Fluvial landforms of streams

Brunel's SS Great Britain, the world's first steam ship, passes under his bridge, arriving back home in Bristol (1970, not today)

From there, through parkland that offers a vista of Bristol.

Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree

My house is just by the dark-topped tower on the left

Then cross country on paths, no traffic.

The destination town shall remain nameless. Other than its fame as birth place to the lead singer of Wurzels, it offers little, it's a drab, provincial place, where today I got shouted at, as well as mumbled at.

That's the bike, same handlebars near enough to the T100 bars (onwhich M Bars are obviously, shall be say, influenced).
Tire Wheel Bicycle Vehicle Bicycle tire

Oh, yes, it was a pedal-cycle day. Strengthens the knee for kick starting. And I'm caring for someone who I got to go out, on my electric bike. So I forwent the motorised ride I was planning.

·
Registered
8,393 Posts
Clifton bridge had a lot of history. Brunel had died before completion and it was finished by 2 other engineers. Clifton was the longest bridge span at the time of the build.The whole work stopped at one point so the two pillars had a wire strung between them for public joy rides. Brunel was the first person to test it. We have the Brunel atmospheric railway near me. A train powered by pressurizing a land pipe at Starcross. Only the boiler house remains now but a diesel track is still on that route. I might be seeing the SS Great Britain next week on a day out. Not seen it for 20 years and it is much changed since then.
Brunel also built the rail bridge at Plymouth over the Tamar .

·
Registered
T140V '73 / Being built T140V '73 with T140E '78 engine / Bits in boxes T140V '77
365 Posts
Didn't know about the fun rides on a wire! So Brunel was a first with zip wiring too?

Fun fact: construction start on the bridge was delayed due to The Bristol riots. It's capital T on the the. You see, we have riots quite regularly in Bristol 😄

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
From my house, through the pleasant Georgian quarter, across one of the world's greatest bridges--Brunel's Suspension Bridge--into North Somerset.

View attachment 765331
Brunel's SS Great Britain, the world's first steam ship, passes under his bridge, arriving back home in Bristol (1970, not today)
The company I worked for for 25 years had the old Queen Victoria hospital off Redland Road as its SW offices. Went there many times. Lovely setting.

·
Super Moderator
8,842 Posts
Hi Alex,
can't see any difference in the sweep forward/back compared to an M Bar.
I've a pair around, they are very different,
Turned to be a bit difficult balancing on the rearsets while holding the T90/T100 'bars in about the same orientation as the M 'bars in one hand and the camera in the other ... I hope the following is good enough to show the differences between the mid-1960's T90/T100 'bars (on top) and real M Bars (underneath):-

Speedometer Motorcycle Odometer Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

... the angle of the M 'bars first bend from the clamps isn't as great as the same bend on the T90/T100 'bars, so the second bend is well clear of the ally clock holders:-

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Carbon Rim

... the angle of the second bend in the M 'bars is only a little greater than the corresponding bend in the T90/T100 'bars but, as the top photo. shows, the combination of the different bend angles puts the end of the M 'bars in quite a different position; plenty of clearance past the clock holders:-

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system

Also as the top photo. shows, M 'bars between the second bends and the ends have more than enough length to accommodate both twistgrip and '79-on switch clusters; in fact, length's enough for the separate twistgrip and switch cluster on earlier disc-brake versions.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hi Alex,

Turned to be a bit difficult balancing on the rearsets while holding the T90/T100 'bars in about the same orientation as the M 'bars in one hand and the camera in the other ... I hope the following is good enough to show the differences between the mid-1960's T90/T100 'bars (on top) and real M Bars (underneath):-

View attachment 765381

... the angle of the M 'bars first bend from the clamps isn't as great as the same bend on the T90/T100 'bars, so the second bend is well clear of the ally clock holders:-

View attachment 765382

... the angle of the second bend in the M 'bars is only a little greater than the corresponding bend in the T90/T100 'bars but, as the top photo. shows, the combination of the different bend angles puts the end of the M 'bars in quite a different position; plenty of clearance past the clock holders:-

View attachment 765383

Also as the top photo. shows, M 'bars between the second bends and the ends have more than enough length to accommodate both twistgrip and '79-on switch clusters; in fact, length's enough for the separate twistgrip and switch cluster on earlier disc-brake versions.

Hth.

Regards,
Thanks for that Stuart. Looks like my money saving was a futile expense. Still one for experience, Rats. Norman Hyde beckons.

If you can do one-handed selfies like that, we await your action-shot for Triumph of the month submission

·
Registered
365 Posts
Also, I like that there is a greater sweep-back. Would be even kinder on the wrists than my 100 bars

·
Registered
365 Posts
Food Packaging and labeling Packing materials Font Plant
Anyway, today I bought a pack of ten bics from Wilco for £2.

Wheel Bicycle Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle hub

And fixed my rattly brake pads.

Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

Looks better too, hiding rusty split pins. It was yucky and oily in there. Have to fix the fork seals sometime....

And have eight pens for making notes

·
Super Moderator
8,842 Posts
Hi Alex,
Norman Hyde beckons.
Let me check my other pair of M 'bars, which I can do Sunday (hopefully). Reason is:-

. The ones on the "Hyde" site (Norman having sold it and retired) appear to have a rise (or fall, depending on which way up) from the central clamping area - then the problem with that is a rise'll raise the master cylinder towards the clock mounting; otoh, bar ends lower than the centre might put 'em too low to be comfortable?

. Like the pair in my photos., I've had the other pair for donkey's years too; I have it in mind they're flat - all the bends in one plane - but I should check my memory before sounding alarm bells.

If you can do one-handed selfies like that, we await your action-shot for Triumph of the month submission
Mmmm ... Our Steamed Moderator Face Plants Into T160 Console ... lacks a little ... je ne sais quoi?

Some years ago, I posted a 'selfie' someone had taken with the camera mounted about on the end of the 'bar, background showed the bike leaned over at some fantastic angle. Someone posted asking if it was me in the selfie ... I answered honestly ... :whistle:

rusty split pins.
Stainless R-pins - M10 size iirc. No worries about reusing 'em. (y)

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Hi
Is that a CB750 k0 in the background, it looks like it’s been dragged from a swamp!
I know they salt the roads heavily in Scotland, but that really highlights the problems you face.

·
Registered
11,738 Posts
Nice work, Alex! (y)
While breaking in the new cylinder I lost my garage door opener remote that was attached to the zipper of my jacket. Thought it was lost on the road however a sharp eye will spot where it landed on the bike and remained throughout a 100km breakin ride on the weekend in the first pic.
That motivated me to velcro the remote under the seat with a fail safe zip tie just in case the velcro fails to hold it in place.
Changed the oil again. Thank you dinosaurs.
Also...more goodies arrived to add to the new carb install this weekend. Nothing like working on your vintage bike during an otherwise boring existence during a restrictive pandemic! (y)

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Tire Hood Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle

Font Eyewear Serveware Electric blue Glass

7141 - 7160 of 7201 Posts