Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

6401 - 6420 of 6429 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
30 something miles today on the Daytona on a bright sunny Sunday, but that's it for 2020 for that bike - 910 miles in total, not bad considering we were not allowed out until May, or was it June? .

The local farmers have just started silage cropping the maize (for winter feed for cows), so our roads will now be a muddy skating rink in places for the next couple of months. It's illegal, and they can be prosecuted for it, but they rarely are. I was asked to give expert advice once (as a geologist) in a court case where a farmer had been silaging maize and left the road skiddy. A man in a Land Rover slid on the mud on a bend in the dark and was killed in a collision. The Police took the farmer to court (where I gave evidence for the Police) and he got off - the judge directed the jury to acquit since this is farming country the farmers could not be expected to keep the roads clean at all times - they had to be able to do business. Or words to that effect. Go figure. You kill someone and it's not your fault.

So, the Daytona is far too pretty and valuable to drop on a muddy bend, so it's bedtime. Strobed and tweaked the timing whilst the engine was warm, drained the petrol into my TR7RV, and rolled it into the garage. I'll wash and clean it another day soon, and drop the oils. Battery out on the bench for regular top-up charging over the next 5 months or so.

Hopefully another month yet riding the Tiger 750. It's not quite as pretty and I'm happy to get it muddy once in a while.

·
Registered
488 Posts
"the judge directed the jury to acquit . . . "

they dont have to do what he says. that right was established in britain by william penns successful defense of his london prosecution for disturbing the peace.

judges dont like it, but it established the rights of juries to ignore the judge in britain and later in america.

·
Super Moderator
12,859 Posts
Today I took my husband for a ride on my '99 Legend! Yes, we received a few odd looks.
HA! I rode pillion with my wyfe at 115MPH on her '02 Bonneville. I've never been so scared, not even when I rode monkey on an '05 LCR Suzuki GSXR1000 Formula 1 sidecar at Willow Springs. I'll NEVER ride with her again! She's much more easy-going on her '00 Legend; it's a more sedate bike anyway.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Got out for a 30 mile ride. Compared the satnav speed to the Smiths speed and found that 80mph Smiths is 76 mph gps .Not too bad an error. Not going to try for the 100mph test at the moment.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Just came back from a short 40 km ride, but done in afternoon traffic, city streets lots of traffic lights, speeds between 50 - 90 km/h. Trident behaved very nicely in outside temperature around 17-18C, good acceleration, not too much heat from the engine, oil pressure around 30 psi on idle on fully warmed up engine. No oil leaks at last ( other than from exhaust rocker box with broken o ring ). Just before a ride I installed a new speedo ( mechanical copy of magnetic Smith speedo ) completely wrong in dimensions - little to narrow, but little to high as well compared to original, luckily for me somehow fit into my big rubber Trident speedo cup and worked flawlessly.
It was the first real trip on my Trident after it caugth fire in a spring, other than short 10 km hops around my neighborhood done before. Next try 100 km trip if weather will hold.

·
7,475 Posts
Hi Adam,
new speedo ( mechanical copy of magnetic Smith speedo ) completely wrong in dimensions - little to narrow, but little to high as well compared to original, luckily for me somehow fit into my big rubber Trident speedo cup
+1. My T100 has speedo. 'n' tacho. in the very earliest style, with Veglia lookalike faces. Pre-'71 bolt-on or '71-'78 (twins) rubber cups is about all they'll fit.

Trident behaved very nicely
first real trip on my Trident after it caugth fire
(y) Well done! Hope it continues to behave for you.

Regards,

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
Rain today! Threw a "motorcycle cover" on the bike this morning when I got to parking lot. It's basically a giant grey garbage bag but keeps the cables from getting rusty too soon in this foreseeable rainy fall future.
20201015_062700.jpg

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
Thanks Stu. Hoped for some ride today, but because of a rain bike's sitting under a cover as well.
My cheap cover badly secured by me lay about 3 feet away from the bike when I got off work. Rode home in the rain. The good news was the new tires I put on in the summer did quite well on the wet asphalt.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Got a Char-Grill cover from WM a few years ago on close out, $50 cover for about 10 bucks. Fits my Honda 360 but the trumpets are too long. Guys make fun of the Char-Grill logo when it's on the bike... 😅

6401 - 6420 of 6429 Posts