Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
7101 - 7120 of 7201 Posts

·
Registered
11,738 Posts
I’ll keep you all posted as to how I get on with the first couple of rides.
Dave
Hope all is good, Dave!

Third break-in ride this perfect morning. No traffic and great cool temperature. So far Mr. Pete's tried and true recommended break-in method has been ultra successful. New carbs arrive next week. Tuning new carbs means more excuses to ride. Too much fun! (y)

Tire Wheel Bicycle Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Plant Sky Wheel Fuel tank

·
Registered
T140V '73 / Being built T140V '73 with T140E '78 engine / Bits in boxes T140V '77
365 Posts
My 'did with my Triumph' is low tech. Had a fire damaged '78 mudguard for a '73 frame.

Cut sides off that suffered worst damage and had scallop for hydraulics that won't be needed. Will not be having side panels, so adds 'airiness' whilst protecting frame and still offering support at bottom.

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Cut front six or eight inches off to avoid the indentation for coils tray and worst damage. This leaves the only nice bit of chrome left poking out as a café-flavour rear end.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Front mudguard is from a rusty rather than fire damaged bike. Rusted through and dented. Cut to maximum size to avoid the worst damage.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Waste not, want not.

·
Registered
8,393 Posts
My 'did with my Triumph' is low tech. Had a fire damaged '78 mudguard for a '73 frame.

Cut sides off that suffered worst damage and had scallop for hydraulics that won't be needed. Will not be having side panels, so adds 'airiness' whilst protecting frame and still offering support at bottom.

View attachment 764950

Cut front six or eight inches off to avoid the indentation for coils tray and worst damage. This leaves the only nice bit of chrome left poking out as a café-flavour rear end.

View attachment 764951

Front mudguard is from a rusty rather than fire damaged bike. Rusted through and dented. Cut to maximum size to avoid the worst damage.

View attachment 764953

Waste not, want not.
Those silencers are by far, the noisiest ones i have ever used. You might like the noise they make on the overun with about 3 to 4000 rpm.

·
Registered
T140V '73 / Being built T140V '73 with T140E '78 engine / Bits in boxes T140V '77
365 Posts
Those silencers are by far, the noisiest ones i have ever used. You might like the noise they make on the overun with about 3 to 4000 rpm.
Oh! I'd better put the wadding back in then.

You mean deaccelerating? What sound do they make?

They're rubbish anyway. Supposedly to fit a classic bike, diameter much to big for downpipes

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hello Alex,
They're "universal", so come with spacer collars so they fit everything equally badly
I have all the spacers on. And crushed outer to super-tighten it. Wags like a tail on a very happy dog!

·
Registered
8,393 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Made it to the normandy beach race and back in one piece. I followed the coast on the way down yesterday but the roads weren't much fun. A friend with a new ktm 1290 was happy to follow me on the way back today and I had charted a different route. Left Ouistreham at 10am and only arrived home at 5pm. The whole day was spent enjoying amazing b roads at 55-65mph. The little triumph was flying!

The event itself was very cool, a relaxed mix of hot rodding, bikes, classic cars, rockabilly and all things petrol related.

I even got a decents night sleep in the new tent!

Tire Wheel Plant Land vehicle Vehicle

A few photos of the event :

http://instagr.am/p/CTtXWmSslly/
Mostly harleys and bmws out but I spotted another t100 and something a bit rarer...

Wheel Tire Jeans Fuel tank Vehicle

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
1,305 Posts
Eli that sounds awesome my man, lucky you! Enjoying life on two wheels to the fullest it doesn’t get any better, great pics! …FTG

Reactions: EliTR6

·
Registered
365 Posts
I use some copper sheet i cut up to get that large gap filled when using those silencers.
It sounds like this at speed
Thanks for the tip. Just ordered a strip of copper sheet.
Means I won't get copper grease on my fingers/on the dog/everywhere every time I take the exhaust off

·
Registered
8,393 Posts
Alex,The copper is very thin and used on the green roofs we have a lot of. Still use those 3 steel rings or maybe 2 and some copper. I use the black silicone boiler sealant on the joints and even the cylinder head to pipes joint. They never leak gas and the silicone stays put.

·
Registered
8,393 Posts
A bit of maintenance today. Fitted the new Renolds chain and a speedo cable as the wheel end of the cable was becoming tatty.
The new chain was a half inch shorter than the old IWIS chain with the same number of links. That is a fair bit of stretch but it has done 10k miles. The adverts for Renolds say Made in England but the package does not. Inside the packet on the sealed bag, it says made in Germany. Bear it in mind that it is German made. It is a very plain shiny steel not like the blued IWIS. Marked up as a Renold on the links and bought from Monty so probably no fakery with it. 106 pins including the link and no half link needed. Using a 20/47 sprocket pair. No wear on either sprocket as they are both kept clean and lubricated with motocross chain lubricant. Chain cost near £60. The speedo cable was very good quality for £10,65 including post.
Looking at the quality of the IWIS at £50, if i had seen the two chains together, i would have picked the IWIS. However, the Renold might be excellent so i will have to ride around for a few years to find out.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Today fitted some handlebars. Like M Bars, but third the price.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Same sweep as I've put on my two bicycles--supremely comfortable. My wrist was screwed back on after a bike accident, so I appreciate the natural positioning.

Only problem is, the clocks. It's a T140E yoke. Clocks binnacle doesn't fit. That's okay, it's ugly. Problem is that T140V clock brackets also clash.

Anyone know a clock holder with a 90 angle, so I could them into the binnacle? (Circled.)

Or, longer T140V style brackets?

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Vehicle Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Steering part

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Hi Alex
Have you tried the binnacle with the standard Triumph p mountings for the bars, rather than the risers you have fitted?
have you tried swept back risers?
The problem is if you get a bracket it is going to be expensive and based on standard bars and ’P’ mounts, unless you have something bespoke made which is very expensive, or build something yourself, cheap but maybe not the best finnish (depending on your skill). Both me and OCR (Davey)have made their own brackets, mine looks very home made with minor issues, OCR’s look like they are factory fitted.

Example only note not for T140E

regards
peg

·
Super Moderator
8,842 Posts
Hi Alex,
handlebars. Like M Bars, but third the price.
Mmmm ... sort-of ... based on the ones I've got, I'd say the bends forward go further forward than real M 'bars, which is possibly one reason for the problems you're experiencing?

Just as a matter of interest, where from?

supremely comfortable.
+1.

T140E yoke. Clocks binnacle doesn't fit. That's okay, it's ugly.
Heathen ...

Problem is that T140V clock brackets also clash.
Possibly due to the 'bars not being real M 'bars?

Anyone know a clock holder with a 90 angle, so I could them into the binnacle? (Circled.)
:confused: This bit I don't understand.

Or, while you might not like the '79-on twins (née T160) "binnacle" (for the ignition switch and idiot lamps?), why not use just the T160/'79-on twins' clock mountings, as they bolt on the top yoke you've got? You can block off the 1/4" OD holes in the sides with blind grommets.

More involved is swapping the top yoke you have for a '73-'78 twins/'73-'74 T150 one - try Yeomans?

longer T140V style brackets?
One size afaik. And they're ugly ... :sneaky: My T100 with front disc-brake, while I used the aforementioned '73-'78 twins/'73-'74 T150 top yoke, I mounted the clocks in a Triples Rule 3-Gauge Bracket.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hi Alex
Have you tried the binnacle with the standard Triumph p mountings for the bars, rather than the risers you have fitted?
have you tried swept back risers?
The problem is if you get a bracket it is going to be expensive and based on standard bars and ’P’ mounts, unless you have something bespoke made which is very expensive, or build something yourself, cheap but maybe not the best finnish (depending on your skill). Both me and OCR (Davey)have made their own brackets, mine looks very home made with minor issues, OCR’s look like they are factory fitted.

Example only note not for T140E

regards
peg
Excellent idea, Peg.
More of my money'll be winging it's way to China
Bicycle part Font Auto part Circle Rim

7101 - 7120 of 7201 Posts