Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
7121 - 7140 of 7201 Posts

·
Registered
T140V '73 / Being built T140V '73 with T140E '78 engine / Bits in boxes T140V '77
365 Posts
Thanks for the info, Stuart

Trouble having the bike in the house is I don't stop fiddling, was up to 5am. I could have a live feed on "What I did with my Triumph today."

In the end, best I came up with is taking binnacle apart, inspired by your T160 mount suggestion, and placing a single washer between each clock housing and the ignition module. That spreads them enough to allow spacers between the binnacle and yoke, pushing them away from handlebars a bit. Adjusted tilt on bars, and now have about 2mm clearance.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive lighting

Now that I have fitted the brake lever and piston on bars I discover I can't use swept-back risers--it would pull the brake into into the clocks.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive design

Although, I might get away using this, I might get a pair and give them a try.
Metal Font Fashion accessory Shadow Tool

Another problem is the throttle twist is poking half an inch out from the bar end, whole brake unit is stopped by the bar curve. Don't think it matters, I'll leave a hand grip half inch proud from other end.

I just can't love that binnacle, it's so blobby and rubbery. Does look better nested in sweep back, though. Note there is fire damage to the idiot lights and cable. The binnacle saved the clocks, lovely mint Smiths. You can see the trip rod at back that pokes out melted, that's the only damage. Just tested speedo with cable in a drill--got 90mph, a best speed with this engine!

That bracket you and Peg linked to is lovely. Just not £200 lovely! Bought burnt out bike off insurer for £885!

I had a bad day yesterday. Got home and the bars arrived a couple of hours later. Once fitted, i hadn't been so happy in a long time. So, I must point out they are not "not real M Bars"! They are these
Automotive tire Font Gas Rectangle Office ruler

I exaggerated a bit, less than half price of M Bars, not quite a third though. Got them here

I can't see any difference in the sweep forward/back compared to an M Bar.

·
Registered
8,393 Posts
Got out this afternoon for a run around the lanes. Been meaning to stop at this 1950 AA box for years so i did today. No longer in use and now just ornamental. There are quite a few of these wooden boxes left around Devon along with red phone boxes that are used for free book libraries.
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Motorcycle

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Got out this afternoon for a run around the lanes. Been meaning to stop at this 1950 AA box for years so i did today. No longer in use and now just ornamental. There are quite a few of these wooden boxes left around Devon along with red phone boxes that are used for free book libraries. View attachment 765238
I still have a key to fit that box lying around somewhere...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Not seen a AA box for years. Come to think of it, not many red phone boxes either, but we do have one in the village, complete with a phone!

EDIT: Inevitably, that sent me off on a Google. There's one left in Cheshire, about 30 miles from me, so if we get a nice day, that's a ride out on the Tiger 750 to the vicinity of Tatton Park.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I noticed while out and about yesterday that an old red Gilbert Scott phone box had been painted green with yellow beading, and was re-purposed as a location for a defibrillator.

·
Registered
T140V '73 / Being built T140V '73 with T140E '78 engine / Bits in boxes T140V '77
365 Posts
I'm a bit worried about breaking down now that they are becoming rarer
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Plant

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I remember my dad getting a salute from an AA patrolman on his yellow and black combi, when I was maybe 5 or 6, as we passed in the Moggy Traveller. That would have been a classic now if it survived. The combi that is. Mind you, the Traveller would be too.

Just had another look at the location of the Cheshire AA box (see above). It's on the rat race that are the new feeder roads to the M56 south of Manc. Job for the Hinckley Bonnie, not a classic then........

·
Super Moderator
8,842 Posts
Hi Alex,
"not real M Bars"!
Got them here
I can't see any difference in the sweep forward/back compared to an M Bar.
I nearly posted earlier I wondered if they were mid-1960's T90/T100 'UK & General Export' 'bars.

I've a pair around, they are very different, I'll post a photo. tomorrow.

throttle twist is poking half an inch out from the bar end, whole brake unit is stopped by the bar curve.
... because the T90/T100 'bars are intended for a drum-brake lever.

fitted the brake lever and piston on bars I discover I can't use swept-back risers--it would pull the brake into into the clocks.
best I came up with is taking binnacle apart
and placing a single washer between each clock housing and the ignition module. That spreads them enough to allow spacers between the binnacle and yoke, pushing them away from handlebars a bit. Adjusted tilt on bars, and now have about 2mm clearance.
Otoh, real M 'bars just bolt on ... :)

Hth.

Regards,

·
Super Moderator
8,842 Posts
Hi,
Not seen a AA box for years. Come to think of it, not many red phone boxes either,
AA box just up the road from me. Few red 'phone boxes still around too. Usually because lack of mobile 'phone signal in the areas.

Wasnt it the case that if the AA man didnt give a salute, it was a warning of a speed trap ahead?
If your vehicle displayed an AA badge, any patrol was supposed to salute. If you didn't see a salute, you were supposed to stop and ask why. Then the patrol could advise you of any 'problems' ahead ... RAC had a similar arrangement?

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
753 Posts
How on earth could that work going in the opposite direction other than at walking pace, when a warning wouldn’t matter anyway!

·
Registered
8,393 Posts
Last time i went up Porlock hill on the coast at the top of Devon, there was a wooden AA box at the top. It used to have buckets of water to replenish the radiator if you actually got to the top. A notorious steep climb with hairpin bends that lead on to The Valley of the Rocks. A great riding road along a cliff road ending in a very steep downhill, Countesberry hill i think down to Lynmouth, the home of the cliff railway that still works. great holiday area.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Regrettably no pics, but whilst away camping at the weekend, I went a run out to a few quiet villages with post boxes still proudly displaying VR and Her crown

·
Registered
8,393 Posts
This weekend's project just came in the mail! (y)

View attachment 765257
200 main jets hopefully. Mine were good right out of the box. About 10 years old now and last time i looked, there is no wear or scoring on the slides. They have stuck and flooded at times when i tickled them but once fire up, the flooding stops right away. Like yours, mine has no air filters. I also needed to use the tops from the old ones due to cable entry differences. Some carbs have had swarf inside so worth a look. You will appreciate the better running of the new carbs compared to ones that have worn slides.

·
Registered
1976 Triumph T140V and 2002 Triumph Thunderbird 900
50 Posts
Last time i went up Porlock hill on the coast at the top of Devon, there was a wooden AA box at the top. It used to have buckets of water to replenish the radiator if you actually got to the top. A notorious steep climb with hairpin bends that lead on to The Valley of the Rocks. A great riding road along a cliff road ending in a very steep downhill, Countesberry hill i think down to Lynmouth, the home of the cliff railway that still works. great holiday area.
@rambo I drove up Porlock hill in 1996 in a Ford Sierra 2000 estate with a six berth caravan and 4 passengers, I didn’t know it’s reputation when we got up to the top my ex wife said I’m glad we’ve got up here safely, I said what goes up has to come down. When we got to the campsite in Devon no one would believe that I’d driven up there with the caravan on the back.
The camp site was Stowford farm meadows .
John.

·
Registered
365 Posts
First time I went up Porlock Hill, in my Triumph Acclaim, it went well enough. Returning from Cornwall, going down it, I blew my exhaust.

My mechanic said, when I took the car in, "I might have gone down in second, not first".

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
What colour are the sealing washers on the float bowl supposed to be?

7121 - 7140 of 7201 Posts