Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

6381 - 6400 of 6429 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,859 Posts
Today, I pulled my '66 Bonnie out of storage to get it fired up in anticipation of the transporter coming to pick it up in a week or so; I just sold it. Anyway, the battery was flat, so I've ordered a new one, along with a pair of fork gaiters that I'll have to hustle to install before the pick-up date...

·
Registered
488 Posts
didn't do **** on a triumph.

i'm off to see if the new-to-it smartfire on my A65 will make it run with the worn-out 930 its got on it.

have some new needle jets coming. maybe they'll bring it back to life

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Perhaps new slide as well?
Not even mention a new carb, but perhaps you could cough some dough for a new 930 Wassel?
I only hope Stuart will not spot it, I heard quite good opinions about them.:)
Evolution has all futures of a Premier for $140.-

·
Registered
488 Posts
im waiting for a 2-inch center to center to carb spigot from MAP to see whether i can put an old 32mm mikuni on it that i found the other day. i have no idea where it came from. theres almost no room for an air filter if i run the mikuni.

if it wont fit ill get a No3 slide from somewhere and cobble up some sort of concentric. ive got it running now with a worn-out 106 needle jet and a 3-1/2 slide, but it needs a set of new pieces to run well.

but we're running now, so im riding it tomorrow

·
Registered
211 Posts
Perhaps new slide as well?
Not even mention a new carb, but perhaps you could cough some dough for a new 930 Wassel?
I only hope Stuart will not spot it, I heard quite good opinions about them.:)
Evolution has all futures of a Premier for $140.-
The Wassel has no-where near the quality of the Amal, I have recently used both, and the Amal was fit and forget, though I do specify 1/2 less on slide cutaway for "modern" fuel

·
Super Moderator
12,859 Posts
I'm off to see if the new-to-it smartfire on my A65 will make it run with the worn-out 930 its got on it. have some new needle jets coming. maybe they'll bring it back to life
I have drawers full of decent used concentrics - tell me what you need, I'll piece together the best I've got and send it to you. If it works, send me whatever you think it's worth (plus the old carb so I can replace it in a more-or-less matched pair). If not, just give me enough to cover the postage.

This would actually be doing ME a favor, I need to open them ALL up and write down the internal specs, maybe swap a few around for better matches, so I don't have to keep guessing what's in the boxes...

·
Registered
488 Posts
lol thank you, paul, but i think i'm good

i found an old concentric with a number three slide in a box that i have no clue as to the origin. so i robbed the slide from that, filed the slots for the choke piece so it wouldn't jam in the slide, and then put in an old 106 needle jet.

and it runs:

as well as i can expect, anyway. listen to it try to stall with the lean # 3-1/2 slide. with a #3 it runs just fine and dpoesn't gasp when you open the throttle

i still may end up with a mikuni in there, unless i put it in the victor i bought from you.

now is just have to seal the bottom of the forks so it will hold oil, and then i'm off to build the T120 track bike.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Today, I pulled my '66 Bonnie out of storage to get it fired up in anticipation of the transporter coming to pick it up in a week or so; I just sold it. Anyway, the battery was flat, so I've ordered a new one, along with a pair of fork gaiters that I'll have to hustle to install before the pick-up date...
GP, is it not feasible to drop both stanchions out of the triple tree with the front all intact to change the gaiters? Or would that method just get too hairy? :D

Reactions: GrandPaulZ

·
Registered
88 Posts
Superb! I bet the smell was absolutely fantastic!:p

·
7,475 Posts
Always struck me as odd that a builder of the largest infernal confusion engines on the planet, to power the largest man-made moving objects on the planet (ocean-going ships) should base themselves in a mountainous land-locked country hundreds of miles from any ocean ... :confused: The transport problems for early engines or even major constituent parts must've been horrendous ...

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
land it runs:

as well as i can expect, anyway. listen to it try to stall with the lean # 3-1/2 slide. with a #3 it runs just fine and dpoesn't gasp when you open the throttle
It will be different story with air filter installed, and 3-1/2 slide could be better then.

·
Registered
488 Posts
It will be different story with air filter installed, and 3-1/2 slide could be better then.
its running okay for now, but i haven't put a lot of miles on it. the main jet is gfine and a new 106 arrived today from kyle at CBS. still experimenting.

i am not impressed by the original filter, by the way. it took more time to fuss that thing into position than taking the carb on and putting it back three times. its almost as bad as a commando.

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
He had a very cool jacket. I have one that is similar and it reminded me that I should wear it for this short Indian Summer window that we are lucky to be experiencing at the moment. I'm hoping it still fits! 😟
Riding with the old Nelson Rigg jacket throughout this geat Autumn weather Thanksgiving weekend. Fits like a glove!....A pretty tight glove though. ;)

Jacket1.jpg

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Did around 200 km on a Beemer yesterday during reasonably warm ( around 20C ) but windy and rainy day what gave me opportunity to use my RHINO rain suite during a ride on the top of my 25 years old jacket and jeans. It's great combo with my Daytona boots - warm and waterproof. Bike gives this very solid impression even in a strong winds yesterday. All in all very pleasant ride.

6381 - 6400 of 6429 Posts