Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

6561 - 6580 of 6602 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Chris, I used the Hammerite stuff neat when I de-rusted my tank. I found that diluted 10:1 it did not give the nice grey "phosphate" colour coating to the tank. Mind you, I did not want to buy enough bottles to fill the tank with neat stuff, so I had to swill it around and cover different areas of the tank at a time by tilting it and wedging it at various angles.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Hi Chris,

I use HG Rust Remover. Widely available, a £7ish bottle is all you need. Use diluted, and don't leave in the tank too long or you won't have a tank. I use it in a 5 litre plastic bottle with a side cut out for de-rusting smaller parts. You can use the diluted solution over and over again.

By far the best rust remover I've ever used. For a tank I usually throw in a few handfuls of old nuts and bolts too, give it a swill around every few hours. Since I've Caswell coated my tanks, no more rust issues - but then my bikes live in a heated garage.

Andy

·
Registered
816 Posts
Wintry sun today, and no rain. Took my music (alto and tenor saxophones) teacher her Christmas present so a 40 miler into Chester and back. Even got to ride (legally) in the Bus Lanes. I very rarely venture into the traffic but it was no problem, and provided I remembered to think far enough ahead, the 3rd to 2nd change problem was manageable. That's a job for the New Year.

The stainless steel Craven rack I bought this spring had come back from warranty re-welding by Draganfly, so I fitted that this morning and the period-correct Craven top box, so the present run was easily accomplished.

All washed up, tucked up and I'm having tea and Christmas cake. Think that's the last trip of this season. 1200 miles on the Tiger 750, and 1000 on the Daytona in 2020, despite a late start.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Out for a 10 mile ride on xmas day in the sun. This is Exmouth at the Orcombe point end of the seafront. Bike still starting easier in the cold with the 10/40 oil. needed a little engine starter spray as it has been unused for 4 weeks.
RIMG0582.JPG
RIMG0583.JPG

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Out for a 10 mile ride on xmas day in the sun. This is Exmouth at the Orcombe point end of the seafront. Bike still starting easier in the cold with the 10/40 oil. needed a little engine starter spray as it has been unused for 4 weeks. View attachment 742965 View attachment 742966
Love that purple livery, have a great Christmas Rambo

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Love that purple livery, have a great Christmas Rambo
You too peg and everyone else on this forum.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
The annual Boxing day rise turned up a few nice bikes not normally on this ride. The Vincent is badged as an Egli Vincent registered in 1971. There are also two nice hybrid bikes with Triumph engines .One of them is a Cotton.
RIMG0585.JPG
RIMG0586.JPG
RIMG0587.JPG
RIMG0588.JPG
RIMG0589.JPG
RIMG0590.JPG
RIMG0591.JPG
plus the yellow 500 trail. The Panther is 1965.
RIMG0584.JPG

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Most of the Vincents in the area have luggage and are often well used dirty bikes. I know of 8 in just this small area within 10 miles. Possibly, there are quite a few more hidden away but there are certainly a lot more than 8 if i was to go out to 30 miles. Possibly 20 on various rides i have been on locally in the last 20 years. That Egli has not been seen here until Today. Comets are a bit more common. Quite a lot for a small area which is many miles from where they were made.

·
Registered
11,665 Posts
Thanks for the pics, rambo! Glad to see the vintage bikes on the road. (y)

After a short ride today (too much black ice) brought the emergency light battery in the house to trickle charge.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Very wet ride to work this morning. No-one else coming in so I found a vip parking spot.

Hope the smell of petrol and oil goes away before the team returns!

I almost stacked it wheeling it back out. Sitting on the bike but not covering the brake when the drop back down from the step gave it more momentum than I had expected! Live and learn...

·
Registered
11,665 Posts
Wrapped my oil cooler this morning then went on a hunt for some steaks & shrimp for tonight. Nice ride in relatively warm 1* Celsius temps. Got back in time to catch the opening scene of John Wick - 2 where he's chasing a Suzuki 750 GSR with a 1970 Chevelle SS. A motorcycle & car film Lockdown Marathon today and tomorrow. Too much fun! Happy New Year, all! All the Best for 2021!

20201231_100233.jpg

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
390 Posts
Yeh in 2 were he was taking out the bikes with the chevelIe was wild, my roommate from back in the day had a nice Chevelle I have pics some where ill dig up. like John Wick 3 too, u got the motorcycle action scenes, u got Halley Berry with the dogs tearing it up, he was even using horses to kick butt!
great pic! Enjoy the din din! Happy New Year! ..... FTG

·
Registered
816 Posts
Drained the tank on my US-spec TR7RV. After Boris's directive last night even "recreation and leisure" is no longer allowed, and not sure I'll persuade Plod that riding a classic Triumph is exercise and not collect a £200 fine..

So that's it. Who knows when we'll be allowed out to play next? This year? 2022?

Tank's off so I'll check the tappets and refit the tank. Assuming LP Williams consider themselves an essential service (I think they will - the parts suppliers seemed to keep working during the first lockdown) I'll start on trying to solve the 3rd to 2nd gearchange conundrum when the parts arrive, and then check the primary chain for wear. Don't you just love getting those footpegs off?

Edit: Tappets done, all Ok except the d/s exhaust which was a bit slack. Adjusted that and covers back on. Email from LPW just now to say my gearbox parts have been posted, so they are working, and should have the bits later in the week.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Drained the tank on my US-spec TR7RV. After Boris's directive last night even "recreation and leisure" is no longer allowed, and not sure I'll persuade Plod that riding a classic Triumph is exercise and not collect a £200 fine..

So that's it. Who knows when we'll be allowed out to play next? This year? 2022?

Tank's off so I'll check the tappets and refit the tank. Assuming LP Williams consider themselves an essential service (I think they will - the parts suppliers seemed to keep working during the first lockdown) I'll start on trying to solve the 3rd to 2nd gearchange conundrum when the parts arrive, and then check the primary chain for wear. Don't you just love getting those footpegs off?
Andy, apparently you can ride alone as it is an excercise. Not that i will ride in this cold though. Any accident putting me into a hospital is too high a risk. Not fallen off in 42 years but ice might get me. Fairly safe from covid down here but the hospital in Exeter seems to be getting swamped. I would go out if the roads were dry and over 4c. Until then, i have the car.

6561 - 6580 of 6602 Posts